The Bookshop Band - writing songs inspired by books discussion

More music based on literary works

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ciro (last edited Aug 02, 2014 05:36PM) (new)

Ciro (cirovelasquez) | 2 comments Hi there!

Want your opinion on other songs/albums based on literary works.
Wikipedia has a comprehensive list here.

The ones that I remember and like myself are, among others:

"Banana Co." by Radiohead (based on Gabriel García Marquez's Cien Años de Soledad)

"Annabel Lee" (in Spanish) by Radio Futura (based on the poem by Edgar A Poe)

I Robot (album) by The Alan Parsons Project (based on the novel by Isaac Asimov)

Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (album) by Rick Wakeman (based on Jules Verne's Voyage au centre de la Terre)

"The Lady Of Shallott" by Loreena McKeennitt (based on the poem by Alfred Lord Tennyson)

"The Prophecy" and "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" by Iron Maiden (based on Orson Scott Card's The Seventh Son)

"To Tame A Land" by Iron Maiden (based on Frank Herbert's Dune)

Tales Of Mystery And Imagination (album) by The Alan Parsons Project (based on various works by Edgar A Poe)

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds by Jeff Wayne (based on H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds)

Music Inspired by The Lord Of The Rings (album) by Mostly Autum (based on J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy)

What do you think?

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben Please | 4 comments Mod
Yes, we're certainly not anywhere near the first people to write songs inspired by books. People have been writing songs inspired by stories since language began - thinks bards and folk songs, and then yes, those and many more. Looking through the list it's a really diverse and eclectic range of songs and styles and stories, not covered by any one genre. But the weird thing is that I'm interested to listen to them all. It defies normal genres defined by how things sound. Instead what you have is a genre of music inspired by a common source, stories (and books). I'd love there to be a new genre to tie all this together - where people with diverse musical tastes can find a common ground in their own diversity, I think that'd be ace. Any ideas for a genre name? We've been tagging our YouTube videos with "Bookcore" as a starter...