SBTB Goodreads Group discussion

Challenges > Numbers Game Quarterly Challenge: July - September 2018

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 207 comments Mod
Welcome to the Numbers Game Quarterly Challenge!

Duration: July 1 - September 30

Completion Levels:
Level 1: Complete five of the challenges.
Level 2: Complete ten of the challenges.
Level 3: Complete all of the challenges.

Instructions:
I decided to use the numbers 1-15 as my inspiration. You can complete tasks in any order. I only grouped them by five so there isn't a wall of text.

Books cannot be repeated in multiple categories and you cannot use the same item more than once. For example, you cannot use one books to fulfill two tasks.

All books must be read in the duration of the challenge. Please do not start any books you plan to use before July 1st.

If you have any questions, ask in this thread!

Tasks

New Start (one): Read a book that’s the first in a series.

Once More with Feeling (two): Reread a book of your choice.

Trilogy (three): Read a book that is part of a trilogy.

Four Letter Word: Read a book with a four word title.

Pentagon (five): Read a book where a character works in politics or in government.

Six Years: Read a book published in the last six years.

Lucky Number Seven: Read a book by your favorite author.

Octopus's Garden (eight): Read a book with an ocean theme.

A Stitch in Time (nine): Read a book with a maker (baker, knitter, etc. - someone who makes things).

Decade (ten): Read a book published in the decade you were born

Veteran’s Day (eleven): Read a book with a military character.

Calendar Year (twelve): Read a book that features a holiday.

Unlucky (thirteen): Read a book in one of your least favorite genres.

Fortnight (fourteen): Read a historical romance.

Blast from the Past (fifteen): Read a book published in 2003 or earlier.

Feel free to plan your books out in advance or fill in as you go!

message 2: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Sep 03, 2018 06:59AM) (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 251 comments Another challenge!
Thanks, Amanda!
5 Stars…
15/15 Completed
1. New Start: The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley 5 Stars…
2. Once More with Feeling: Arabella by Georgette Heyer 4 Stars…
3. Trilogy: Room Service by Rochelle Alers 2 Stars…
4. Four Letter Word: You Out of Nowhere by Jay E. Tria 1 Stars…
5. Pentagon: Bring on the Blessings by Beverly Jenkins 4 Stars…
The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley Arabella by Georgette Heyer Room Service (The Innkeepers, #3) by Rochelle Alers You Out of Nowhere (Flair #1) by Jay E. Tria Bring on the Blessings (Blessings, #1) by Beverly Jenkins
6. Six Years: Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson 4 Stars…
7. Lucky Number Seven: Footsteps in the Dark by Georgette Heyer 4 Stars…
8. Octopus's Garden: Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-Making Race Around the World by Matthew Goodman 5 Stars…
9. A Stitch in Time: Herbalist / Potion maker Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn 5 Stars…
10. Decade: Meridian by Alice Walker 4 Stars…
Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson Footsteps in the Dark by Georgette Heyer Eighty Days Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-Making Race Around the World by Matthew Goodman Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn Meridian by Alice Walker
11. Veteran’s Day: His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik 4 Stars…
12. Calendar Year: Murder in the Dark by Kerry Greenwood 4 Stars…
13. Unlucky : Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton 1 Stars…
14. Fortnight: Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick 4 Stars…
15. Blast from the Past: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou 4 Stars…
His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik Murder in the Dark (Phryne Fisher, #16) by Kerry Greenwood Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

message 3: by Sabrina (last edited Sep 28, 2018 10:16PM) (new)

Sabrina West | 52 comments Tasks
15/15 - completed 9/28

1. New Start (one): Read a book that’s the first in a series.
Firelight by Kristen Callihan. Finished 8/7 ★★★
2. Once More with Feeling (two): Reread a book of your choice.
The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner. Finished 7/12 ★★★★★
3. Trilogy (three): Read a book that is part of a trilogy.
The Cruel Prince by Holly Black (first in the Folk of the Air trilogy), Finished 9/25 ★★★★★
4. Four Letter Word: Read a book with a four word title.
Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard. Finished 9/22 ★★★1/2
5. Pentagon (five): Read a book where a character works in politics or in government.
Playing Dirty by HelenKay Dimon. Finished 8/25 ★★
Firelight (Darkest London, #1) by Kristen Callihan The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3) by Megan Whalen Turner The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1) by Holly Black Johannes Cabal the Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, #1) by Jonathan L. Howard Playing Dirty (Bad Boys Undercover, #1) by HelenKay Dimon

6. Six Years: Read a book published in the last six years.
Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin. Finished 8/9 ★★★★★
7. Lucky Number Seven: Read a book by your favorite author.
Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews. Finished 9/11 ★★★★★★★★★★
8. Octopus's Garden (eight): Read a book with an ocean theme.
The Sea King by C.L. Wilson. Finished 8/2 ★★
9. A Stitch in Time (nine): Read a book with a maker (baker, knitter, etc. - someone who makes things).
Born to Be Wilde by Eloisa James (heroine designs and sometimes sews clothes). Finished 8/16 ★★★★
10. Decade (ten): Read a book published in the decade you were born
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (1986) Finished 7/12 ★★★ 1/2 stars
Wolf by Wolf (Wolf by Wolf, #1) by Ryan Graudin Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10) by Ilona Andrews The Sea King (Weathermages of Mystral, #2) by C.L. Wilson Born to Be Wilde (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #3) by Eloisa James Shards of Honor (Vorkosigan Saga #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold

