Long Island NY Bookworms discussion

Introduce Yourself > Hi Y'all

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Doreena (new)

Doreena Silva (bozjovi) | 11 comments Mod
Hi,
I am Doreena, I consider myself a Book Lover, Book Nerd, Book Gal you name it! I love anything & everything to do with books. I have been an avid reader since I was a child. I think I got my love of reading from my Grandmother as she was an avid reader & a school teacher in a Catholic school.
I generally love and my go to genre is Mystery/Thriller especially psychological ones. I got hooked on VC Andrews books and have read them all, sad that she passed on as the books were much better when she strictly wrote them as opposed to the current ghost writer. Besides this Genre some of my favorite authors are Danielle Steel I have been reading her books since I was a teen. I also love and read all of Elin Hilderbrand & Emily Giffin's books.
I look forward to meeting and discussing with other book people like myself.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Hello, I live in Huntington and work at a local bookstore ( which doesn't pay much, but enables my book addiction. LOL) I read a bit of everything, but tend to lean towards horror. There is nothing too scary or gory!

message 3: by Doreena (new)

Kathy wrote: "Hello, I live in Huntington and work at a local bookstore ( which doesn't pay much, but enables my book addiction. LOL) I read a bit of everything, but tend to lean towards horror. There is nothing..."
Ahhh we have similar tastes!! & I love the Book Revue, just wish there was one like it in Suffolk Cty

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Dragon (dragonette) | 3 comments Hi. I live in South Huntington and am an omnivore reader; a bit of everything but my favorite genres are thrillers, sci-fi, cozy mysteries and historical fiction. I'd love to meet and discuss new reads.

btw, Book Revue is great, they get such an amazing array of authors to come and speak.

message 5: by Doreena (new)

Laura wrote: "Hi. I live in South Huntington and am an omnivore reader; a bit of everything but my favorite genres are thrillers, sci-fi, cozy mysteries and historical fiction. I'd love to meet and discuss new r..."

Hi Laura!
Welcome!
Sounds like we like the same reads!!!

message 6: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlaann13) | 7 comments Hello, I live in West Islip and I love to read historical fiction, particularly if it is a series of books.

message 7: by Doreena (new)

Hi Carla! Welcone!
I like some Historical fiction. I recently read Kristian Hanna's "The great alone" and loved it!

message 8: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlaann13) | 7 comments Doreena wrote: "Hi Carla! Welcone!
I like some Historical fiction. I recently read Kristian Hanna's "The great alone" and loved it!"

I really enjoyed the Nightingale by Kristian Hannah but I am currently reading Winter Garden and I am finding it a bit slow. I will have try "The Great Alone".

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura Dragon (dragonette) | 3 comments I loved The Nightingale. My heart was aching at the end. I haven't read Winter Garden but it is on my TBR list. Carla, if you enjoy historical fiction, try "Radio Girls". Its about the beginnings of the BBC.

message 10: by Doreena (new)

I heard Nightingale was very good I'll have to fit in in somewhere!

message 11: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlaann13) | 7 comments Laura wrote: "I loved The Nightingale. My heart was aching at the end. I haven't read Winter Garden but it is on my TBR list. Carla, if you enjoy historical fiction, try "Radio Girls". Its about the beginnings o..."

I will add to my tbr list. Thank you.

message 12: by June (new)

June | 2 comments Hi! I'm from the Smithown area, love reading and discussing what others have read. Last book I read was 'Origin' by Dan Brown, interesting read.

message 13: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlaann13) | 7 comments Hi June- I am currently reading Lilac Girls and really like it so far. I have never read Dan Brown.

message 14: by Doreena (new)

Carla wrote: "Hi June- I am currently reading Lilac Girls and really like it so far. I have never read Dan Brown."
How is Lilac Girls?
It's been on my TBR list forever

message 15: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlaann13) | 7 comments Really good and I just started. I have had no time to read. My daughter just told me she read it twice and loved it.

message 16: by June (new)

June | 2 comments I’ve not heard of Lilac Girls... will have to look into it.

L'Atelier Cali Nº5 | 1 comments Hello, I am new here and to GR. I answer to a few names, such as CC.

I am a Designer of product including footwear, handbags, small accessories, packaging, logos, branding, with a Bachelor's earned in Commercial Art. I create vector and raster imagery for social media, and beyond. I also design and create original 'printables' such as coloring pages, cards, invites, etc., less generic more personal ones with the consumer in mind.

I became aware of this site via a Coffee Table, Coloring Book I created. Geared towards all ages with more sophisticated imagery-- Local, Historical, Non-Fiction. I won't go into further details here, but do know I am extremely interested in genealogy, I'm a huge crafter, I love being creative and creating things. I like to keep busy, so if I'm in a car (or a bus, subway, train, plane, boat, ferry) and I'm not driving I am either reading a book or doing some craft! Frequently, I listen to a book while doing some craft!

I love to travel and have done quite a bit; both for work and for myself nationally and internationally. I also adore skiing (I've instructed part-time, at a few North East Coast Mountains), I love rock climbing, and I enjoy golf as well. I'm a native NY'er (who's lived a bit around the USA) who loves the city, the skyline, the ocean its beaches, the snow, and the mountains.

I read a bit of Mystery, Suspense, Horror/Thrillers, Romance, Fiction, Non-Fiction. Fan of Danielle Steel, John Grisham, Stephen King, Dan Brown, Nelson DeMille, Ken Follett, Napoleon Hill to name a few. Cheers!!

message 18: by Renee (new)

Renee Hi,
I live in Nesconset & grew up in Mattituck. Besides loving to read, I have a huge vegetable garden( sadly done for the winter), enjoy cooking & all things foodie, enjoy traveling(hoping to get to New Zealand next year), and I have a cat(who is the boss of me). Some favorite authors are Stephen King, Louise Penny, J.D.Robb, Dean Koontz,& I seem to discover at least 1 new author every week or so who blows me away. I live close enough to walk to Smithhaven Mall, & even though B&N isn't my favorite bookstore(that would be The Mysterious Bookshop), it is nice to browse! I fell pretty hard for my Kindle Paperwhite last summer! It makes reading at the beach or anywhere outside so easy!

message 19: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlaann13) | 7 comments Hi Rene

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura Dragon (dragonette) | 3 comments Just started reading Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan. Terrific historical fiction set in 1934 New York. Anyone else read it?

message 21: by Renee (new)

Renee I haven’t read Manhattan Beach but I’ve seen some good reviews. I a currently reading Bethlehem by Karen Kelly (thanks to NetGalley),& so far it’s got my attention!

message 22: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlaann13) | 7 comments If anyone is interested in being part of a book club that meets in person please send me a private message.

message 23: by David (new)

David (sirsoulbrother) | 1 comments Hello all. I'm out here on the East End. Just got my hands on a Kindle and am reading more than I have in years. Feels good!