The Black Library discussion

Black Library > The Gaunts Ghosts Series

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan (new)

Stefan | 5 comments GG was my introduction to 40K books. I absolutely love the series. I find the characters more memorable that some of the stories, not that I hated any of the boos so far. It has been a while since anything new came out (other than short stories) so I really hope Dan gets around writing a new one.

message 2: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments never read it, and honestly not too interested.
though it is on my list to read, alongside over 1.8k other things lol

message 3: by Dorthe (new)

Dorthe (dortheaabom) | 2 comments I've read all of it, and love it. Opening a new book in the series is like coming back to old friends.

Since I've started writing more myself, and in English, I have a newfound appreciation for Dan's mastery of storytelling.

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee Frost | 7 comments I've just downloaded First & Only, it's been a long time on the TBR pile and Mr Abnett deserves better lol.

message 5: by Marc (new)

Marc Jones | 36 comments The series was excellent up until The saint arch ended, from there things just became more and more like a bunch of unkillable central characters surviving against odds space marines would find threatening whilst countless redshirts die messy deaths.
Dans a great writer but since he went "part-time" for Black Library his ending has been pretty lackluster.

message 6: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Marc wrote: "The series was excellent up until The saint arch ended, from there things just became more and more like a bunch of unkillable central characters surviving against odds space marines would find thr..."

I think that post sums up my thoughts on the series, without actually having read any of it.
I remember reading the Ravenor Omnibus, and as I don't want to spoil anything, a relatively normal human does some INSANE shit, that Space Marines wouldn't even be able to do.
I am much more in the boat that the ONLY thing ANY IG really has is numbers lol

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee Frost | 7 comments Ahh man, you guys got me questioning whether to invest time into this...

message 8: by Marc (new)

Marc Jones | 36 comments Anything before and including sabbat martyr are awesome....afterward its just a case of unkillable super guard and a series of deus ex machina.

message 9: by Omar (new)

Omar El Sahhar (vhald666) | 7 comments i finished the first 2 omnibus and i think its worth reading so far. armour of contempt has one of the best battle scenes ive ever read, and this is coming from a horus heresy fan :)

message 10: by Marc (new)

Marc Jones | 36 comments Omar wrote: "i finished the first 2 omnibus and i think its worth reading so far. armour of contempt has one of the best battle scenes ive ever read, and this is coming from a horus heresy fan :)"

Isn't Armour of contempt in the 3rd omnibus "The Lost" ?

message 11: by Gianfranco (new)

Gianfranco Mancini | 9 comments First 3 omnibus are awesome! The Saint one is the best for me. My most favourite one Black Library series with the Horus Heresy.

message 12: by Omar (new)

Omar El Sahhar (vhald666) | 7 comments Well I started with armour of contempt and I liked it so much I started the whole thing. But I like how u are alert ;) good job soldier. We all live to serve the emperor

message 13: by Marc (new)

Marc Jones | 36 comments No one expects the inquisition...apart from Omar who was clearly waiting with Muffins and Ice tea for us to pounce.

message 14: by Mark (new)

Mark Horner (markph84) | 2 comments I absolutely love the GG series not only for the characters but the overall story arc. There are discrepancies but nothing that subtracts from the rich narratives. I believe it is a worthy investment, along with the Ravenor/Eisenhorn series. The only one outside of Dan Abnett I've really enjoyed is Commissar Cain by Sandy Mitchell.

message 15: by Omar (new)

Omar El Sahhar (vhald666) | 7 comments ravenor . eisenhorn

message 16: by Omar (new)

Omar El Sahhar (vhald666) | 7 comments so I want to start eisenhorn /ravenor series. where should I start . and I understand from reading many comments that its that good.

message 17: by Marc (new)

Marc Jones | 36 comments The first book in the series is Xenos, you cant really read them out of order otherwise it just wont makes sense.

message 18: by Dawie (new)

Dawie | 36 comments Anyone read First and Only? Think its the prequal to how Guant started out. I read it a few months ago, quite liked it and will be looking out for the follow ups.

message 19: by Dawie (new)

Dawie | 36 comments I got FaO realy cheap too and its such a beautifull cover. Aswell as the Ravenor omnibus. Currently looking for the Eisenhorn books and then moving on to Ravenor vs Eisnhorn. I picked up a coppy of Pariah the other day,if I find them I dont think twice about taking them home with me.

message 20: by Omar (new)

Omar El Sahhar (vhald666) | 7 comments eisenhorn i heard it very good and i got the whole series. but i really didnt like xenos, someone tell me its gonna ge
t better

message 21: by Omar (new)

Omar El Sahhar (vhald666) | 7 comments as for gaunt its great but i have a problem remembering the characters as they are too much and tend to increase

message 22: by Dawie (new)

Dawie | 36 comments Bought Ghostmaker yesterday, not sure if its a stand alone or follows up on First and only. Anyone else read it before?

message 23: by Marc (last edited Feb 09, 2016 03:43AM) (new)

Marc Jones | 36 comments Ghostmaker is a collection of shorts that mostly appeared in old issues of inferno.
Its presented in this format as a sequel to first and only but i think it also includes a short tale of the regiments founding.

message 24: by Dawie (new)

Dawie | 36 comments Thanks Marc, its gona be while till i read it any how still busy with Salamanders omnibus.

message 25: by Adam (new)

Adam Jones (spruegrey) | 7 comments Yeah, it's pretty well Gaunt's Ghosts, the formative years. Some good stories in there, nonetheless.

message 26: by Marc (new)

Marc Jones | 36 comments Dawie wrote: "Thanks Marc, its gona be while till i read it any how still busy with Salamanders omnibus."

Id recommend reading it asap so u can get round to necropolis, its possibly the greatest guard story ever

message 27: by Dawie (new)

Dawie | 36 comments Thanks, also by Abnette?

message 28: by Adam (new)

Adam Jones (spruegrey) | 7 comments All the Gaunt's stuff is written by Dan Abnett. I second the Necropolis call. Seriously good stuff!

message 29: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Dawie wrote: "Anyone read First and Only? Think its the prequal to how Guant started out. I read it a few months ago, quite liked it and will be looking out for the follow ups."

First and Only was the first novel, it's just only been recently reprinted by itself.

Marc wrote: "Anything before and including sabbat martyr are awesome....afterward its just a case of unkillable super guard and a series of deus ex machina."

This sums up my thoughts on a lot of Abnett's writing TBH lol

message 30: by Dawie (new)

Dawie | 36 comments First Abnett book I read was Ravenor the omnibus. I liked it even though I am not too familiar with the Inqusition and all the rules and laws. Abnett does sometimes get a bit sidetracked with stories... But as a whole I liked it als liked the fact that i could finish a series. But then found out along the way I still need to get my hands on Eisenhorn series aswell... sigh... I got introduced to WH too late in my life...

message 31: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments I'm in a similar boat man, got into it a number of years ago, but by then there's was already sooooo many books lol

message 32: by Marc (new)

Marc Jones | 36 comments In a way were lucky that BL releases so few actual novels these days

message 33: by Dawie (new)

Dawie | 36 comments One thing I know, one day when I have kids, they will be well versed in WH universe.

message 34: by Rob (new)

Rob Lepley (rlepley6) | 2 comments I'm a big fan of the series. And agree that as it goes on, some of the plots get a little thin. But I still really enjoy the books and can't wait till "the Warmaster" comes out in December.