This topic is about The Keeper of Lost Things
Group Reads - Fiction > Group fiction read July 2018- The Keeper of Lost Things

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Please discuss our group fiction read here

I bought this yesterday, it’s a very pretty cover! Looking forward to it

message 2: by Norton (new)

Norton Beckerman. (nortsb) | 97 comments I thought the group read for July was "One lew Over the Cuckoo Nest"?

message 3: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 12296 comments Mod
Norton wrote: "I thought the group read for July was "One lew Over the Cuckoo Nest"?"

No, we have two separate group reads. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is our classic choice, anything over fifty years old and will last for two months. And then we have our fiction group read which is a little broader, and it will only last for one month.

message 4: by Norton (new)

Norton Beckerman. (nortsb) | 97 comments Thanks I appreciate the update.

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Is anyone else planning on readimg this? Maybe I can get to it the second half of the month.

Shirley | 4177 comments I will be reading this in about a week, hopefully!

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Shirley wrote: "I will be reading this in about a week, hopefully!"

Good to hear Shirley! :)

PattyMacDotComma | 1255 comments I’ve just read it, and it’s kind of cute. It feels like the author has tried to fit in a little something for everybody.

My cover is even prettier!
The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan My review is here, and I don’t think there are any spoilers. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 9: by Greg (last edited Jul 07, 2018 07:00AM) (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
PattyMacDotComma wrote: "I’ve just read it, and it’s kind of cute. It feels like the author has tried to fit in a little something for everybody.

The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan M..."

Glad you liked it ok Patty! Great review!

PattyMacDotComma | 1255 comments Greg wrote: "PattyMacDotComma wrote: "I’ve just read it, and it’s kind of cute. It feels like the author has tried to fit in a little something for everybody.

[bookcover:The Keeper o..."

Thanks - I'll be looking for yours, Greg!

Shirley | 4177 comments just starting this now...

Leslie | 15985 comments I have the book from the library but don't know when I will get to it. I would like to read it; maybe I will make some time for it Sunday...

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished this on Wednesday and thought it was delightful. It is a little twee at times but the story covers so many issues. The main theme running through the book seems to be loss- loss of a loved one sudden, loss of a loved one through illness, loss of sentimental items. It also deals with gains- friendship, love, companionship

A few discussion points

I really liked the contrast in relationship between Eunice and Bomber and Laura and Freddy despite there being similarities in the way they are portrayed

I loved the theme of memory (view spoiler)

It took me a while (probably too long and I had to google) to realise what Sunshine meant by ‘dancing drone’. I really liked the character of Sunshine and her ability to see things as they are. I really think her character added to the beauty of the lost items

(view spoiler)

I gave it four starts and I would definitely read more by this author

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Leslie, the book can be very sad and deals with a lot of loss and memory. I just wanted to warn you in case you don’t feel up to it. It is a beautiful book though, that shows how we can cherish those we love even after they have died so it may be the right time for you.

message 15: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Starting tonight, Heather - your comments have whet my appetite.

message 16: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Chapter 3:
Eunice had been a clever girl...too bored in lessons to do well.”

I’ve long found it interesting that bored in French is a reflexive verb — Eunice made herself too bored to do well in lessons.

But in English we treat it almost as a sign of intelligence.

message 17: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Loving this - the writing sparkles - but EEEK the opening of Chapter 4 gave me the willies.

Leslie | 15985 comments Heather wrote: "Leslie, the book can be very sad and deals with a lot of loss and memory. I just wanted to warn you in case you don’t feel up to it. It is a beautiful book though, that shows how we can cherish tho..."

Thanks for the heads up Heather. I read it over the weekend and I liked it. But I could have done without the supernatural bits...

Claire  | 66 comments I finished the book a few days ago. I thought it was a good book, but was also disappointed a bit. The idea in itself is lovely. The characters are well described and likable.
However, I did not feel any connection to these characters.
All in all I thought it was a too slow book for what it was. I love slow books, if they have an excellent style, ideas or need to be put away once in a while. None of these applied here.
What I really found odd is the paranormal part (as some of you mentioned). I even wonder if that did not spoil the book for me.
This doesn’t mean I did not like the book, it just did not stand out. I gave it 3 stars

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I normally don't like the paranormal stuff but as I said I didn't mind it in this book, I am not sure why.

I don't think this is one I will want to read over and over again but I loved the reading experience

Shirley | 4177 comments Just realised I forgot to comment on here, even though I read this book in July! I rather enjoyed this book - it was a bit twee, but an interesting storyline, and I loved some of the characters, especially Sunshine. Like some of you, I didn't think the supernatural parts were necessary but didn't spoil the story for me.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) | 36 comments I just finished this book, and it was awesome! I really liked all the anecdotes about each little lost thing, and how the first chapter and last chapter encircled everything so neatly. I found the supernatural aspect a little much, but the rest was good enough for me to excuse it.