CUCC Reads discussion

Climate Church, Climate World: How People of Faith Must Work for Change
This topic is about Climate Church, Climate World
Climate Church - Week 5 > Week 5 - Question 2

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane EGS | 32 comments Mod
Antal offers suggestions for spiritual practices that cultivate hope (eponymous, pp. 165-169). Which of these practices might you be interested in exploring? Would you find it helpful to practice with others in your congregation? Are there other ways your congregation could support you in cultivating hope?

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary Smith | 10 comments This Sunday, our pastor preached on hope. She spoke of it regard to getting through times of adversity. To paraphrase, she said that the miracle of the Spirit is that Spirit keeps us hopeful, going and doing God’s work during adversity. The sermon was rejuvenating for me. So one thing the church does is speak hope when the future looks dim.
I like how Jim differentiates between hope and optimism. - the former takes work, the latter is a spectator! So when hope is spoken, it can move us to action.

message 3: by Carl (new)

Carl Sigel | 4 comments Gary,

Thanks for sharing your pastors message about hope. I am only on Chapter 7 of Antal's book, but I must say I am thoroughly enjoying it. During our NCIPL EC meeting yesterday, I encouraged others to read. We were talking about advocacy. What should our message be, and how can we get people out to vote? The point was made that we need to encourage people to vote according to their self interest. To vote for the candidate that best represents their self interest. My response was that recent polling indicates immigration is now the top issue and economy second and we don't know climate change stands. However, as Antal says, climate change is directly related to all of the top social issues and we need to help people understand that. Our messaging needs to explain the connection between immigration and the economy, etc.

One other thing about hope. Romans 5:2-5 is one of my favorite passages. "Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary Smith | 10 comments Thanks. I like the Romans quote! And Amen to messaging the connections with climate change.

Skip Stoddard | 10 comments Reading the whole hope vs. optimism stuff, and the Plenty Coups passage, and then the epilogue, I am left with a bit of confusion and/or ambiguity. Plenty Coups speaks of a traditional way of life being gone forever, and the need to figure out how to adapt to a new reality. Antal talks about how "wresting our future from the grip of fossil fuels seems impossible," and it appears in places that he is resigned to the inevitability that creation is irrevocably changed, and we will need to figure out how to live in a climate-changed world AFTER fossil fuels are used up. But, our addiction is really not to fossil fuels, but to energy. Are we to use our ingenuity, and build hope, by adapting to a post-apocalyptic world, or should we be developing and promoting clean energy, perhaps even technologies that are not yet known?
If people have given up on trying to wean our society from fossil fuels, then why even divest?
I like the McKibben reference on p. 169 about how we need to "stop being an individual." This cuts right to the heart of the matter. Selfishness and greed have put us where we are; selflessness, frugality, and austerity could bring us out.
In the epilogue, it is 113 degrees outside but the speaker talks about the world's national parks being endowed and protected. Could they really still enjoy them?
I really like the statement in the next to last paragraph about beginning to "bend the moral arc of the universe toward justice." This is a hopeful end, but it still seems a bit naive and optimistic.

Skip Stoddard | 10 comments Also, I want to be sure everyone catches the passage at the top of p. 175 where Antal mentions our own NC environmental racism story (Warren County). If you don't remember it, that was when PCB waste was illegally dumped and the state put it together in a landfill in a dominantly African American area. I wish Antal had included some detail, or at least a reference.