J.D. Robb discussion

The President's Henchman (Jim McGill, #1)
This topic is about The President's Henchman
Monthly Book Discussion Library > The President's Henchman by Joseph Flynn - July 2018 (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10535 comments Mod
Our July Book of the Month Poll winner is The President's Henchman by Joseph Flynn. This certainly sounds intriguing and unique! Open discussion will begin on the 15th. Everyone is invited to join in.

Synopsis/Blurb:
As we've just seen, it's only a matter of time--and not that long a time--before the United States elects its first female president. Which will make her husband--what?
Well, if he's the ex-cop who solved the murder of the president's first husband and brought the killers to justice...and if he's not the kind of guy to stand on formality...and if he doesn't want to be the head of the FBI...and if he takes out a license and becomes the first private eye to live in the White House...
That would make him The President's Henchman.
Jim McGill's first case is to find out who is stalking a member of the White House press corps, before that stalker turns the tables on McGill and maybe even threatens the president herself. He also has to be a shadow adviser to a young Air Force investigator who is looking into a he-said-she-said charge of adultery leveled against a female colonel working at the Pentagon, a case with the potential to derail the new president's administration before it has a chance to begin.

message 2: by Jonetta (last edited Jul 23, 2018 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13747 comments Mod
Setting
Washington, D. C.
Gambier, Ohio
Winnetka, Illinois

38 Chapters

Character List
(view spoiler)

Spoiler Info
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Sandra (new) - added it

I've got to work this one into my reading schedule some way, some how! It sounds too good to miss!

message 4: by Paula (new) - added it

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 835 comments I need to work it in too. I already have it. I always over commit myself for reviews. I need to work on that. I want to do more reading for just pleasure, no deadlines.

Same here, Paula, though I’ve gotten better.

message 6: by Charlene (new) - added it

Charlene (charlenev) | 289 comments Picked this up for free, so going to try to work it in the schedule!

message 7: by Sandra (new) - added it

Paula wrote: "I need to work it in too. I already have it. I always over commit myself for reviews. I need to work on that. I want to do more reading for just pleasure, no deadlines."

Me too! I'm trying to read more for pleasure, but still find myself with way too many commitments and review deadlines to meet.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2553 comments I want to work this one in too. Sounds interesting.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 734 comments I have it on my Kindle, too. I have a couple of things to read first, but I'll try to be on time for the discussion.

Rosina this looks good...I'm In too. freebie on amazon

Sheery (wwwgoodreadscomprofilesheery) | 41 comments I read this a couple of weeks ago and loved it! I look forward to discussing it with all of you.

Jo Ann (jojog) | 349 comments Reading it now. Only 20% in and - wow - there is a lot going on!

Sheery wrote: "I read this a couple of weeks ago and loved it! I look forward to discussing it with all of you."

I recommended it based on your review:)

message 14: by Vera (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vera M. | 446 comments Have it loaded on my kindle. Also not sure how quickly I will get to it, but will fit it in somewhere!

Rosina Just started last night and read 5%. It moves along quite nicely. Think this will be a good read.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 222 comments Jonetta wrote: "Sheery wrote: "I read this a couple of weeks ago and loved it! I look forward to discussing it with all of you."

I recommended it based on your review:)"

Thank you Jonetta and Sheery for the nomination. I have this book for a while on my Kindle and wanted read it in June for a challenge but got sidetracked once again but started it yesteday and read the first six chapters (15%) and I really love it.
It's so cool how the author's intervowen names with meaning behind them and I'm really curious how it will fit into the story line (I even looked some of them up but don't have enough power right now to check them all). I love the style and the wit as well as the way the charecters are described and more and more pieces of the puzzle added with each chapter. The wit makes it impossible for me to just breeze throught the text, I have much more to concentrate and slows me down but it's worth it!