11. Veteran’s Day (eleven): Read a book with a military character.
Chase Me by Laura Florand. Finished 8/7 ★★★★
12. Calendar Year (twelve): Read a book that features a holiday.
We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson Finished 8/22 ★★★★
13. Unlucky (thirteen): Read a book in one of your least favorite genres.
All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda (thrillers being perhaps my very least favorite genre). Finished 9/28 ★★
14. Fortnight (fourteen): Read a historical romance.
Wicked and the Wallflower by Sarah MacLean. Finished 8/1 ★★★
15. Blast from the Past (fifteen): Read a book published in 2003 or earlier.
Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold (1991). Finished 8/1 ★★★★
Chase Me (Paris Nights, #2) by Laura Florand We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1) by Sarah MacLean Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7) by Lois McMaster Bujold

message 4: by HeatherMarie (last edited Aug 03, 2018 07:32AM) (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 66 comments Numbers Game Quarterly Challenge: July - September 2018

8 / 15

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs💻
✔️2. Once More with Feeling (two): Reread a book of your choice.
The Mane Event🎧7/18
The Mane Event (Pride, #1) by Shelly Laurenston

✔️4. Four Letter Word: Read a book with a four word title.
Whispers in the DarkO🎧7/12
Whispers in the Dark (KGI, #4) by Maya Banks
✔️5. Pentagon (five): Read a book where a character works in politics or in government.
Enemies at HomeH🎧8/1
Enemies at Home (Flavia Albia Mystery, #2) by Lindsey Davis

✔️7. Lucky Number Seven: Read a book by your favorite author.
A Duke by DefaultH🎧8/2
A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2) by Alyssa Cole

✔️9. AStitch in Time (nine): Read a book with a maker (baker, knitter, etc. - someone who makes things).
Mountain Man Candy (confectioner) 🎧7/20
Mountain Man Candy by Frankie Love
Reflections🎧

✔️12. Calendar Year (twelve): Read a book that features a holiday.
The Ides of April (Ludi Ceriales....those Romans were intense 🔥🦊☹️) H🎧7/26
The Ides of April (Flavia Albia Mystery, #1) by Lindsey Davis
✔️13. Unlucky (thirteen): Read a book in one of your least favorite genres.
The Mayflower Bride (inspirational) H🎧7/23
The Mayflower Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #1) by Kimberley Woodhouse
✔️14. Fortnight (fourteen): Read a historical romance.
Robby Riverton: Mail Order Bride📱7/26
Robby Riverton Mail Order Bride by Eli Easton
One Bite With A Stranger🎧

message 5: by Laure (last edited Sep 09, 2018 07:24PM) (new)

Laure Yay! Thanks, Amanda! I really appreciate these challenges continuing!

15/15

The Tycoon by M. O'Keefe (King Family Book One) 7/20/18) **
2. Once More with Feeling (two): Reread a book of your choice. The Hating Game by Sally Thorne (7/23/18) ****
A Dangerous Deceit (Thief Takers #3) by Alissa Johnson (7/2/18) ***
Swept Off Her Feet by Hester Browne (7/4/18) ***
5. Pentagon (five): Read a book where a character works in politics or in government.
My Oxford Year by Julia Whelan (7/12/18) *****
The Tycoon (King Family, #1) by Molly O'Keefe The Hating Game by Sally Thorne A Dangerous Deceit (The Thief-Takers, #3) by Alissa Johnson Swept off Her Feet by Hester Browne My Oxford Year by Julia Whelan

6. Six Years: Read a book published in the last six years. Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi (7/30/18) ***
Breaking Point by Suzanne Brockmann (7/15/18) ****
8. Octopus's Garden (eight): Read a book with an ocean theme. The Endless Beach by Jenny Colgan (7/7/18) ****
9. A Stitch in Time (nine): Read a book with a maker (baker, knitter, etc. - someone who makes things). Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe: A hilarious, fast-paced tale about starting over by Jenny Colgan (8/14/18) **
Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (8/2/18) ****
Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9) by Suzanne Brockmann The Endless Beach (The Summer Seaside Kitchen, #2) by Jenny Colgan Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe A hilarious, fast-paced tale about starting over by Jenny Colgan Alanna The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce

11. Veteran’s Day (eleven): Read a book with a military character. Too Wilde to Wed by Eloisa James (8/18/18) ***
All Through the Night by Suzanne Brockmann (7/12/18) ****
13. Unlucky (thirteen): Read a book in one of your least favorite genres. HORROR
Pet Sematary by Stephen King (8/24/18) ***
14. Fortnight (fourteen): Read a historical romance. Hello Stranger by Lisa Kleypas (8/10/18) ****
In the Hand of the Goddess and The Woman Who Rides Like a Man by Tamora Pierce (8/25/18 and 9/8/18) ****
Too Wilde to Wed (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #2) by Eloisa James All Through the Night (Troubleshooters, #12) by Suzanne Brockmann Pet Sematary by Stephen King Hello Stranger (The Ravenels, #4) by Lisa Kleypas In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2) by Tamora Pierce The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3) by Tamora Pierce

message 6: by Ginger (last edited Sep 01, 2018 10:32AM) (new)

Ginger W | 40 comments This is a good one!
14/15

1. New Start (one): Read a book that’s the first in a series. Wicked and the Wallflower
2. Once More with Feeling (two): Reread a book of your choice. First to Burn
3. Trilogy (three): Read a book that is part of a trilogy. All I Have
4. Four Letter Word: Read a book with a four word title. Born to Be Wilde
5. Pentagon (five): Read a book where a character works in politics or in government. A Lot Like Love
Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1) by Sarah MacLean First to Burn (Immortal Vikings, #1) by Anna Richland All I Have (A Farmers' Market Story, #1) by Nicole Helm Born to Be Wilde (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #3) by Eloisa James A Lot Like Love (FBI/US Attorney, #2) by Julie James

