SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

News > Harlan Ellison

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sanford (last edited Jun 29, 2018 07:58AM) (new)

Sanford Hausler | 9 comments I'm shocked not to see a thread on the recent (yesterday) death of Harlan Ellison. I've been reading Harlan's stories and essays since I was in college in the late 70s. I had a chance to meet him about 15 years ago at a book signing in NYC, and had an open invitation to have dinner with him and his wife (sadly never exercised -- we live on opposite costs and the last time I was in LA he was out of town). While his output had dwindled in the last decade or so, there are plenty of the hundreds of stories worth reading, and he is among those few authors whose work I can always turn to with pleasure.

Rest in peace, Harlan Ellison.

message 2: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
Oh no!! That's so sad. Thanks for honoring him, his voice will be missed.

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike I’ll repeat what I posted in other forums:

Ellison was the curmudgeon’s curmudgeon who fought for writers everywhere and everywhen. He had thrice the talent of writers twice his size. RIP

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 291 comments I hadn't heard this. A great and important writer and figure within SF.

Wherever he is, I don't think he'll be resting.

message 5: by Sanford (new)

Sanford Hausler | 9 comments You might be right about that, Paul.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 174 comments He was truly one of the greats- I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream was one of the first short stories that I ever read, and that set a very high standard. Dangerous Visions is arguably one of the most important single books to be published in the genre- while some of the stories seem a bit dated now, it's amazing how it changed the field.

Whatever he was like in person, his works were integral to the field.

message 7: by Sanford (new)

Sanford Hausler | 9 comments I'm rereading I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream right now (in Alone Against Tomorrow).

message 8: by Gary (new)

Gary (plaidchuck) | 55 comments Indeed, RIP. He also championed many overlooked writers and petitioned that the Grand Masters got there due.

message 9: by Don (new)

Don Dunham "A boy and his dog" was to me an earthquake and a revaluation at the same time. RIP Mr. Ellison. Thank You for sharing some of your stories with us.

message 10: by Sanford (new)

Sanford Hausler | 9 comments Even the movie was great.