#HPReadathon2018 discussion

#HPReadathon2018 > OOTP: Sirius

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Drew (new)

Drew (thataleech) | 40 comments Mod
Can Sirius’s behaviour throughout the book be justified?
- Did he try and live life vicariously through Harry?
- How did living in Grimmauld Place again affect him?
- Can his treatment of Kreacher be justified?
- Was he cooped up too long by Dumbledore?
- Is he to blame for his own demise?

message 2: by Elisa (new)

Elisa (ravenclaw_patronus) | 29 comments Sirius is a great character who had an unfortunate life. He totally tried to live vicariously through Harry because he loved him so much and has such a bad life that he needs to do that in order to survive and be happy. I think his treatment of Kreacher is fine because not many witches and wizards treat their house elves right. They mostly treat them badly.
Sirius was cooped up way too long by Dumbledore. He spent 12 years cooped up in Azkaban and when he finally gets out, he needs to be cooped up again inside his old house under Dumbledore’s orders which makes him annoyed and uneasy, especially since he’s back in his family’s house which he hated. Living in that house again made him remember his family and how bad they were. All of the relicks in that home remind Sirius of his bad family memories that he so wanted to forget.

message 3: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Wells | 24 comments I completely justify Sirius' behaviour, whilst he did try to live vicariously through Harry you can understand why as he missed out on so much of Harry's childhood and 12 years of his own life. He was trapped inside Grimmauld Place, a house that reminded him of his own childhood which I'm sure led to a grudge against Dumbledore as it was his idea. Many people don't treat house elves well and while I agree that they should be treated well to an extent, I'm not a fan of Kreacher so his behaviour towards him was fine in my opinion. Sirius is not to blame for his death.