6. Six Years: Read a book published in the last six years. The Kiss Quotient
7. Lucky Number Seven: Read a book by your favorite author. Dr. Strange Beard
9. A Stitch in Time (nine): Read a book with a maker. How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf
10. Decade (ten): Read a book published in the decade you were born This Rough Magic
The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang Dr. Strange Beard (Winston Brothers, #5) by Penny Reid How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1) by Molly Harper This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart

11. Veteran’s Day (eleven): Read a book with a military character. Tight Quarters
12. Calendar Year (twelve): Read a book that features a holiday. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
13. Unlucky (thirteen): Read a book in one of your least favorite genres. Nailing Studs: A Contemporary Reverse Harem Romance
14. Fortnight (fourteen): Read a historical romance. A Rogue of Her Own
15. Blast from the Past (fifteen): Read a book published in 2003 or earlier. Everyday, Average Jones
Tight Quarters (Out of Uniform, #6) by Annabeth Albert It Came Upon a Midnight Clear (Tall, Dark and Dangerous, #6) by Suzanne Brockmann Nailing Studs by Virna DePaul A Rogue of Her Own (Windham Brides, #4) by Grace Burrowes Everyday, Average Jones (Tall, Dark & Dangerous, #4) by Suzanne Brockmann

message 7: by Harmonyb (last edited Sep 06, 2018 07:34PM) (new)

Harmonyb | 19 comments 9/15

1. New Start (one): Clean Sweep (7/12) ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
2. Once More with Feeling (two): Sweep in Peace (7/14) ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
3. Trilogy (three): One Fell Sweep (7/16) ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
4. Four Letter Word: Hurts to Love You (7/31) ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
5. Pentagon (five): Sleeping Giants (7/21) ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #1) by Ilona Andrews Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2) by Ilona Andrews One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3) by Ilona Andrews Hurts to Love You (Forbidden Hearts, #3) by Alisha Rai Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1) by Sylvain Neuvel

6. Six Years: Waking Gods (7/27) ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
7. Lucky Number Seven: Burn for Me (8/27) ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
8. Octopus's Garden (eight): Into the Drowning Deep
9. A Stitch in Time (nine): Read a book with a maker (baker, knitter, etc. - someone who makes things).
10. Decade (ten): The Hero and the Crown (1st published in 1984) (9/6) ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Waking Gods (Themis Files, #2) by Sylvain Neuvel Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1) by Mira Grant The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #2) by Robin McKinley

11. Veteran’s Day (eleven): Tight Quarters (8/18) ⭐️⭐️⭐️
12. Calendar Year (twelve): Protected Christmas and New Years (7/26) ⭐️⭐️⭐️
14. Fortnight (fourteen): An Extraordinary Union
15. Blast from the Past (fifteen): Magic's Pawn
Tight Quarters (Out of Uniform, #6) by Annabeth Albert Protected (Diablo Lake, #2) by Lauren Dane An Extraordinary Union (The Loyal League #1) by Alyssa Cole Magic's Pawn (Valdemar Last Herald-Mage #1) by Mercedes Lackey

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 22 comments Exciting! I can't resist these challenges! :)

message 9: by The Bookstore Vixen (last edited Sep 28, 2018 09:26AM) (new)

The Bookstore Vixen  (thebookstorevixen) | 31 comments I’m in! Sounds fun!

✔ 1. New Start (one): Read a book that’s the first in a series.
Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

✔ 2. Once More with Feeling (two): Reread a book of your choice.
Passion By Lisa Valdez

✔ 3. Trilogy (three): Read a book that is part of a trilogy.
Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier

✔ 4. Four Letter Word: Read a book with a four word title.
She Tempts the Duke by Lorraine Heath

✔ 5. Pentagon (five): Read a book where a character works in politics or in government.
Something About You by Julie James

She Tempts the Duke (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #1) by Lorraine Heath Passion (Passion Quartet, #1) by Lisa Valdez Sapphire Blue (Precious Stone Trilogy, #2) by Kerstin Gier Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier Something About You (FBI/US Attorney, #1) by Julie James

✔ 6. Six Years: Read a book published in the last six years.
Endless Knight by Kresley Cole

✔ 7. Lucky Number Seven: Read a book by your favorite author.
Burn by Linda Howard (Definitely not going into the Linda Howard Keeper Box, but still a good book)

✔ 8. Octopus's Garden (eight): Read a book with an ocean theme.
Captive Passions by Fern Michaels

✔ 9. A Stitch in Time (nine): Read a book with a maker (baker, knitter, etc. - someone who makes things).
Bittersweet by Sarina Bowen (heroine is a chef)

✔ 10. Decade (ten): Read a book published in the decade you were born
Devil May Care by Elizabeth Peters (I was born in the 70's -not an easy decade to find something that interests me! haha!)

Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles, #2) by Kresley Cole Burn by Linda Howard Captive Passions (Captive, #1) by Fern Michaels Bittersweet (True North, #1) by Sarina Bowen Devil-May-Care by Elizabeth Peters

✔ 11. Veteran’s Day (eleven): Read a book with a military character.
Targeted by Katie Reus

✔ 12. Calendar Year (twelve): Read a book that features a holiday.
The Trouble with Mistletoe by Jill Shalvis

✔ 13. Unlucky (thirteen): Read a book in one of your least favorite genres.
Embrace the Night Eternal by Joss Ware (I don't typically care for futuristic/dystopian, but I'm enjoying this series a lot!)

