Reading the 20th Century discussion

General > The World Cup

Comments Showing 1-50 of 184 (184 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Nigeyb (last edited Jun 29, 2018 04:12AM) (new)

Nigeyb | 10369 comments Mod
I think Val and Susan are also enjoying the World Cup

I am not sure there will be too many other people here who are enjoying it, or even watching it most days.

That said, for those that are, here are a few questions you could answer...

How much are you enjoying this World Cup, especially compared with other World Cups?

What was the first World Cup you can properly remember?

Who do you want to win?

Who do you want to win (if not England or your home nation)?

Who do you think will win?

My replies...

I'm loving WC18 - the best for many a moon so far. Maybe ever. So far. Deffo one of the best group stages I can remember.

I clearly remember Brazil 70. My dad bought a tiny black and white portable TV so him and me (aged eight) could watch it in my parents bedroom whilst mum could still watch Coronation St etc. I clearly remember lying on the bed and watching Brazil, England etc. Still one of my favourite world cups.

I'd love England to win but it's not going to happen. That said, I was musing that in the unlikely event it happened it might further legitimise Brexit etc which would not be great from my point of view.

If not England, then Uruguay (or maybe Mexico).

Uruguay have really impressed me and, so far as I can understand, it's a brilliant country, really progressive and very equal. Footballing-wise they're been great. Let's see Uruguay lift the cup.

I think the actual winner will be France. They have one of the best squads and, despite Deschamps being a bit of poor manager, I think they will just get it together.

Over to you.

message 2: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 751 comments I have been watching a lot less than in some years, but following what is happening.

How much are you enjoying this World Cup, especially compared with other World Cups?

Argentina 1978 - Ally's Tartan Army!

Who do you want to win?

Anyone but England - so many people would be insufferable!

see previous answer!

It is still looking wide open. Brazil, Portugal, France and Belgium must be in with a shout, maybe even Sweden.

message 3: by Nigeyb (last edited Jun 29, 2018 04:39AM) (new)

Thanks Hugh

Ah. Scotland's fateful 1978 World Cup campaign still resonates - 40 years on.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/...

Still on iPlayer.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...

message 4: by Val (last edited Jun 29, 2018 07:27AM) (new)

Val | 1709 comments I thought we had a day off football today.

I usually enjoy watching it, but this is a good one because there have been some very close matches, which is more exciting.

I am old enough to remember the 1966 one, but we didn't have a television at the time, so the first one I watched was Mexico 1970 (Brazil won).

Who do you want to win?
England, or at least for them to play a few more games.

Anyone with a good wine growing region, so I have an excuse to celebrate (unless France and England meet in the final, because I would never hear the end of it).

Belgium have scored the most goals in the group stage and some of them were from open play (not just penalties), so they have a good chance. It is quite open this year, so it could be almost anyone.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) How much are you enjoying this World Cup, especially compared with other World Cups?

Am loving it! Absolutely!!

South Africa. I don't know if this was first time ESPN aired it. But after it was done, I was all for them FINALLY taking the Olympics away from NBC and giving it to ESPN it was so well run.

Who do you want to win?

England or Mexico

Same as above as my home nation (the US) did not make it.

I think Portugal or Uruguay will do it.

message 6: by Val (new)

Val | 1709 comments Hugh is quite correct that some people will be insufferable. The remedy, if someone starts being, is to say 'oh, good you're a sports fan' and then talk about rugby non-stop for about fifteen minutes (other sports might also work).

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) No sense in being insufferable. It's just fun to watch. Who knew Germany and Argetina would not be the powerhouses they usually are? It's a lot of fun rooting for countries that you normally don't see.

message 8: by Nigeyb (new)

An England victory (let's face it - not v likely) would indeed be both wonderful and nightmarish

I really don't like gloating and it would be horrific

Was anyone else a bit repulsed by the gloating which greeted Germany's failure to progress? I actually quite like Germany, and - even if I didn't - I think it's pretty poor rubbing it in (even with their annoying habit of nearly always finding a way to win).

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I never like gloating either. However, I also dont' like overly good teams.

