Writers of Color Book Club discussion

Boy, Snow, Bird
This topic is about Boy, Snow, Bird
Book Discussions > Boy, Snow, Bird: Part 2

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elli (The Bibliophile) (thebibliophilebooks) | 53 comments In this discussion thread we will be looking at part two (page 147-266.)

Please indicate when your post include spoilers!

Happy reading!

Lynecia (luvnecia) I like Bird. She's a spunky little thing, if a little mischievous. Seeing the story through her eyes to me is the most interesting part of the story so far. There's something about Boy's point of view I don't fully trust...

And I still don't get what's up with the mirrors! (view spoiler) Any theories?

Elli (The Bibliophile) (thebibliophilebooks) | 53 comments I think Oyeyemi is trying to connect the story to Snow White... But I still dont see what it adds to the story, really.

Lynecia (luvnecia) Perhaps I need to go back and read the original Grimm's fairy tale after I'm done with this. I have the Disney version in my head.

Beverly Lynecia wrote: "Perhaps I need to go back and read the original Grimm's fairy tale after I'm done with this. I have the Disney version in my head."

Yes, I remember researching the Grimm fairy tale when reading and there were parts of the original story that I forgot about (I guess I too had the Disney version in my head) that helped me better understand the connections to Boy, Snow, Bird.

Adira (introvertinterrupted) | 391 comments Mod
I too and guitly of trying to connect this story with the Disney version of Snow White. I agree Lynecia, Boy and this particular story leaves me a bit miffed. Bird felt like such a distant character that was so dreamlike, she couldn't be real. I do find it interesting that Oyeyemi sort of gives this character that weight of being the treasured "light-skinned" character. I say this since her Grandmother who is Arturo's mom dotes on her.

(view spoiler)

Lynecia (luvnecia) Adira wrote: "I too and guitly of trying to connect this story with the Disney version of Snow White. I agree Lynecia, Boy and this particular story leaves me a bit miffed. Bird felt like such a distant characte..."
I actually find it odd (view spoiler) But I'm nearly at Part 3 and perhaps my question will be answered yet...

Lynecia wrote: "Adira wrote: "I too and guilty of trying to connect this story with the Disney version of Snow White. I agree Lynecia, Boy and this particular story leaves me a bit miffed. Bird felt like such a di..."

Ok, so I'm not alone in my thoughts! LOL He became extra docile for no reason what so ever! I wanted Oyeyemi to make good on her promise that Arturo was going to be this big and powerful force in the story. Instead he's just become boring.(view spoiler) For me, Oyeyemi seems to be falling down on the job with this book in terms of developing the story and handling the action well.

Lynecia (luvnecia) Adira wrote: "Lynecia wrote: "Adira wrote: "I too and guilty of trying to connect this story with the Disney version of Snow White. I agree Lynecia, Boy and this particular story leaves me a bit miffed. Bird fel..."
Seriously!(view spoiler)
I'm going to have to google some interviews with Oyeyemi after this to try to make sense of things. All the tension between Boy and Arturo in the beginning just never shows up again. I don't see what the point of all that was.

On another note, I'm enjoying Snow and Bird's correspondence back and forth - they also are talking in parables/fairytales which I'm sure mean something but I'm not sure yet. I think its funny how (view spoiler)

Yeah that whole treatment of Snow by Boy was weird. Personally, I seriously disliked Bird. She was such an evil kid so I was confused if she was supposed to be evil step or not. However, I think my dislike of her stems from fact that I don't like spoiled children.

Elli (The Bibliophile) (thebibliophilebooks) | 53 comments I need to reread the grimm fairy tale!

Nicole (nicolepo) I read this part tonight. So... this book kind of took a turn for the boring in the second part. I like Bird (and particularly I liked the letters her and Snow sent back and forth,) but the portion narrated by Bird just wasn't as interesting as the first part of the novel. It felt like a lot of the tension leaked out of the story.

I feel like the book keeps touching on issues of race and then backing off. Like way off, like completely turning and running away for the rest of the chapter. I too was interested in how the revelation of the Whitman's passing for white would affect the relationships in the story, but it all kind of fizzled.

The mirrors (view spoiler)

I'm also having difficulty connecting Boy, Snow, Bird back to the Snow White story. (view spoiler)

So yeah, I guess it's safe to say I was a little miffed by the second portion. Oyeyemi did a great job of building tension in the first part of the book, and I felt it all kind of leaked away in the second part.

Yes! Nicole the leakage on Oyeyemi's part was too real! She didn't really tackle any issues with her work that she presented in the first half with this portion, but she introduced more.

I like your thought about mirrors as well. I think it's interesting how you saw it as symbolizing beauty and thoughts about it. I believe someone else made this comment as well and said it might reflect Boy's vapidness since she couldn't see herself in the mirrors.