✔ 14. Fortnight (fourteen): Read a historical romance.
The Rake by Suzanne Enoch

✔ 15. Blast from the Past (fifteen): Read a book published in 2003 or earlier.
White Lies by Linda Howard

Targeted (Deadly Ops #1) by Katie Reus The Trouble with Mistletoe (Heartbreaker Bay, #2) by Jill Shalvis The Rake (Lessons in Love, #1) by Suzanne Enoch Embrace the Night Eternal (Envy Chronicles, #2) by Joss Ware White Lies (Rescues, #4) by Linda Howard

message 10: by Koozebane (last edited Jul 25, 2018 09:27AM) (new)

Koozebane | 67 comments 15/15

1. New Start (one): TRACKER HACKER by Jeff Adams (Codename: Winger #1, finished 7/5) Tracker Hacker (Codename Winger, #1) by Jeff Adams
2. Once More with Feeling (two): LADY ISABELLA'S SCANDALOUS MARRIAGE by Jennifer Ashley (finished 7/17) Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2) by Jennifer Ashley
3. Trilogy (three): ALIEN QUEST by Mark Zubro (#1 in Alien Danger trilogy, finished 7/21) Alien Quest (Alien Danger, #1) by Mark Zubro
4. Four Letter Word: 13 LITTLE BLUE ENVELOPES by Maureen Johnson (finished 7/9) 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1) by Maureen Johnson
5. Pentagon (five): UNDERCOVER BOYFRIEND by Jacob Z. Flores (Luke is an FBI agent; finished 7/20) Undercover Boyfriend (One Fine Day, #1) by Jacob Z. Flores

6. Six Years: IN OTHER LANDS by Sarah Rees Brennan (finished 7/2) In Other Lands by Sarah Rees Brennan
7. Lucky Number Seven: BASEBALLISSIMO by Dave Bidini (finished 7/19) Baseballissimo by Dave Bidini
8. Octopus's Garden (eight): SANTA CRUZ NOIR, edited by Susie Bright (finished 7/8) Santa Cruz Noir by Susie Bright
9. A Stitch in Time (nine): THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL by Maurene Goo (Clara makes Korean-Brazilian fusion food for her dad's food truck business; finished 7/10) The Way You Make Me Feel by Maurene Goo
10. Decade (ten): THE PERSIAN BOY by Mary Renault (originally published in 1972; finished 7/14) The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2) by Mary Renault

11. Veteran’s Day (eleven): HELL & HIGH WATER by Charlie Cochet (finished 7/22) Hell & High Water (THIRDS, #1) by Charlie Cochet
12. Calendar Year (twelve): MEN UNDER THE MISTLETOE, edited by Angela James (finished 7/23) Men Under the Mistletoe by Angela James
13. Unlucky (thirteen): MY ZOMBIE BOYFRIEND by T. Strange (horror/zombies; finished 7/14) My Zombie Boyfriend (The Undead Canadian, #1) by T. Strange
14. Fortnight (fourteen): THIEF OF SHADOWS by Elizabeth Hoyt (finished 7/3) Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4) by Elizabeth Hoyt
15. Blast from the Past (fifteen): TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC by James A. Michener (originally published in 1947; finished 7/25) Tales of the South Pacific by James A. Michener

message 11: by Sarena (last edited Sep 25, 2018 08:21PM) (new)

Sarena | 27 comments 9/15

Slouch Witch by Helen Harper
2. Once More with Feeling (two): Reread a book of your choice.
Allegiance of Honor by Nalini Singh
Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han
Sweet on the Greek by Talia Hibbert
Slouch Witch (The Lazy Girl's Guide to Magic, #1) by Helen Harper Allegiance of Honor (Psy-Changeling #15) by Nalini Singh Always and Forever, Lara Jean (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #3) by Jenny Han Sweet on the Greek (Just for Him #3) by Talia Hibbert

The Princess Trap by Talia Hibbert
Embers by Suzanne Wright (one of my favs)
A Duke by Default by Alyssa Cole - hero is a swords smith
The Princess Trap (Dirty British Romance, #1) by Talia Hibbert Embers (Dark in You, #4) by Suzanne Wright A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2) by Alyssa Cole

His Road Home by Anna Richland
Storm Front by Jim Butcher - fantasy minus the romance
14. Fortnight (fourteen): Read a historical romance.
His Road Home by Anna Richland Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher

message 12: by Jae (last edited Sep 29, 2018 05:52PM) (new)

Jae | 127 comments Finished!

