PewDiePie's Literature Club discussion

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
This topic is about Sapiens
May 2018 > Sapiens - Yuval Noah Harari

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Relaxingreader, Sayori (new) - added it

Relaxingreader | 75 comments Mod
This discussion is intended for talking about Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind only. This discussion can contain spoilers. You can buy the book on amazon, but there is no PewDiePie affiliate link available.

David Toth | 6 comments Anyone thinks that if you would have started learning history in schools by reading this book first, you would have a much better understanding and an actually steady concept to build on? 🤔

message 3: by N (last edited Jan 27, 2019 06:14AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

N David wrote: "Anyone thinks that if you would have started learning history in schools by reading this book first, you would have a much better understanding and an actually steady concept to build on? 🤔"
You mean like getting a short overview first and then diving into the details? Yeah might be a good idea but you'd have to shorten it to just what is going to be taught in subsequent years. We certainly did not cover this big a timespan in school.

I like the idea of studying an overview first but this book is not suited for that imo.

message 4: by David (last edited Jan 27, 2019 09:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Toth | 6 comments N wrote: I like the idea of studying an overview first but this book is not suited for that imo. "

Yes, like an overview, so that could give you a better angle to look at things, and hopefully not getting lost in them so easily.

Also, I meant from general motives as a species point of view. In my school, we discussed most of the highlights of an era from a nations', a conqueror's or religions' point of view. We tried to understand the complexity of historical junctions from the very political idea, current beliefs and literary backgrounds they lived in - which is all well and necessary to see, but barely ever we covered any of their motives from a biological or evolutionary point of view. Might have to do something with the fact that it was a Christian High School I guess.

How integrated was this evolutionary pov in your school?