Within the first three chapters I thought it reads like threre's another story/book previous and started to look for other books with those characters and found none (and was somehow confused and dissapointed) until some of the back story was told in chapter four and it made sense. Since I prefer linear narration with a limit number of characters these are the only issues I have so far and which make reading this book a little bit difficult for me - other than that I enjoy it very much and suppose I'll finish it earlier than I expected (I planned a week for this book) if I won't spend too much time online *grins* I'm glad it became my primary story right now :-)

One of my favorite passages so far (p 21): (view spoiler)

I have a few questions - two reagarding language and one more general:
Language:
What does unameliorated mean? text passage p 26: (view spoiler)
What are grouper troopers? Has it something to do with the fish or is it only to express they work on/near water? text passage p 35: (view spoiler)

They’d changed his code name from Valentine to Holmes. (p 1) - Does any one of you has an idea why McGill's original code name was Valentine and why? - the second one makes perfectly sense to me but I'm struggling with the original one or are they distributed more randomly? Perhaps I'm making more of this than necessary but this qustion got stuck :-)

message 17: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne | 429 comments Agnieszka: ameliorate means to make better, or improve. Do you think he meant he needed to defuse the situation?

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 222 comments Lynne wrote: "Agnieszka: ameliorate means to make better, or improve. Do you think he meant he needed to defuse the situation?"

Yes that makes sense I just didn't think about checking the basic word without the preposition. Thank you!

This is now a spoiler zone. Feel free to discuss the book openly.

message 20: by Sandra (new) - added it

I'm still reading it. Be back soon as I finish!

I'm still reading it, too. Hope to finish tomorrow.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 222 comments I'm still reading but after the first part of chapter 13 I'm pretty sure Todd is the stalker/creep/or how ever you want call him - I'm just not sure yet if he's using some kind of mind manipulation technique or a new kind of drug or even both - and she doesn't remember him as 'lover' because of it.
I'm wondering if he's as desilusional as it appears so far.

I'm curious how long it'll take to figure out the other sub-plots.

Rosina Finished...what a great book...second one loaded ....looking forward to others views...

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 222 comments Rosina wrote: "Finished...what a great book...second one loaded ....looking forward to others views..."

I've done the same and hope to finish today my other book so I can continue this series.

I loved how flawed but still somehow pefect and lovable the characters of this book were and how many different sub-plots the author managed to place in this book and work out. OK not all were resolved but I suppose it's how the series will work - some plots that are part of each novel and at least two other plots which are part of the entire series. Usually I'm no fan of political thrillers and any kind of political intrigue but here it's what added to the book and how all parts of McGills and Patti's lives blend together - especially combined with their pasts and it's implications for their current life.
The ending was such a shock to me and I'm curious if it will have much implication on the story of McGill and his families and who will take Deke's place in the future. I liked him so much and really am sad he's no more part of the series.

The good thing about this series it will continue after Patti's presidency but on the downside there're only another 10 books so far - the author written only one novel per year (the last one published less than a month ago) plus the colleciton of short-stories - still I'd rather wait a year and get a good quality story than some rush-job that's no more fun to read - another lesson in patience awaiting ;-)

Agnieszka wrote: "The ending was such a shock to me and I'm curious if it will have much implication on the story of McGill and his families and who will take Deke's place in the future. I ..."

I’m not sure he’s gone. Cheated and checked out the preview

I finished this morning and enjoyed the story. FYI, I’ve added the Character List in message #2.

There were some dangling issues for me as it related to General Altman, Carina Lindberg and Dexter Cowan. Was she complicit in all this? Did Major Seymour ask Cowan to kill Altman’s wife?

I really couldn’t figure out Carina Lindberg. Did she really sleep her way to her rank?

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 222 comments Jonetta wrote: "Agnieszka wrote: "The ending was such a shock to me and I'm curious if it will have much implication on the story of McGill and his families and who will take Deke's place in the future. I ..."

I’m not sure he’s gone."

That was my first thought as well until I remembered it was said Celsus Crogher had tears in his eyes when he delievered this message and I think it takes pretty much for such a tough guy to show his emotions.

Jonetta wrote: "There were some dangling issues for me as it related to General Altman, Carina Lindberg and Dexter Cowan. Was she complicit in all this? Did Major Seymour ask Cowan to kill Altman’s wife?

I really couldn’t figure out Carina Lindberg. Did she really sleep her way to her rank?"

I think the General Altman/Major Seymour issue is still open because it will have impact on the future plot in the series - perhaps could even be one of the main topics in one of the books in the series - we'll see :-)

I was pretty much convinced Major Seymour was the one who killed Mrs Altman but since he was in the meeting and the DNA evidence verified Dexter Cowan's involvement we have to believe it. Theoretically he could've been set up but I think it would be way too convoluted and too much of a conspiracy to make it believable anymore so the next best thing in my opinion is Seymour was the link between Gen. Altman and Cowan - though it still leaves the question open why didn't Cowan implicate Seymour in such a case.