1. Complete Jul 2 New Start (one): Read a book that’s the first in a series.
Silence by Michelle Sagara, book 1 of the Queen of the Dead YA paranormal series, 3.5 stars
2. Complete July 16 Once More with Feeling (two): Reread a book of your choice.
Isabella by Loretta Chase. One of my favorite Loretta Chase books and one of my favorite historical/regency romances.
3. Complete July 15 Trilogy (three): Read a book that is part of a trilogy.
Touch by Michelle Sagara, book 2 of the Queen of the Dead YA paranormal series, 4 stars
4. Complete July 19 Four Letter Word: Read a book with a four word title.
Under the Pendulum Sun by Jeanette Ng. Weird fantasy, 4 stars
5. Complete July 29 Pentagon (five): Read a book where a character works in politics or in government.
Playing Safe by Claudia Jameson. Contemporary romance, the leading lady's dad is an MP, 3 stars
6. Complete July 5 Six Years: Read a book published in the last six years.
The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang, published this year. Contemporary romance, 3.5 stars
7. Complete August 14 Lucky Number Seven: Read a book by your favorite author.
A Place Called Home by Jo Goodman, contemporary romance, 4 stars
8. Complete August 19 Octopus's Garden (eight): Read a book with an ocean theme.
Rolling in the Deep by Mira Grant; horrorful mermaid sci-fi 4 stars
9. Complete July 31 A Stitch in Time (nine): Read a book with a maker (baker, knitter, etc. - someone who makes things).
Sudden Fire by Elizabeth Oldfield, contemporary romance 3.5 stars. The leading lady is an artist who makes hand-painted tiles
10. Complete July 9 Decade (ten): Read a book published in the decade you were born
Heart of Marble by Helena Dawson, published 1989. Contemporary romance, 3 stars
11. Complete August 13 Veteran’s Day (eleven): Read a book with a military character.
Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner, book 3 of Starbound, YA Sci-fi, 3.5 stars, a couple of the secondary characters (who were primary characters in the earlier books) are soldiers.
12. Complete Sept 28 Calendar Year (twelve): Read a book that features a holiday.
Mistletoe Marriage by Jessica Hart; contemporary friends to lovers with a Christmas wedding 2.5 stars
13. Complete August 16 Unlucky (thirteen): Read a book in one of your least favorite genres.
Dragos Goes to Washington by Thea Harrison; paranormal romance, one of the novellas in the Elder Racers series, 3 stars
14. Complete July 25 Fortnight (fourteen): Read a historical romance.
Slightly Dangerous by Mary Balogh. This is one of my absolute, top 5 favorite romances, ever.
15. Complete July 26 Blast from the Past (fifteen): Read a book published in 2003 or earlier.
For Practical Reasons by Claudia Jameson. Published 1983, c ontemporary romance, 3 stars
1. Silence (The Queen of the Dead, #1) by Michelle Sagara 2. Isabella (Trevelyan Family, #1) by Loretta Chase 3. Touch (The Queen of the Dead, #2) by Michelle Sagara 4. Under the Pendulum Sun by Jeannette Ng 5. Playing Safe (Harlequin Romance #2936) by Claudia Jameson 6. The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang 7. A Place Called Home by Jo Goodman 8. Rolling in the Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #0.5) by Mira Grant 9. Sudden Fire by Elizabeth Oldfield 10. Heart of Marble by Helena Dawson 11. Their Fractured Light (Starbound, #3) by Amie Kaufman 12. Mistletoe Marriage by Jessica Hart 13. Dragos Goes to Washington (Elder Races, #8.5) by Thea Harrison 14. Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6) by Mary Balogh 15. For Practical Reasons by Claudia Jameson

The Bookstore Vixen  (thebookstorevixen) | 31 comments I've only ever done the seasonal/month challenge before, can the books crossover from that challenge too, if they apply, or do they need to be totally different books?

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Roberta wrote: "I've only ever done the seasonal/month challenge before, can the books crossover from that challenge too, if they apply, or do they need to be totally different books?"

You can use the same book in different challenges! You just can't use one book in different tasks for the SAME challenge. And obviously, any books you use have to be read during the challenge's timeframe.

message 15: by Norette Ferns (last edited Sep 12, 2018 08:46AM) (new)

Norette Ferns | 24 comments 12 September 15/15

New Start (one): Read a book that’s the first in a series. Tell Me Something Good by Jamie Wesley - 4.5 stars
Tell Me Something Good (One-on-One, #1) by Jamie Wesley

Once More with Feeling (two): Reread a book of your choice. Island Love: A Romantic Comedy Set on Ireland's Aran Islands by Eva Birrane - 5 stars
Island Love A Romantic Comedy Set on Ireland's Aran Islands by Eva Birrane

Trilogy (three): Read a book that is part of a trilogy. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han - 5 stars
To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han

Four Letter Word: Read a book with a four word title. When Katie Met Cassidy by Camille Perri - 5 stars
When Katie Met Cassidy by Camille Perri

Pentagon (five): Read a book where a character works in politics or in government. Retrosexual by Ainsley Booth - 4 stars
Retrosexual (Frisky Beavers, #0) by Ainsley Booth

Six Years: Read a book published in the last six years. Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone - 5 stars
Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone

Lucky Number Seven: Read a book by your favorite author. Rainy Day Friends by Jill Shalvis - 5 stars
Rainy Day Friends (Wildstone, #2) by Jill Shalvis

Octopus's Garden (eight): Read a book with an ocean theme. The Savage Blue by Zoraida Córdova - 4.5 stars
The Savage Blue (The Vicious Deep #2) by Zoraida Córdova

A Stitch in Time (nine): Read a book with a maker (baker, knitter, etc. - someone who makes things). Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny Reid - 4 stars
Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1) by Penny Reid

Decade (ten): Read a book published in the decade you were born Heartburn by Nora Ephron - 3 stars
Heartburn by Nora Ephron

Veteran’s Day (eleven): Read a book with a military character. Home by Jezz de Silva - 3.5 stars
Home by Jezz de Silva

Calendar Year (twelve): Read a book that features a holiday. Still Me by Jojo Moyes - 4 stars
Still Me (Me Before You, #3) by Jojo Moyes

Unlucky (thirteen): Read a book in one of your least favorite genres.Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse - 5 stars
Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1) by Rebecca Roanhorse

Fortnight (fourteen): Read a historical romance. The Governess Game by Tessa Dare - 5+ stars
The Governess Game (Girl Meets Duke, #2) by Tessa Dare

Blast from the Past (fifteen): Read a book published in 2003 or earlier. The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot - 4 stars
The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1) by Meg Cabot

message 16: by Cat (new)

Cat | 26 comments Ahhh I love this! Thanks Amanda!

