You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > July 2018 - Lisa, it's Your Birthday!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Challenge for July is pretty straightforward.

You are to read a book that was published in the year of your birth.

Not popular in, published in. We are looking at original publication date. So double check translations, or books from authors from other countries, be careful and check that original publication date.

Check out the listopias and the like, but be mindful of the above warnings. This in the Most Popular Books of 1997 list, https://www.goodreads.com/book/popula..., but if you look to the right, you can set the year from 1920 on wards.

I've been surprised what was published in my year, so here's hoping we all find some interesting reads.

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format – hardcover, paperback, ebook, or audiobook.
2. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Zany Zodiac Challenge.
3. The book must be read between July 1 to July 31, 2018 (based on your own time zone).
4. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose, but only the highest scoring book will apply.
5. The book must be 175 pages or more determined by the issue you read. If reading eBook or audiobook page numbers will be determined by the issue that comes up on a Goodreads search.

POINTS!
(based on the edition you read)

You do need to tell us which year you are reading a book from to get points. I need to check it fits, so no year, no points.
This is a safe space.

Cover (if using an audiobook use the most popular edition):
5 pts – There are stars on the cover (Tanabata)
4 pts – There is a tree on the cover (National Tree Day)
3 pts – There is an ice cream on the cover (National Ice Cream Month)
2 pts – There is a bottle of booze on the cover (Madeira Day)
1 pt – The cover is mainly purple. If in doubt, please check http://labs.tineye.com/color/

Genre:
5 pts – Non-Fiction
4 pts – Romance
3 pts – Sci-Fi
2 pts – Thriller
1 pt – Horror

How many pages? (if using an audiobook use the most popular edition) :
5 pts – 501+
4 pts - 401-500
3 pts - 301-400
2 pts – 201-300
1 pt - 200 or less

Bonus May Points (2pts each that apply):
2pts - The book is set in New Zealand, or the author was born or is based in New Zealand (Māori Language Week)
2pts - There is a shark in the book (Shark Week)
2pts - Part of the book is set on a boat (Sea Sunday)

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15599 comments Cool challenge!

I do hope the 80s (1984 in particular) have better books than music though ;-)

message 3: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments I looked at 1984 before deciding on the challenge. It was a much better year than 1983 unfortunately for me.

message 4: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jun 29, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments P.S. I picked random years to check in each decade. I just checked 1983 and 84 as we have vested interests in my household on those years.

message 5: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments I am curious to see what was published in 1992. I might join this one depending on what I find :)

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Interesting to see the books published in 1979. I've read a few of them and have some on my wishlist. I'm going to read Kindred. I've wanted to read it for ages.

message 7: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15599 comments I have to admit I also like getting a sneak peek into how old everyone is ;-)

Not much luck with the 1984 list on GR. I own two books but am actually not so interested in those. A few are on my wishlist but too expensive. I'll have to do some proper gophering!

message 8: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9824 comments Great idea for a challenge!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Those lists only have the top 200 books listed so there will be others published that year but you might have to dig around for them.

message 10: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15599 comments Using Google searching for 'books published in 1984' mostly gives hits related to 1984, haha.

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jun 29, 2018 10:31AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15599 comments You can also sort your GR shelves on publication year by the way, so you can easily check if you own something published in a certain year. Same warnings as Rusalka mentioned in her first post though.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Oh yes, i forgot you could do that. I might see if that gives me other options although I'm happy with my pick.

message 13: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments Here are my choices for books first published in 196mumble-mumble:

The Clocks by Agatha Christie
False Colours by Georgette Heyer
Witch World by Andre Norton
Bride of Pendorric by Victoria Holt
Sister of the Bride by Beverly Cleary

I'm not sure which one will give me the most points. Probably False Colours.

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15254 comments This is quite the challenge! I just spent some time searching back in time and I may have come up with an oldie, but a goodie that I can still get ahold of. lol (Thank you, Ms. Agatha Christie.) As a matter of fact my library still has a copy, but someone has it out! It should be back in time for me to read it the second half of the month. If not, I found a couple of other possible options, but so far nothing I might really be interested in reading.

message 15: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9824 comments I did some research about books published in 1978, and first of all, I feel SO MUCH YOUNGER than all the books I found!

Anyway, I am ashamed to report I had only 3 books in my TBR published in 1978, all useless since they were a picture book, a 160 pages novel, and a non-fiction my library doesn't hold.

The search feature on the library shows only 16 books published in 1978. I am sure there have to be more, but that feature is famous for being bad, so I am not surprise. When I saw The Stand by Stephen King I thought "that is the one!", but then I realized it is over 1,000 pages, and that is more I can handle this month. Or even this year, tbh.
The other books in the list were too long, second in a series, or not actually published in 1978.
I guess my option right now is Eye of the Needle. Never read anything by Ken Follett before, and it looks like a perfect book to read in planes and airplanes, so I will probably go for it.

