YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Chief (Highland Guard, #1)
This topic is about The Chief
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Highland Guard series by Monica McCarthy starting 30 June, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Story_girl | 421 comments An elite fighting force unlike the world has ever seen...

Scouring the darkest corners of the Highlands and Western Isles, Robert the Bruce handpicks ten warriors to help him in his quest to free Scotland from English rule. They are the best of the best, chosen for their superior skills in each discipline of warfare. And to lead his secret Highland Guard, Bruce chooses the greatest warrior of all.

The ultimate Highland warlord and a swordsman without equal, Tor MacLeod has no intention of being drawn into Scotland’s war against the English. Dedicated to his clan, the fiercely independent chief answers to no one—especially not to his alluring new bride, bartered to him in a bid to secure his command of the deadliest fighting force the world has ever seen. The treacherous chit who made her way to Tor’s bed may have won his hand, but she will never claim his heart.

Although her husband’s reputation is as fierce as his manner, Christina Fraser believes that something softer hides beneath his brutal shell. But the only warmth she feels is in their bed, in glorious moments of white-hot desire that disappear with the dawn. When Christina’s reckless bid to win her husband’s love goes awry and thrusts them into danger on the eve of war, Tor will face his ultimate battle: to save his wife and to open his heart—before it’s too late.

Story_girl | 421 comments STARTING BOOK 1 The Chief (Highland Guard, #1) by Monica McCarty

Story_girl | 421 comments Started it today morning...so far it's intriguing. Have you started yet?

Suranjana | 148 comments I have started last night as I said. Didn't get time to post an update. :)

Suranjana | 148 comments I am at chapter 9. This book is nice. I like the heroine already but the hero will have to work for me to like him.

Suranjana | 148 comments For Tor it is lust at first sight. A very typical male reaction.

message 7: by Suranjana (last edited Jul 02, 2018 09:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suranjana | 148 comments Chapter 10
(view spoiler)

Suranjana | 148 comments chapter 11
(view spoiler)

Story_girl | 421 comments I just started chapter 11. Due to some reason, I cannot open goodreads on my browser, so using the app. I'll respond to your spoilers later.

Suranjana | 148 comments Story_girl wrote: "I just started chapter 11. Due to some reason, I cannot open goodreads on my browser, so using the app. I'll respond to your spoilers later."

okay :)

message 11: by Suranjana (last edited Jul 02, 2018 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suranjana | 148 comments Chapter 13
(view spoiler)

Suranjana | 148 comments Chapter 14
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Suranjana (last edited Jul 02, 2018 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suranjana | 148 comments Chapter 15
(view spoiler)

Story_girl | 421 comments Suranjana wrote: "Chapter 10
"He would make her his. He would make her no other promises,..."
Hey I am alpha warrior, I don't know about affection.

(eye-roll)
"

😂😂😂😂😂

Poor guy...he's never known love. He needs someone to show him what's love :P

Suranjana | 148 comments Chapter 15
(view spoiler)

Story_girl | 421 comments Suranjana wrote: "Chapter 13

"That wasn’t all. There was something different about the keep since she’d arrived. Something other than the tapestries and changes that she’d pointed out that he couldn’t quite put his..."

Yes emotional stuff is alien to him. All he thinks to himself is... I'm a warrior. Emotions only get in the way. See how he thinks his brother is a fool for having run away for love.

Story_girl | 421 comments Suranjana wrote: "Chapter 15
A wife had no claim on her husband’s fidelity. If he wanted to have a leman, he would, and there was nothing that she could do about it.

Where is that bottle of rat poison when I need ..."

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

This story wasn't written in this century dear. Just see all of them are uneducated (mostly). Even the men are not well educated and they know it. And woman being educated is downright condemned.

The men are all brawn ;)

Story_girl | 421 comments Chapter 21

(view spoiler)

Story_girl | 421 comments Oh by the way...are you enjoying the portions where they are describing the training of the men? The rigorous tasks and training that they are undergoing? I really enjoyed those portions. I wish there was more of it.

Story_girl | 421 comments Chapter 24

(view spoiler)

Story_girl | 421 comments Finished it. Loved the book!!! Can't wait to start the next one

Suranjana | 148 comments Story_girl wrote: "Chapter 24

This girl is so so intelligent... throughout the book she's displayed intelligence in her every decision. But how could she decide that running away in the middle of the night was a w..."

She became overwhelmed by her emotions. Plus Tor was really rude to her. I wanted to kick him.

Suranjana | 148 comments Story_girl wrote: "Oh by the way...are you enjoying the portions where they are describing the training of the men? The rigorous tasks and training that they are undergoing? I really enjoyed those portions. I wish th..."
Yes I quite like those portions too. I have a thing about Scotland as long as I was aware of its existence. I read a bit about Scottish history too. So I can say this book was very well researched.