New Start (one): Read a book that’s the first in a series.

Pentagon (five): Read a book where a character works in politics or in government.

A Stitch in Time (nine): Read a book with a maker (baker, knitter, etc. - someone who makes things).

message 17: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 66 comments Koozebane wrote: "15/15

1. New Start (one): TRACKER HACKER by Jeff Adams (Codename: Winger #1, finished 7/5) Tracker Hacker (Codename Winger, #1) by Jeff Adams
2. Once More with Feeling (two): LADY ISABELLA'S SCANDALOUS MARRIAGE ..."

Wow! Way to go Koozebane! Was there one in particular that you enjoyed?

message 18: by Koozebane (new)

Koozebane | 67 comments Ah, thank you! I didn't think I was a big historical person (except for some m/m ones), but I fell hard for Winter in THIEF OF SHADOWS. I was surprised that I didn't know about THE PERSIAN BOY before (stumbled on it trying to find something from the '70s, it was mentioned in a blog post somewhere about influential gay romances). It would really appeal to fans of Madeline Miller, but I think the historical details made this one even more compelling to me. And while the first half gets bogged down in some (impressive) world-building, I liked HELL & HIGH WATER enough to want to continue with the series. UNDERCOVER BOYFRIEND and LADY ISABELLA'S SCANDALOUS MARRIAGE are pretty entertaining, too. There's a great selkie story in SANTA CRUZ NOIR (even though it wasn't really my thing overall), and (even though it's a little long, and I'd be WAY more comfortable if Elliott were a few years older) IN OTHER LANDS' inversion of sexist tropes is pretty clever...

HeatherMarie wrote: "Koozebane wrote: "15/15

2. Once More with Feeling (two): LADY ISABELLA'S SC..."

message 19: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 251 comments Congrats, Koozebane!

message 20: by Jae (new)

Jae | 127 comments Congratulations Koozebane! I'm going to check out In Other Worlds, thanks for recommending

message 21: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 66 comments Koozebane wrote: "Ah, thank you! I didn't think I was a big historical person (except for some m/m ones), but I fell hard for Winter in THIEF OF SHADOWS. I was surprised that I didn't know about THE PERSIAN BOY befo..."

Welp my TBR just grew a bunch lol....

message 22: by Jae (new)

Jae | 127 comments Are graphic novels and shorter-than-novellas still disallowed?

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Jae wrote: "Are graphic novels and shorter-than-novellas still disallowed?"

Nope! You're allowed to use them!

message 24: by Jae (new)

Jae | 127 comments Amanda wrote: "Jae wrote: "Are graphic novels and shorter-than-novellas still disallowed?"

Nope! You're allowed to use them!"

Cooooool thanks

message 25: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 9 comments Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1) by Penny Reid One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3) by Ilona Andrews Even Odds (Slices of Pi, #1) by Elia Winters The Secret of Flirting (Sinful Suitors, #5) by Sabrina Jeffries Flirting with Fire (Hot in Chicago, #1) by Kate Meader
New Start (one): Read a book that’s the first in a series. Neanderthal Seeks Human, Penny Reid 7/7
One Fell Sweep, Ilona Andrews 8/12
Even Odds, Elia Winters
8/15

The Secret of Flirting, Sabrina Jeffries 7/28
Flirting with Fire, Kate Meader 7/12 PR for Chicago Mayer’s office
Tsumiko and the Enslaved Fox (Amaranthine Saga, #1) by Forthright. Echoes in Death (In Death, #44) by J.D. Robb A Mermaid's Kiss (Daughters of Arianne, #1) by Joey W. Hill The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang The Waiting Game by Jayne Ann Krentz
Tsumiko and the Enslaved Fox, Forthright 7/26 published 2018
Echoes in Death, JD Robb 7/6 and Northern Lights, Nora Roberts
8/7
A Mermaid's Kiss, Joey W. Hill
7/15
The Kiss Quotient, Helen Hoang
7/13 Taylor/Designer Hero
The Waiting Game, Jayne Ann Krentz 8/21 published 1985
Iron and Magic (The Iron Covenant, #1) by Ilona Andrews Someone to Care (Westcott #4) by Mary Balogh The Dark Calling (The Arcana Chronicles, #5) by Kresley Cole The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3) by Kerrigan Byrne Rendezvous by Amanda Quick
Iron and Magic, Ilona Andrews 8/4
Someone to Care, Mary Balogh 7/19 wedding at Christmas
Him, Sarina Bowen & 
Elle Kennedy
7/9 ends with family Thanksgiving
The Dark Calling, Kresley Cole, 7/29 YA Dystopian, with a love triangle
The Highlander, Kerrigan Byrne 7/7
Rendezvous, Amanda Quick 7/23 published 1991

message 26: by Sandy (last edited Sep 22, 2018 01:00PM) (new)

Sandy D. | 44 comments OK, we'll see how I do on this challenge! I think a lot that I used in the quarterly challenge will work here, too. :-)

New Start (one): Read a book that’s the first in a series. Box of Frogs, by Helen Harper, ★★★ 1/2 read 8/27. Paranormal mystery with a major cliffhanger.