This gophering has been quite interesting!

message 16: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2790 comments Gah, the only one on the list that was on my tbr is 161 pages ::sulks::

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51971 comments The only book on the list that I own (I Am Legend) is 161 pgs. Back to the drawing board.

message 18: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments Okay, I'm new here, but this looks fun! I've been gophering for books from 1981 and have found a few surprises. First, I'm going to read Ronia, the Robber's Daughter with my daughter. We try to always be reading something together, and as we just finished our last book, this might be a fun one to read next. It barely squeaks by the page requirement; the paperback edition we have is 176 pages. So I'll want to read something else for points: although, I haven't decided what that might be. Then, I also found out that Jumanji was published in my year. It's a picture book, meaning no good for this challenge, but my son will love it. July seems to be turning out to be a good reading month for my family. Now on to figure out what to read for myself.

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15254 comments Oh, that's fun, Tricia! You'll complete the challenge the kiddie style with your son and your daughter. :)

I was considering trying to read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH with my grandson for a kiddie version of the challenge, but I don't think we'd complete it on time.

message 20: by Casceil (last edited Jun 30, 2018 08:29AM) (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments Tricia, you should have fun with Ronia, the Robber's Daughter. Many years ago I read it to a little girl who was my best friend's daughter. We enjoyed it.

Saar The Book owl | 1926 comments Interesting challenge. It seems that 1983 was a good year for published books :)

Saar The Book owl | 1926 comments So, if I understand correctly: you can only use the first publication of that year? I go for The Witches, but only the one published in 1983?

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51971 comments Saar wrote: "So, if I understand correctly: you can only use the first publication of that year? I go for The Witches, but only the one published in 1983?"

You must pick a book based on it's first published year. That particular book has editions published in several different years. It was first published in 1983, so you may read it if you were born in 1983. The edition you read doesn't matter.

message 24: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Jun 30, 2018 10:19AM) (new)

Saar The Book owl | 1926 comments Thanks for the explenation, Janice. Then I'll go for this: The Witches

message 25: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments Kristie wrote: "Oh, that's fun, Tricia! You'll complete the challenge the kiddie style with your son and your daughter. :)

I was considering trying to read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH with my gr..."

I love that book. I read it as a child and then again, several times actually, as an adult.

message 26: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments Casceil wrote: "Tricia, you should have fun with Ronia, the Robber's Daughter. Many years ago I read it to a little girl who was my best friend's daughter. We enjoyed it."

Yes, we're looking forward to it. Turns out there's also a version of it available on Amazon Prime Video. It's anime, and I don't know anything about it, but we're planning on watching after we've finished the book.

message 27: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments I have some books that I want to read before going on vacation but if I can participate, I will choose one of those books:

South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami
Sleepwalking Land by Mia Couto
Fatherland by Robert Harris

Saar The Book owl | 1926 comments @Clément: the first one would be my favorite of your top 3.

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15254 comments Tricia wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Oh, that's fun, Tricia! You'll complete the challenge the kiddie style with your son and your daughter. :)

I was considering trying to read [book:Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH|..."

I enjoyed it as a child too, but haven't read it since.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Cool challenge, Rusalka!

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15254 comments Ok... I have my long list. Unfortunately, they aren't quite as readily available as I would like. My library has paper versions of a few, but no audios. Well, except for one performance audio, which I assume doesn't count and isn't really something I enjoy anyway. I'll have to consider than when making my final decision. The ones my library doesn't carry can be purchased and don't cost too much. I don't necessarily want to spend an Audible credit on one of these, but maybe. We'll have to see how the month goes.

The Exorcist
Go Ask Alice
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
Nemesis
When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit
The Carpet People
The Empty House
Paper Moon
The Crooked Banister (Nancy Drew!! Feeling nostalgic, lol)
Hell House

My top picks (I think) so far are Nemesis and Paper Moon, but of course those are two of the ones that the library doesn't have. I may have to go with The Crooked Banister for old times sake. :) I wonder if I read that one when I was a kid??

message 32: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20715 comments I looked through list after list of books today and found 4 books to consider. Now, to see if I can find a copy of any one of them. Lots of great books published in my decade and many, many I have already read, but my actual birth year is pretty sparce, at least in the GR lists I checked. Google will have to be my next search engine, if I cannot locate one of the four I found.

message 33: by Jayme, Moderator (last edited Jul 01, 2018 05:32AM) (new)

Jayme | 2665 comments I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to find any good books from my year 196.... however, there was some great stuff written and here are the contenders -

Franny and Zooey
Travels with Charley: In Search of America
Mother Night
The Winter of Our Discontent
Catch-22
Faces in the Water
April Morning

I think I will go with Travels with Charley: In Search of America. I did find a few books that will work for the year long challenge :) Faces in the Water for New Zealand and April Morning for the month of April.