I wasn't able to figure out Carina Lindberg as well. I'm convinced she slept her way up the rank but only because of the threats by the remaining two guys who raped her friend - kind of she had either rise really fast or leave military but continued a realtionship with Cowan after she learned he's married because she had feelings for him and planned to go with him to American Aviation. I see no reason for her involvement in the events around Mrs Altman's death so I doubt it.

I really liked Sweetie and Yeates and am looking forward to see them in the following books :-)

Loved Sweetie! Yates has great instincts. I’m sure we’ll see more of him and Kira since he now works for the White House.

Still not convinced Deke is gone. That was a big fat teaser so I’m 99% certain he makes it. He wouldn’t go out like this.

Rosina Couple of things....
Regarding Jims ex wife when she and Lars got away...I thought considering that the kids were taken away that they should have let Jim know so he didn't have that worry when he couldn't contact them...thought that was a tad irresponsible....
Love love Sweetie wonder if she and Shady will have more of a story line....
I really cant see that Deke is gone...
OVerall I really enjoyed the speed and storyline....looking forward to the second one...

Rosina, Carolyn and Lars disappearing was really a silly move. They actually put themselves out of communication with their children. It bugged me.

I thought the book well paced, too. There was a lot going on but it didn’t get bogged down. My only complaint was the ending, which felt rushed and left a few details out or up in the air. It was a good story.

Cindy (bkind2books) | 158 comments I liked this and will continue with the series but kind of felt that this kind of cliffhanger ending is dirty pool. If I like a series, I don't need this to keep my interest up.

I loved some of the peripheral characters like Blessing and Sweetie - they were as much fun as the MCs.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 222 comments Cindy wrote: "I liked this and will continue with the series but kind of felt that this kind of cliffhanger ending is dirty pool. If I like a series, I don't need this to keep my interest up..."

I agree with you you about the cliffhanger endings - I usually don't like them at all (at least if I read a novel and not one of those serialized shorts). Since I decided to continue this series before I started the last chapter I didn't mind it this time - but that was one big exception for me (and a first).

Cindy (bkind2books) | 158 comments That’s how I saw it, too. I was already determined to get the next one in the series when the cliffhanger was pulled. Still not a fan of doing that...

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 222 comments Almost forgot, my very favorite thing about the book was the language. It's elaborate enough to learn some great new words, expressions or unknonw to me ways to use those I already known (at least in their basic or more common usage) but not that complicated I got frustrated. I think it would be a difficult/frustrating book for advanced beginners or intermediate readers but very satisfying for people like me with several year practice of reading mostly in English.

Agnieszka wrote: "Almost forgot, my very favorite thing about the book was the language. It's elaborate enough to learn some great new words, expressions or unknonw to me ways to use those I already known (at least ..."

The author has a simplistic style yet he still turns a phrase nicely. I liked how he got to the point with ease but didn’t “dumb it down.”

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 734 comments I really enjoyed reading this book, and I liked the major (positive) characters. McGill is confident in his own skin, which would not necessarily be the case for every man married to a female leader who is more popular, more glamorous, more famous, much less to the first female President.
He's also a great dad to his kids; how he manages to juggle his priorities in such a successful way is a real tribute to his underlying honor.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 222 comments Charlene wrote: "I really enjoyed reading this book, and I liked the major (positive) characters. McGill is confident in his own skin, which would not necessarily be the case for every man married to a female leade..."

I second all of it!

message 39: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (cruelshoes) | 526 comments late start on reading this but hope to get ahead soon,

Charlene wrote: "I really enjoyed reading this book, and I liked the major (positive) characters. McGill is confident in his own skin, which would not necessarily be the case for every man married to a female leade..."

Great points, Charlene! His self confidence is what makes him endearing. He can be successful and love her success without making it about him.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 734 comments Is anyone planning to read the rest of the books in this series?

Cindy (bkind2books) | 158 comments I’m thinking about continuing on with the series....heavy sigh. Really didn’t need another one. Lol

I really didn’t plan on adding another series but I’d like to know what happened with Deke.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 222 comments I hope to finish the second book today but expect I'll continue the series :-)