Once More with Feeling (two): Reread a book of your choice. The Queen of Attolia, by Megan Whalen Turner. Re-Read 9/18 ★★★★★ and I love this series so much. Though "The King of Attolia" is my absolute favorite.

Trilogy (three): Read a book that is part of a trilogy. Dark Horse, by Michelle Diener, ★★★★ read 8/25. First and best of the "Class 5" sf/romance trilogy that I spent my whole weekend reading (I read the first to fulfill the alien' part of quarterly challenge!).

Four Letter Word: Read a book with a four word title. The Unexpected Miss Bennett, by Patrice Sarath. Read 7/8 ★★★★. Unexpectedly entertaining P&P spinoff featuring Mary (the pious middle sister).

Pentagon (five): Read a book where a character works in politics or in government. Dark Minds, by Michelle Diener. Read 8/26 ★★★. Conclusion of trilogy; hero is a captain investigating for United Council (a coalition of alien governments).

Six Years: Read a book published in the last six years. The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African American Culinary History in the Old South, by Michael W. Twitty, ★★★★ 1/2 read 8/24. Nonfiction and amazingly educational and eloquent. I would have given it 5 stars but it was a little repetitive.

Maybe not my all time ever favorite author (that would be Lois McMaster Bujold!), but definitely one of my recent favorite romance authors: Talia Hibbert - Untouchable; ★★★★ for this one, read 8/22. "A Girl Like Her" and "Damaged Goods" are my favorites of hers. :-)

Octopus's Garden (eight): Read a book with an ocean theme. In Great Waters, by Kit Whitfield. Read 9/7 ★★★, because I just disliked all the characters. The whole alternate kind of Elizabethan English history with 'merpeople' was fascinating, but both the main characters were so damn unlikable that I just didn't care much what happened to them. Good court intrigue and world-building, though.

A Stitch in Time (nine): Read a book with a maker (baker, knitter, etc. - someone who makes things). A Duke by Default, by Alyssa Cole, ★★★★ 1/2 read 8/2. Features a freakin' swordsmith. So cool.

Decade (ten): Read a book published in the decade you were born. Joy in the Morning, by Betty Smith (1963 - actually the year I was born!), read 9/12. ★★★ 1/2, mostly interesting for the historical details about marriage and childbirth in 1928, when it was set. This is by the author who wrote "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" and it is similarly autobiographical, except it covers her years as a young bride and mother at a midwestern college (University of Michigan was where Smith went). The casual sexism was just painful to read, but attitudes about sex and social class were fascinating.

Veteran’s Day (eleven): Read a book with a military character. Cowboy SEAL Redemption, by Nicole Helm. ★★★★ finished 8/2. Better than the title would suggest!

Love Lessons, by Heidi Cullinan, ★★★★ read 8/16. M/M romance set at a midwestern college, with several plot twists occurring on visits home to families at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Unlucky (thirteen): Read a book in one of your least favorite genres. As an atheist, one of my least favorite genres is Christian inspirational romance (though I do like Carla Kelly's books - even the Mormon ones). Took me a while to find one that I didn't hate, but Siri Mitchell's Like a Flower in Bloom was interesting, with its botanist heroine. Finished 9/22 ★★★.

Fortnight (fourteen): Read a historical romance. The Ruin of a Rake, by Cat Sebastian, ★★★★ read 7/10. M/M Regency romance.

Blast from the Past (fifteen): Read a book published in 2003 or earlier. My Life In The Maine Woods, by Annette Jackson. Memoir about being a game warden's wife in Maine in the 1930's, originally published in 1954. Read 9/12 ★★★; low key memoir mostly about hunting and fishing in Maine. Some attitudes about killing animals for sport or as pests quite different from today.

1. Box of Frogs (The Fractured Faery, #1) by Helen Harper 2. The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2) by Megan Whalen Turner 3. Dark Horse (Class 5, #1) by Michelle Diener 4. 5. Dark Minds (Class 5, #3) by Michelle Diener
6. The Cooking Gene A Journey Through African American Culinary History in the Old South by Michael W. Twitty 7. Untouchable (Ravenswood #2) by Talia Hibbert 8. In Great Waters by Kit Whitfield 9. A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2) by Alyssa Cole 10. Joy in the Morning by Betty Smith
11. Cowboy SEAL Redemption (Navy SEAL Cowboys, #2) by Nicole Helm 12. Love Lessons (Love Lessons, #1) by Heidi Cullinan 13. Like a Flower in Bloom by Siri Mitchell 14. The Ruin of a Rake (The Turner Series, #3) by Cat Sebastian 15. My Life in the Maine Woods A Game Warden's Wife in the Allagash Country by Annette Jackson

message 27: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Sep 03, 2018 06:38AM) (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 251 comments Finished!

Looking back and trying to pick my fav books make me realize that I rated His Majesty's Dragon as 4 stars, but I remember it the most fondly. I guess sometimes a little time helps clarify book feels. Probably the reason that I rated it 4 stars instead of 5 is because of the violence. Since it was not vivid enough to stay with me, the memories have faded, while the characters and story have stuck inside my head.

