Love Inspired Heartsong Presents discussion

Romancing the Widow
This topic is about Romancing the Widow
LI Heartsong Presents Author Q&A > August 4-6 Q&A with Davalynn Spencer

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Narelle (new)

Narelle (narelle_atkins) | 264 comments Our Q&A with Davalynn Spencer will start on Monday.

message 2: by Narelle (new)

Narelle (narelle_atkins) | 264 comments Welcome to our author Q&A with Davalynn Spencer.

When the handsome, dark-eyed cowboy sauntered into my life, the gate to adventure swung wide. And what a ride! Yup, I married him. As the wife of a rodeo clown and bullfighter, I got a front-seat view on a fast-paced life and great opportunities to write for national rodeo markets, winning awards in the process.

Today I'm living my dream as a novelist and living for real on Colorado's Front Range with my handsome cowboy and our Queensland heeler, Blue. I hope you'll join me in the inspirational Western romance world where I'm sure you'll find a heaping helping of faith and fresh hope.

Davalynn’s latest book, Romancing the Widow, is an August 2014 release.

Romancing the Widow by Davalynn Spencer

Martha Stanton Isn't Looking for Love

The light went out of Martha's soul when her husband fell to a bullet in St. Louis. Now, back in her hometown of Cañon City, she's convinced she'll never know happiness again. Until she crosses paths with a darkly mysterious Colorado Ranger.

Haskell Jacobs has a mission. And the beautiful, flame-haired widow sure isn't it. But Martha is somehow mixed up in the crime that brought Haskell to the rough-and-tumble town…and soon, she's entangled in the lawman's heart. But the danger that lurks around them is all too real. Can they find strength and love in each other before it's too late?

Welcome, Davalynn! I’m going to open the floor for our readers to ask questions and start our discussion.

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 71 comments Ooh, a Ranger! Love the sound of that! :)

It seems to me that when someone isn't looking for love, that's when love seems to find them!

What sparked the idea for this story?

message 4: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Hi Wendy. This is the third in my Canon City historical series that began with Annie Whitaker and Caleb Hutton. (Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't read that book!!) This book, Romancing the Widow is the story of Annie and Whit's daughter, Martha. I wrote it because I've become quite attached to this family and I wanted to give Martha her own book. I know, I know, they are characters in a novel, but when you carry on conversations with them day after day, they become almost real!

I also wasn't looking for love when I met my handsome cowboy. Neither was he. Funny how that works.

message 5: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Thanks, Narelle, for hosting me today. I love visiting with readers.

message 6: by Melody (last edited Aug 04, 2014 07:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melody | 136 comments I just started this book, thanks again! I am loving it so far! The characters in this series are real to me too! I am happy to visit old friends. :)

message 7: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Melody wrote: "I just started this book, thanks again! I am loving it so far! The characters in this series are real to me too! I am happy to visit old friends. :)"

Good to hear!

message 8: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments Hi Davalynn! What's your writing process like? Do you create detailed outlines beforehand or come up with the ideas as you go?

message 9: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Good question, Brandy. I have a rough idea in my head before I start a story, and a good handle on my characters. But I'm a seat-of-the-pantser,enjoying how the story unfolds as I write. Sometimes, I'm surprised by what my characters do. (Kind of like one's children!)

message 10: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments For those of you who might not know, I have a Goodreads giveaway for Romancing the Widow - through Aug. 8. Tell your friends!

message 11: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June | 213 comments Davalynn, Once again I loved your story. It's always fun to see how an author handles a secondary character and the hero or heroin that is created for them. As in real life, funny how things don't go the way you might expect or wish and then in the end you look back and thank God that it didn't. That He had a much better plan for you. This story was very romantic. Congratulations on another story well written. So what's next for you?

message 12: by Rose (new)

Rose Zediker | 126 comments Hi Davalynn,

Congratulations on your current release. Does this wrap up your series or are more books scheduled? And what are you working on now?

message 13: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Hi Rose,
This MAY wrap up the series, I haven't heard. I'm working on story that takes place in the 1912 era when silent movies were a big deal here in Canon City - Tom Mix and stars like that. One of the twin boys from the second book (Branding the Wrangler's Heart) is the hero. I'm having fun with this one.

message 14: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Readers, here's a question: How important is setting when you read a book?

message 15: by Rose (new)

Rose Zediker | 126 comments Davalynn wrote: "Hi Rose,
I'm working on story that takes place in the 1912 era when silent movies were a big deal here in Canon City - Tom Mix and stars like that. One..."

Sounds really interesting...great idea!

message 16: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments June wrote: "Davalynn, Once again I loved your story. It's always fun to see how an author handles a secondary character and the hero or heroin that is created for them. As in real life, funny how things don't ..."

