Classics Without All the Class discussion

Treasure Island
This topic is about Treasure Island
August 2014 -Treasure Island > Treasure Island-Introduction

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeane, Book-tator (new) - added it

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments How are you feeling about reading this book? Are you excited? Are you not really excited but interested? Are you re-reading?

I am not really sure why I am so excited to read this book, but I am. I sure hope I don't hate it! I have done my best not to be spoiled on anything, but that's kind of hard since it's such a pivotal part of our pop cultural! (agree? disagree? give it to me! )

Rachel (rach5275) I agree, I can't believe I have never read this book before.

message 3: by Jade (new)

Jade (jadenic) I had an illustrated version of this book when I was younger. I loved it, but it will be interesting to read the actual book.

Gita Reddy | 41 comments I'm looking forward to joining the discussions.

Natalie Patalie (nataliepatalie) | 10 comments I read the book a long time ago and remember enjoying it. I plan to freshen up on it soon.

Semi off topic: Last week I watched Muppet Treasure Island! Hahah.

message 6: by Travis (last edited Aug 03, 2014 05:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Travis (travistousant) I really don't know whether I've read this before. Over the last year I've become a big fan of Stevenson books so its a good time to pick this one up.

Karen I'm listening to an unabridged audio CD book narrated by Frederick Davidson and so far, so good. I have never read Treasure Island so I'm happy to be doing this book.

Travis (travistousant) I have the audio by one of my favorite narrators Michael Page
Probably start it late Monday or Tuesday

June I've been looking to re-read this. I read it as a child, seems like a long time ago. I have a friend and it's his favorite book. And we watched a series on it and I enjoyed it. But I find the book more enjoyable than tv adaption. So here goes.

message 10: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie (ntar2200) | 14 comments We sat under the RLS tree near Waikiki... tenuous link there... looking forward to it though to check its adaptability/themes when i teach middle school this year...

message 11: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Hammond I am looking forward to reading this and taking part in discussions, as well. I have been in book clubs that should rather be called social hour. i guess I'm a nerd that wants to chit-chat about the book, but not get too deep. I want to be told a great story without having to think too much. :-) I hope i am in the right spot!! Aarrgg! :-)

message 12: by Gita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gita Reddy | 41 comments Started reading. Loved the lure thrown out to the Hesitating Purchaser. Chapter 1 reminds me of Great Expectations.

message 13: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (amarla) | 10 comments I've never read it so excited to start :)

message 14: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam I am re-reading it (on Kindle this time) and enjoying it. Must have read this when I was a kid but I do remember parts of the story.

message 15: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Penlington (mikepen) | 8 comments I must have read this some 40 yrs ago and am sure I enjoyed it then. Certainly some of the best known fiction characters ever. So was looking forward to this read. Well, I wasn't at all disappointed as finished it already and loved it !

Travis (travistousant) Started this morning now half done. Loving it so far. Cannot give Michael Page narration a high enough recommendation for audio book lovers

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 25 comments I'm going to start reading it today! On Goodreads, through their ebooks :)

message 18: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (amarla) | 10 comments Pretty good so far! I did not expect to like it, but I do!

message 19: by Gita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gita Reddy | 41 comments Love the way the characters are introduced.

message 20: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Hammond I'm gonna be honest here.... I'm not really getting into TI and I am really bummed about it. I am reading it more to put it under my belt and be 'well rounded'. However, we just got to the island and I am hoping to get more into it. My husband said this preparing me for my appearance on Jeopardy! ha!!!

message 21: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Hammond No, William, not really. :-). It love trivia but not good enough for an appearance with Alex.

Elaina | 2 comments 25% in and loving it so far. Can't believe I've never read this before, even as a child.

message 23: by Gita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gita Reddy | 41 comments Reading chapter 20. I'm liking it as much as I did when I was a child.

Karen Just starting Chapter 21 on the audiobook I am listening to. I love listening to the "pirate speak." Some of the phrases are just so colorful and descriptive. It's fun to hear it spoken in a variety of pirate voices.

message 25: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Very fun read. But I'm bitter that I didn't read this until I'm 50 years old. I would have LOVED it as a kid.

Colleen John wrote: "Very fun read. But I'm bitter that I didn't read this until I'm 50 years old. I would have LOVED it as a kid."

I really wish I would have read even more as a kid and kept track of all my reads. But there is something to be said about reading the classics as an adult. Can't wait to finally start reading this one tomorrow.

Ava Catherine Treasure Island with all its action is a perfect book for pre- teen boys and would be a great introduction to classics for youngsters. Although Stevenson wrote this story for his stepson, it is a grand story for us as adults as well. I think Stevenson's characters have just the perfect blend of fright and delight to hold the reader's attention, and he keeps us hanging on for the next twist around the corner.

message 28: by Karakb (new) - added it

Karakb | 5 comments I was not expecting to enjoy this book as I was forced to read this in high school. I suppose that now reading it under no coercion makes a difference. I am sure I thought I knew everything back then when really I had no clue. I enjoy the flow of the sentences - they almost move me in waves like the ship.

message 29: by Gita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gita Reddy | 41 comments Finished the book. Colleen mentioned Stevenson wrote the book for his stepson; I can well image how the boy must have waited for the story to unfold! Pirates! Danger! Cutlasses! Treasure! There's always something exciting happening.
I wonder why Stevenson let Long John Silver join the doctor's party and then escape. I think he must have initially thought to add another twist, and later changed his mind.
I was expecting Silver to do something, stab someone one in the back, get back to his comrades, or die trying, but he just steals a little gold and escapes. That was rather anti climatic.

message 30: by Jeane, Book-tator (new) - added it

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Jade wrote: "I had an illustrated version of this book when I was younger. I loved it, but it will be interesting to read the actual book."

Did you find any differences?

Colleen I'm not sure if it's the language or what, but I'm struggling a bit and not very far in. Am reading other books too at the same time, which doesn't help.

Rachel (rach5275) It was a great book. Makes me want to watch the movie.

Karen Love the book and the language. I'm listening to it which might help a bit with the language. I want to read a hard copy of it though because there are so many passages I would like to just savor that are gone in the blink of an eye on CD. I've found it for free online in a few different websites. And you may lay to that!

message 34: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth (k9odyssey) I was finishing another book and didn't know if I would get to Treasure Island. So glad I did. Such a fun Summer Read!