Suranjana | 148 comments Story_girl wrote: "Finished it. Loved the book!!! Can't wait to start the next one"
Yeah I finished it too. Liked it a lot.

Story_girl | 421 comments Suranjana wrote: "Story_girl wrote: "Chapter 24

This girl is so so intelligent... throughout the book she's displayed intelligence in her every decision. But how could she decide that running away in the middle o..."

Yep. She was right in wanting to leave him.

Story_girl | 421 comments Suranjana wrote: "Story_girl wrote: "Oh by the way...are you enjoying the portions where they are describing the training of the men? The rigorous tasks and training that they are undergoing? I really enjoyed those ..."

Yes to the good research. Not because I am familiar with Scottish history but based on the author's note at the end of the book.

Apparently there's an actual Dunvegar castle in Scotland. I googled it after I finished the book.

Story_girl | 421 comments Suranjana wrote: "Story_girl wrote: "Finished it. Loved the book!!! Can't wait to start the next one"
Yeah I finished it too. Liked it a lot."

Will we read book 2?

Story_girl | 421 comments STARTING BOOK 2 The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2) by Monica McCarty

Suranjana | 148 comments Yes starting it.

Story_girl | 421 comments Finished chapter 5

I'm having a lot of fun reading this. The rogue charming pirate being put in his place by Ellie

Story_girl | 421 comments Reading chapter 14. Were you able to make some progress?

Suranjana | 148 comments Yes I am chapter 10.

Story_girl | 421 comments End of chapter 22

I know I have not been commenting properly. But mostly I couldn't find much to comment on. So I'll try to summarize

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Story_girl (last edited Jul 09, 2018 08:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Story_girl | 421 comments Finished the book. I loved this even more than book 1.
5 star rating for sure!

Suranjana | 148 comments Finallu finished the book. And it was a solid 4 stars.

Suranjana | 148 comments I think this one was angsty and full of emotional issues, emotional drama.

Story_girl | 421 comments Haha...angsty :P It felt alright to me. I'm glad it was upto 4 stars to you :D

Story_girl | 421 comments Starting book 3 The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3) by Monica McCarty

Suranjana | 148 comments Ready too!

Suranjana | 148 comments I am on chapter three. These series has some mulish heroes. They're products of their time, but when I, a woman of 21st century read these stories, I cannot but feel immense respect for my women ancestors. They were saints and they were warriors too.

Story_girl | 421 comments I didn't get to start the other day. I got distracted by another really good book. I'll try to start today. I think I've read the prologue or something. Got to check :)

Story_girl | 421 comments Just finished chapter 6

Story_girl | 421 comments Suranjana wrote: "I am on chapter three. These series has some mulish heroes. They're products of their time, but when I, a woman of 21st century read these stories, I cannot but feel immense respect for my women an..."

Hahaha...true. But I think of the 3 women in this series so far, the woman in book 1 had the patience of a saint. I know for a fact that I wouldn't have been able to behave anything like her, in those circumstances. Also I believe "chief" in book 1, was the most mule headed of them all :P

In this book, Anna is persistent but it's her father's requirement that she spy on him, that's mostly motivating her. So I don't think she can rival the woman from book 1 (sorry I don't recall the name. Really bad with names)

Story_girl | 421 comments Chapter 8

I don't know about you....but I'm really disliking this Anna. Have some self dignity and walk away woman. She's just annoying me. She's always buzzing about like an irritating fly

Story_girl | 421 comments Chapter 9

Something special? She's still finding something special in after that kiss. This woman is hopeless. Walk away. Find someone else. Uggghhhh. She's making me mad.

Suranjana | 148 comments I am at chapter 8. I can totally sympathise with Anna and I can totally get you too.
I think what is happening is Anna is very invested in that asinine hero. And as you know love makes you shameless begger. I should know. I have been once in a same situation and it ended in badly.

Suranjana | 148 comments Yes I think Christina, Chief's lady is a veritable saint, too. But all in all, I bow to the patience and persistence of the females. I would be giving up long, long ago. Been there, done that. No thank you.

Suranjana | 148 comments 🙂 I think, I can safely predict the asinine (read alpha) hero's thinking, I don't want to want you. But I want you. So I will torture you and myself by denial. I will ruin you for everyone else.
🙄🙄🙄🙄

Story_girl | 421 comments Suranjana wrote: "🙂 I think, I can safely predict the asinine (read alpha) hero's thinking, I don't want to want you. But I want you. So I will torture you and myself by denial. I will ruin you for everyone else.
🙄🙄🙄🙄"

This has been the theme of the hero for all three books. Nothing unique so far in Ranger's thinking

Story_girl | 421 comments Suranjana wrote: "Yes I think Christina, Chief's lady is a veritable saint, too. But all in all, I bow to the patience and persistence of the females. I would be giving up long, long ago. Been there, done that. No t..."

Yes. No doubt there has been substantial change in female mindset over time. A good change no doubt.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.