Thank you June, I'm glad you enjoyed Martha and Haskell's story. I'm working on one about the grown up twins of Whit and Livvy, and I have a couple of other stories brewing as well. One is a contemporary set on the California coast.

message 17: by Melody (last edited Aug 05, 2014 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melody | 136 comments I just finished it today! Loved it! I loved the apple picking adventure! ;)

message 18: by Narelle (new)

Narelle (narelle_atkins) | 264 comments Davalynn wrote: "I wrote it because I've become quite attached to this family and I wanted to give Martha her own book. I know, I know, they are characters in a novel, but when you carry on conversations with them day after day, they become almost real!"

Davalynn, I totally relate, especially with our early books. The stories and characters have been in our lives for months, years, and it can be hard to say goodbye. It's similar to when you finish a great book, or book series, and you don't want to leave their story world.

message 19: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Melody wrote: "I just finished it today! Loved it! I loved the apple picking adventure! ;)"

Thank you, Melody. That was one of my favorites, too.

message 20: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Narelle wrote: "Davalynn wrote: "I wrote it because I've become quite attached to this family and I wanted to give Martha her own book. I know, I know, they are characters in a novel, but when you carry on convers..."

Absolutely, Narelle. Sometimes story world is what holds me in a book. That's one of the reasons I asked readers how much value they place on setting.

message 21: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June | 213 comments Davalynn wrote: "Readers, here's a question: How important is setting when you read a book?"

I guess it depends on how much the setting is involved in the story. Some stories could take place on another planet and you'd never know or care, while others, the setting is so woven into the story that it's part of making the story great. One way setting is great, such as in this series, the generations shows the changes that happen in the building of the town. If all the books were at the same time, the town wouldn't change a whole lot, but we saw Annie and Caleb come to a town that was just starting up and by the time their children are grown and marry the town has grown and the railroad is coming. It's fun to watch the progress of the town over the years.

message 22: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments June wrote: "Davalynn wrote: "Readers, here's a question: How important is setting when you read a book?"

I guess it depends on how much the setting is involved in the story. Some stories could take place on a..."

Thanks for your answer, June. I'm glad that change came through in the series. I have to admit that as an author I find myself choosing setting first, and then coming up with characters to fit.

Melody | 136 comments Setting is pretty important, it really does play a vital role in the story. I love it when I not only can fall in love with the characters, but the towns too.

message 24: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Melody wrote: "Setting is pretty important, it really does play a vital role in the story. I love it when I not only can fall in love with the characters, but the towns too."

So true, Melody. Some books make me want to buy a plane ticket just to visit the locale.

Melody | 136 comments Yep! Or a time machine! :)

message 26: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June | 213 comments But then once we got there, we'd want the characters we met in the book to be there waiting to meet us. :)

message 27: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments June wrote: "But then once we got there, we'd want the characters we met in the book to be there waiting to meet us. :)"

LOL - so true!

message 28: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June | 213 comments I guess we just have to consider the book in our hands (or the ebook in our electronic device) our time machine and they ARE there to meet us.

Next best thing to meeting the characters would be to someday meet the author who created them! ;)

So shall we time travel back to the dinosaurs? Davalynn, do you have an interest in paleontology like Marti/Martha? What made you decide to make that an interest in her life?

message 29: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments June - I chose the fossil issue because it is one of the intriguing things in this area, so I turned Marti's interest in that direction. Years ago I homeschooled our two youngest children for awhile, and for science we followed the activity around here centered on the discovery of a full stegosaurus skeleton, skull and all. The Garden Park area north of town has been the site of several digs since the 1800s, and the squabbling between eastern universities and subsequent vandalism was known as the Bone Wars. My children also put together science-fair projects about sediment, etc., and when I worked for the paper, I photographed dinosaur tracks that hung convex from the ceiling of an active coal mine in the area. Dino tracks can be seen today on Skyline Drive that overlooks the city. Next week I'm taking a Jeep tour through Red Canyon hoping to come up with another story idea.

message 30: by Linda (new)

Linda Glaz | 69 comments Great story, Davalynn. I like that, June. A time machine in our hands. Great way to put it.

message 31: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Thanks, Linda.

message 32: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June | 213 comments Davalynn wrote: "June - I chose the fossil issue because it is one of the intriguing things in this area, so I turned Marti's interest in that direction. Years ago I homeschooled our two youngest children for awhil..."

That is so cool, Davalynn. It gave the story a bit of a different "flavor" mixed in with the Ranger/Outlaw story. It will be fun to see what you do with Whit and Livvy's twins.

message 33: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Thanks, June. Your time-machine theory is what it's like writing these books, because I look around at our landscape and realize that it's looked like this for hundreds of years - same gorgeous mountains and canyons and forests and rivers.

message 34: by Davalynn (new) - added it

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Thanks for hosting me this week, Narelle. It's been great fun!