What does everything of VAR? I think it's working out well. But I'm used to it, as baseball in America has been using it for a while.

message 10: by Nigeyb (new)

VAR is working way better than I was expecting and, whilst they appear to making some of it up as they go along, in the main it's making decisions more reliable.

message 11: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 751 comments Nothing against VAR in principle, but it does need to be applied consistently - there is always a temptation for the video analyst to attempt to rule on borderline decisions rather than giving the benefit of the doubt as instructed by the rules. The system still needs a bit of tweaking - it is not a mature process like the equivalents in rugby, tennis and cricket but I am sure that it will be refined.

message 12: by Pamela (last edited Jun 29, 2018 08:20AM) (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 534 comments How much are you enjoying this World Cup, especially compared with other World Cups?

Loving it so far, I was quite pleased that Germany went out, not because I don't like them (and I agree about the gloating) but because it means there will be a different winner.

1974. Wasn't allowed to watch 1970.

Who do you want to win?
England.

Someone who hasn't won before, Croatia or Mexico maybe. I have to root for an underdog.

probably Brazil

message 13: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 534 comments I like VAR so far, it does have some issues to be ironed out, but it's worked well on some really important calls like the penalties

message 14: by Susan (last edited Jun 29, 2018 10:38AM) (new)

Susan | 10622 comments Mod
I LOVE the world cup, Nigeyb. I have watched as many games as possible. I work with two Brazilians, so I am pleased that, should we progress past the next round, we won't be meeting them. They really would be insufferable if they knocked us out and I might have to avoid the office for a while!

I don't think England will progress much further, but I would absolutely LOVE them to win and - although I have Irish/Italian heritage, it is only really England that I support.

message 15: by Annabel (new)

Annabel Frazer | 82 comments I'm loving the WC now that my children are old enough to watch it with me and get excited. It's brought the whole family together and we are not a big football-watching family. Some of us barely understand the offside rule.

Other than England I like Colombia- very elegant style about them- which cannot end well as the two teams meet next round.

message 16: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm not much of a football/soccer fan either. But I love the competitions between countries, especially the WOMENS World Cup.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Women's football gets shown more than it used to over here. I must admit that I haven't watched much. I do enjoy the world cup, but my real football team is West Ham (I went to school next to the old Upton Park stadium in the Trevor Brooking days). I would say, in England certainly, club football is more popular than international football; although, of course, the World Cup is a lot of fun.

message 18: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 269 comments Susan wrote: "Women's football gets shown more than it used to over here. I must admit that I haven't watched much. I do enjoy the world cup, but my real football team is West Ham (I went to school next to the o..."

To insert a book into this football conversation, have you ever read London Falling, which centres on the Boleyn Ground?

message 19: by Susan (new)

No, I will have to have a look, thanks, Rosina. I know Philip Kerr also did some football related crime books, that I have long meant to read. January Window January Window (Scott Manson, #1) by Philip Kerr was the first in the series. Anyone know any other football novels?

message 20: by Val (last edited Jun 29, 2018 01:51PM) (new)

Val | 1709 comments I haven't read any, but The Guardian suggests these: https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

message 21: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Watching Argentina v France, is it just me or are the goalies/keepers really bad in this game?

message 22: by Susan (new)

France are certainly playing much better. Maradona has, apparently, been told to behave himself during the game...

message 23: by Nigeyb (new)

That was a magnificent match. It would been an absolute travesty if Argentina had somehow fluked a way through.

France will take some stopping. As predicted above, I thought that amazing France squad would get their act together.

message 24: by Susan (new)

It was brilliant. Just settling down to watch Uruguay and Portugal. I would like Uruguay to win.

message 25: by Nigeyb (new)

Yes, me too. I think Uruguay will win and I want them to win.

The sooner that preening narcissist Christiano R is on the way home the better.

Trouble is he does have a habit of scoring important goals for Portugal.

I think it will be a much tighter game than France v Argentina.

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I remember the last time I saw Uruguay I was disgusted with Suarez and I was rolling my eyes at all the fakery of Ronaldo pretending he was injured.

This year those two players seem to be much better behaved. However, I will be rooting for Uruguay.