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51971 comments I've decided to read The Star Beast. It's one of Heinlein's Juvenile books, but it sounds like it might be a light amusing read.

message 35: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Some great reads being tossed around

message 36: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 600 comments Out of the ones I found for 1986, I think The Anti-Federalist Papers and the Constitutional Convention Debates by Ralph Louis Ketcham will give me more points, but Infernal Devices sounds more interesting!

message 37: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jul 03, 2018 05:59AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments I set up a reporting thread for this challenge.

In the reporting thread, after you have read your book, please let me know the actual year. Mumbles are fine here, but I will need to verify. Feel free to spoiler if you so desire, but seriously, it's only a year.

message 38: by Clive (new)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments Hi everyone, I've just joined the group but I've decided to jump straight into this challenge. There were quite a few books for my year that I thought seemed interesting and will probably make my too be read list but I've decided to go with It. I've never read any Stephen King before although he's always been on my 'I'll get round to that at some point list'. I've also been reading quite a few books over 1000 pages this year so it fits with a theme that has just emerged as I've been reading this year too. I've got a busy month so it'll definitely be a challenge to get through it but I'm looking forward to it.

message 39: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 600 comments Clive - I read It recently, well listened to the audio book. It took me awhile to get through and I wished I had read it instead of listening. The amount of times they say the N word is irritating after awhile. There were a lot of parts I would have skimmed over if I was reading, so just be prepared if that's something that bothers you.

message 40: by Clive (new)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments Thanks for the heads up Laura. I am reading rather than listening so at least skimming is there as an option if I need/want to. I used to be oddly strict about not skimming books but realised a while ago how pointless that philosophy is.

message 41: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15599 comments I never knew It was such a chunkster! I hope you'll enjoy it Clive.

message 42: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20715 comments Beth wrote: "Did you ever see the movie Strangers on a Train?".

No, I never saw the Hitchcock movie, Beth, if that is the one you are talking about.

After thinking more about Strangers on a Train and what put me off, was the fact that it was written from the bad guys' point of view. I guess that is why it seemed so awful to me, the way the dialogue plays out. In that respect - it was amazing how much I did not like them, especially in light of how well acted the narration by Pinchot was. I guess I better give it 5 stars after-all.

message 43: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20715 comments Heather - glad you found a book to read. I really loved the Mary Stuart books!

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51971 comments Cherie wrote: "Beth wrote: "Did you ever see the movie Strangers on a Train?".

No, I never saw the Hitchcock movie, Beth, if that is the one you are talking about.

After thinking more about [book:Strangers on ..."

I wanted to smack them both. The husband was unbelievably stupid. I think I disliked him more.

message 45: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20715 comments Janice wrote: "I wanted to smack them both. The husband was unbelievably stupid. I think I disliked him more..."

Agreed, Janice. It really was a unique story situation. Normally, we cheer for the detectives and the people solving the crime(s) but that person in Highsmith's story was considered as a pariah by everyone, even the local police force.

message 46: by siriusedward (last edited Jul 06, 2018 02:49PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments I would like to read In the Skin of a Lion In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje by Michael Ondaatje
This author has been in and out of my thoughts ,since some time, to read a (any) book by him.Preferably soon.
Or

Siblings Without Rivalry: How to Help Your Children Live Together So You Can Live Too by Adele Faber

message 47: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments So I'm tossing and turning at the moment between Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories and The Anubis Gates

message 48: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51971 comments Rusalka wrote: "So I'm tossing and turning at the moment between Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories and The Anubis Gates"

Anubis Gates works for time travel in the zodiac challenge. Maybe that will help you decide.

message 49: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments So I'm nearly finished with Ronia, the Robber's Daughter and am thinking about starting Mornings on Horseback: The Story of an Extraordinary Family, a Vanished Way of Life, and the Unique Child Who Became Theodore Roosevelt.

I have a question though. When we're reporting our books, do we only add the one that gets us the most points to the reporting thread?

message 50: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Tricia wrote: "I have a question though. When we're reporting our books, do we only add the one that gets us the most points to the reporting thread?"

Good question. So the challenge is to read one book, so you should only report on one. However, I'm glad you've found a couple of books that interest you!

Now, whether you want to report on the one that gets you the most points (which most of us would do), or one that may get you the least points for our wooden spoon prize, is up to you.

But yes, short answer is 99% of us report the book that gets us the most points :D

« previous 1