Christian Speculative Fiction discussion

Marketing and Reviewing Topics > Reviews - Liking Reviews

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stan (new)

Stan | 288 comments Mod
Hi everyone! This is more of an observation than a review question, though it might be good for discussion.

I periodically check my Goodreads stats on my profile. I don't really know how they are calculated or what they do. I noticed this month that I am #96 in Brazil (where I live) in one of the categories. This placement is based on my number of reviews and the number of likes my reviews have received this month.

While I don't want to stack any decks, if you read a review of a book and you like it - why not click the like button on the review? Not just my reviews, but any review you read and like.

Any other thoughts on this?

message 2: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 507 comments Mod
Stan wrote: "Hi everyone! This is more of an observation than a review question, though it might be good for discussion.

I periodically check my Goodreads stats on my profile. I don't really know how they are ..."

I found your post really interesting. I had never noticed that stat, and it took me a long time to find it. It seems to me that liking reviews also give people feedback on what is helpful to everyone. The whole point of writing a review is to be part of a greater dialogue.

message 3: by Char'Lee (new)

Char'Lee M. Van Patten (cmvanpatten) | 16 comments I am not sure if I understood what you were asking. However, I think for some people liking a review that someone else has posted is sort of like saying "I agree" to their point of view. There are many people out there who are uncomfortable with putting their view of things out for others to criticize and are more relaxed with finding another person who saw the book as they did and clicking like.

message 4: by Stan (new)

Stan | 288 comments Mod
Char'Lee wrote: "I am not sure if I understood what you were asking."

I'm not exactly sure what I was asking, in retrospect. I guess I just didn't want to leave it as a statement, but hear other peoples' thoughts on such statistics. Does it benefit anyone for us to appear in the top 100 reviewers? Does it give us more voice? Does anyone even care about such ratings?

message 5: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) I use the like feature when I see a review or rating by a Goodreads friend. It’s my way of acknowledging them. I started doing this when I realised I appreciated my reviews being noticed. I also like reviews that are helpful or well written.

Has anyone experienced a person they aren’t friends with frequently liking their reviews? There’s a Goodreader who regularly likes my reviews. She isn’t a friend or a follower of me. And we don’t have any friends in common. Either we like a lot of the same books, or she regularly peruses my shelves.

message 6: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 507 comments Mod
Janelle wrote: "Has anyone experienced a person they aren’t friends with frequently liking their reviews? There’s a Goodreader who regularly likes my reviews. She isn’t a friend or a follower of me. And we don’t have any friends in common. Either we like a lot of the same books, or she regularly peruses my shelves."

I see a lot of things from my friend's if they liked something themselves on someone else's feed. I have wondered if it would be strange to hit like on their reviews if I don't know them, so I often don't. There are lots of people who just hit like on random people who pop up on their feed.

message 7: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) Yeah I’ve had friends of friends like my posts. The interconnectedness of Goodreads can be interesting sometimes.