I hope that lesser known teams make it to the final. I raally want to see Mexico do it.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Ha ha! NOT a Ronaldo fan either (I still remember that wink...).

message 28: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) What annoys me most is that gesture he has of putting his arms out wide with that look when he hears the ref's whistle...

message 29: by Susan (new)

Everything about him annoys me, Kirsten. At least Uruguay are winning at the moment.

message 30: by Susan (new)

What is going on with Ronaldo's shorts?!

message 31: by Val (new)

Val | 1709 comments France v Argentina was a great game, Uruguay v Portugal was not as great but not a dull game. In the Messi v Ronaldo contest, Messi wins by dropping back and being a goal maker rather than a goal scorer, which gave his national team their best chance.
I don't have any Uruguayan wine, so French and Argentinian it is. (If you are worried about my liver, I do have five other people here to share it with.)

message 32: by Susan (new)

Great day's football today.
Tomorrow we have: Spain vs Russia and
Croatia vs Denmark
Anyone have any favourites?

message 33: by Val (new)

Val | 1709 comments It will probably be Spain and Croatia going through, but the home supporters would love Russia to win.

message 34: by Susan (new)

I have a good Beatles friend in Russia, so I will be supporting them tomorrow and he will be supporting Russia - and, of course, England :)

message 35: by Nigeyb (new)

Thanks Susan. Thanks Val.

I think today is much harder to call than yesterday

Spain v Russia

On paper it's Spain all day long but, aside from the Portugal game, they've not looked convincing. Perhaps, now it's knockout, the real Spain will turn up but I am not saying that with any conviction.

Russia on home turf have looked pretty good. Croatia aside. Can they do it again? Seems highly unlikely but not out of the question

Croatia v Denmark

Again, on paper, it's Croatia at a canter, but Denmark will be organised and hard to beat and, get the ball to Christian Eriksen and he can hurt them.

So, I'm tipping...

Spain and Croatia, but not with that much conviction

And, following on from last night, and having seen both teams yesterday...

So what about France v Uruguay?

That's v tough to predict.

I bloody love Uruguay (except the rolling about).

Everything that Argentina want to be: tough, organised, uncompromising and with a prodigious work rate. A brilliant team. They will make it v hard for France and, as we've seen, they can be great going forward and Suarez is a world beater.

I cannot wait for that QF. Bring it on.

message 36: by Susan (new)

Uruguay is the team my daughter got in her school World Cup draw, so I have to support them - but I think France could do it. They looked like a team that really wanted to win yesterday.

message 37: by Val (new)

Val | 1709 comments None of the top rated teams looked convincing in the group stages, although most of them did manage to get through. I agree with Susan that France were more committed to winning yesterday.
We don't know what Russia's FIFA ranking would have been if they had played competitive matches in the last year, because they did not have to qualify and 'friendlies' don't give as many points. That makes them unpredictable.

message 38: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I don't really have any favorites in today's games. I am leaning towards Croatia.

message 39: by Susan (new)

Ooh, first penalty shoot out of the tournament!

message 40: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I don't believe it!!! Spain is out!!

message 41: by Susan (new)

What an open tournament this is. The mighty are falling (I hope that England are still standing come Tuesday, but am preparing myself for deep depression).

message 42: by Susan (new)

Football is so traumatic - I'm drained!

message 43: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm exhausted!!

message 44: by Susan (new)

Brazil vs Mexico tomorrow - shame it conflicts with the school run...

message 45: by Kirsten (last edited Jul 01, 2018 02:09PM) (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Oooh... looking forward to that one. I'm rooting for Brazil Mexico.

message 46: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 534 comments I'll be rooting for Mexico

message 47: by Val (new)

Val | 1709 comments I am never going to think penalty shoot-outs are a good way to decide a match the teams have already been playing for two hours.

message 48: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) There just so exhausted. But what other way is there? Maybe the coaches should do the penalty shoot out instead?

Penalty shoot outs are just so stressful too watch, I can't even imagine how stressful they are for those teams!

message 49: by Val (new)

Val | 1709 comments Golden goal is a bit better (first team to score wins).

message 50: by Susan (new)

Anything is better than penalty shoot outs; especially as England always lose them. Kirsten, I like your idea of the coach taking the penalties, except for the fact that our current manager is best known for missing a penalty in a very important match and helping us crash out of a tournament some years back....

« previous 1 3 4