So His Majesty's Dragon is my fav from the group!

message 28: by Jae (new)

Jae | 127 comments Way to go Alyssa and Critterbee!

message 29: by Karin (last edited Oct 11, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

Karin (aquariandancer) | 4 comments SBTB Numbers Game Quarterly Challenge!
Goal Level 2: Complete ten of the challenges.
Progress: 10/10

Sweet Little Lies (Heartbreaker Bay, #1) by Jill Shalvis Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2) by Bec McMaster This Could Be Love by S.A. Price On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1) by Kendra Elliot Temporary by Sarina Bowen Slumber (The Sleeping Court Book 1) by Dagmar Avery About That Kiss (Heartbreaker Bay, #5) by Jill Shalvis The Trouble with Mistletoe (Heartbreaker Bay, #2) by Jill Shalvis The Viking's Bride by James Daniels Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Sarah (last edited Sep 18, 2018 12:13PM) (new)

Sarah | 9 comments New Start (one): Read a book that’s the first in a series.
Runaways, Vol. 1 Find Your Way Home by Rainbow Rowell

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2) by Alyssa Cole

Temptations of a Wallflower (The Wicked Quills of London, #3) by Eva Leigh

The Grave's a Fine and Private Place (Flavia de Luce, #9) by Alan Bradley

The Governess Game (Girl Meets Duke, #2) by Tessa Dare

Beauty and the Blacksmith (Spindle Cove, #3.5) by Tessa Dare

A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3) by Tessa Dare

Pretty Face (London Celebrities, #2) by Lucy Parker

Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7) by Kerry Greenwood

message 31: by Laure (new)

Laure Finished!

This ended up being a quarter that heavily featured rereads for me. Apparently, my brain wanted to revisit the tried and true these past few months. My favorite new read though was My Oxford Year by Julia Whelan.

Congrats to those who have completed the challenge and good luck to those who are finishing up!

message 32: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Sep 22, 2018 04:27PM) (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 251 comments Congrats, Laure!
YAY!

message 33: by Jae (new)

Jae | 127 comments Congrats Laure!

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Sandy D. | 44 comments Finished! I loved a Duke by Default, the Cooking Gene, and Dark Horse (and of course my re-read, The Queen of Attolia).

Untouchable and Love Lessons were really quite good, too.

message 35: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Sep 22, 2018 04:27PM) (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 251 comments Way to go, Sandy!
description

I <3 Duke by Default tooooooo!

message 36: by Laure (new)

Laure Yay, Sandy!!

The Bookstore Vixen  (thebookstorevixen) | 31 comments Finished!!! I saved the last two book until the last minute and had to scramble a little to find books I could get through in time. I was going to read Sweet Savage Love by Rogers for my birth decade book, but I knew that 700 pages would be a bit of a challenge for me to get through with having to work and live my life.

message 38: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 251 comments Roberta bringing it home!

description

message 39: by Jayne (new)

Jayne (britishjayne) | 49 comments Feel like both this month's challenges came in just under the wire.

Numbers Game Quarterly Challenge: July - September 2018
1. New Start (one): Read a book that’s the first in a series. Clutch (I Am Junco Series) - JA Huss. Read July 28, 2018

2. Once More with Feeling (two): Reread a book of your choice. Drive - K Bromberg. Aug 24, 2018

3. Trilogy (three): Read a book that is part of a trilogy. Destiny’s Embrace - Beverly Jenkins. Read July 11th, 2018

4. Four Letter Word: Read a book with a four word title. Wrong to Need You - Alisha Rai. Read July 12, 2018

5. Pentagon (five): Read a book where a character works in politics or in government. Rogue Passion Anthology. Read July 18th, 2018

6. Six Years: Read a book published in the last six years. Criminal Intentions: The Cardigans (Season One, #1) - Cole McCade (pub 2018). Read Sept 3, 2018

7. Lucky Number Seven: Read a book by your favorite author. Dr Strange Beard - Penny Reid. Read Aug 26., 2018

8. Octopus's Garden (eight): Read a book with an ocean theme. Siren’s Tide - Philippa Ballantine The Sea King’s Daughters book 1 (Series by different authors about mermaids). Read Sept 30, 2018

9. A Stitch in Time (nine): Read a book with a maker (baker, knitter, etc. - someone who makes things). A Duke by Default - Alyssa Cole. Read Aug 5, 2018

10. Decade (ten): Read a book published in the decade you were born. Lady of Quality - Georgette Heyer 1972. Read Aug 11, 2018

11. Veteran’s Day (eleven): Read a book with a military character. The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband - Julia Quinn. Read July 16th 2018

12. Calendar Year (twelve): Read a book that features a holiday. Close to the Mistletoe - Suzanne Ferrell. Read Aug 13, 2018

13. Unlucky (thirteen): Read a book in one of your least favorite genres. The Belles (YA) - Dhonielle Clayton., AudioBook completed Aug 9. 2018

14. Fortnight (fourteen): Read a historical romance. Wicked and the Wallflower - Sarah MacLean. Read Sept 2, 2018

15. Blast from the Past (fifteen): Read a book published in 2003 or earlier. Trust Me on This - Jennifer Crusie Pub 1997. Read Sept 30th, 2018

Clutch (I Am Just Junco, #1) by J.A. Huss Driven (Driven, #1) by K. Bromberg Destiny's Embrace (Destiny, #1) by Beverly Jenkins Wrong to Need You (Forbidden Hearts, #2) by Alisha Rai Rogue Passion (Rogue, #5) by Chelsea M. Cameron Criminal Intentions The Cardigans (Season One, #1) by Cole McCade Dr. Strange Beard (Winston Brothers, #5) by Penny Reid Siren's Tide (The Sea King's Daughters, #1) by Philippa Ballantine A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2) by Alyssa Cole Lady of Quality by Georgette Heyer The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2) by Julia Quinn Close to the Mistletoe by Suzanne Ferrell The Belles (The Belles #1) by Dhonielle Clayton Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1) by Sarah MacLean Trust Me on This by Jennifer Crusie