Booktube Manga Club! discussion

Past Group Reads > Full Metal Alchemist

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bribookreviews (new)

Bribookreviews (books_4_bridget) | 121 comments Mod
This is the official thread for our August reading of Full Metal Alchemist by Hiromu Arakawa.

FMA is 27 volumes total and the entire series has been published. There are even bind-up releases for the first 24 volumes.
I noticed a lot of you were reading way ahead of the scheduled reading, so I decided to try something more ambitious this month and have us read 2 volumes each week! That would really only mean one book per week if you decide to go the bind-up route. (Which is what I'm doing!)

8/1-8/9: volumes 1-2
8/10-8/16: volumes 3-4
8/17-8/23: volumes 5-6
8/24-8/31: volume 7-8

That's not even half the series guys! I know we can do it. Don't want to purchase the books? Here is the link to read it online >>>> http://www.mangahere.co/manga/full_me...

Now one of the things I want to mention about these read-a-longs is that a lot of these series we will not be completing together. I knew that going into this there are series soooo long that they have 70+ volumes; a major point I want to make is that this is a great way to introduce a lot of manga that is not that well known or not discussed as much in the booktube community. I wanted to start this as an introduction to the manga world, so it's up to you guys to continue with a series After we are done for the month, if you are really interested. However, If we do a read-a-long for a manga that A LOT of people love and want to continue marathoning into the next month, it's something that we can do as long as the majority votes for that.

message 2: by Arianna (new)

Arianna Ahhh 2 volumes a week is great! I can't wait to start this manga, I watched the anime last year and LOVED it!

message 3: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 30 comments I have the first 15 volumes. Starting them tonight.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (moro) | 53 comments Already started volume 1. Love it!

message 5: by Bribookreviews (new)

I have all of the currently released bind-ups. started reading book one, got a little sidetracked by crunchyroll lol! I'm off all day tom and plan on doing a lot of reading then.

Kari (TheWriter'sBookChamber) (thewritersbookchamber) | 2 comments Can't wait to get my bind UPS

message 7: by Bribookreviews (new)

Already read the first bind-up! Now I must go binge watch my brotherhood DVDs all while cuddled under my Roy mustang throw blanket. Lol!

message 8: by Adri (new)

Adri (perpetualpages) Bribookreviews wrote: "Already read the first bind-up! Now I must go binge watch my brotherhood DVDs all while cuddled under my Roy mustang throw blanket. Lol!"

Oh, while we're on the subject, I was wondering what the best way to watch the anime seasons would be if I wanted to watch parallel to reading the manga. Some people have told me that Brotherhood closely follows the manga, so should I watch that one first instead? Either way I'm just gonna start the first bind up tonight! Excited :D :D :D

message 9: by Bribookreviews (new)

Adriana wrote: "Bribookreviews wrote: "Already read the first bind-up! Now I must go binge watch my brotherhood DVDs all while cuddled under my Roy mustang throw blanket. Lol!"

Oh, while we're on the subject, I w..."

Yes while both series start off the same they quickly take a completely different turn in where the story goes. Brotherhood is the one that follows the manga. The original FMA series was released while the author was still writing the manga, so to not spoil future readers they made up a totally different story. After the manga was done, there was a demand for a re-do on the anime thus brotherhood! Which definitely has a more superior plot and character development to me anyways, so I like it more. :)

message 10: by Bribookreviews (new)

Bribookreviews wrote: "Adriana wrote: "Bribookreviews wrote: "Already read the first bind-up! Now I must go binge watch my brotherhood DVDs all while cuddled under my Roy mustang throw blanket. Lol!"

Oh, while we're on ..."

But both are really good! So watch brotherhood first then the other one, it's still a fantastic show in itself as long as you think of it as being completely seperate.

message 11: by Adri (new)

Adri (perpetualpages) Bribookreviews wrote: "Adriana wrote: "Bribookreviews wrote: "Already read the first bind-up! Now I must go binge watch my brotherhood DVDs all while cuddled under my Roy mustang throw blanket. Lol!"

Oh, while we're on ..."

Wow, I didn't know that at all! Thanks for the advice, I saw the first ep of Brotherhood and it was really good! I will consider the other one like a spin-off ;D

I just finished volume 2 of the first bind up this morning and OH MY GOD it was so good! That scene where Major Armstrong is blubbering over Edward and Al's love and valor was practically a self portrait lol I like that the series is equal parts badass and comedic relief so far :D

message 12: by Bribookreviews (new)

Adriana wrote: "Bribookreviews wrote: "Adriana wrote: "Bribookreviews wrote: "Already read the first bind-up! Now I must go binge watch my brotherhood DVDs all while cuddled under my Roy mustang throw blanket. Lol..."

Oh Armstrong....lol! He's hilarious, Hughes's obsession with talking about how cute his daughter is is another fav of mine too. :)

message 13: by Alison (new)

Alison Weston (lantis) | 8 comments Just finished the first two volumes as I have them from way back in the day. ^^ I love this manga/anime series. Overall I preferred the Brotherhood version of the anime but I think that the first series actually covered the Shou Tucker section the best, there was a definite lump in my throat. Looking forwards to picking up volumes 3 & 4.

message 14: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 7 comments I finished book 1. It was okay. I liked death note better.

message 15: by Adri (new)

Adri (perpetualpages) How is everyone enjoying FMA?!

I really love it so far. I like that there's so much emotional/character development, and all those well-timed flashbacks, but the series manages to make me laugh while also hitting me in the feels! I really understand why so many people call this series their favorite now :D

message 16: by Steven (new)

Steven (rino9996) | 6 comments Since I joined the group a bit late, i'm behind in FMA. I finished volume 1 last night and absolutely loved it. I went to my library and volume 2 is checked out. Hopefully it'll be available tomorrow!

message 17: by Adri (new)

Adri (perpetualpages) Steven wrote: "Since I joined the group a bit late, i'm behind in FMA. I finished volume 1 last night and absolutely loved it. I went to my library and volume 2 is checked out. Hopefully it'll be available tomorrow!"

Hope you got your hands on volume 2 by now, it's one of my favorites in the series so far! Ah, since FMA is such a quick read, I'm sure you won't be behind for long (:

message 18: by Arianna (new)

Arianna Even if I saw Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood last year and I knew *exactly* what was coming, I cried like a baby reading chapter 16. Sigh.

message 19: by Steven (new)

Steven (rino9996) | 6 comments I went to another library near me and checked out volumes 2, 3 and 4. Just about done with volume 4 actually. Volume 2 was really good. Scar is an awesome character!

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (moro) | 53 comments Chapter 16! Oh, the feels!

message 21: by Bribookreviews (new)

Omg guys! I'm so sorry for my absence and lack of participation this month! Surprisingly though I've read the first 4 bind ups this month and I'm in the middle of the 5th. I hope to finish it before August ends. :)

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (moro) | 53 comments I finished vol 6 (bind up #2) of FMA. Lots of "feels"! Already picked up the next bind up. I loved the backstory of Ed and Al.

message 23: by Adri (new)

Adri (perpetualpages) Bribookreviews wrote: "Omg guys! I'm so sorry for my absence and lack of participation this month! Surprisingly though I've read the first 4 bind ups this month and I'm in the middle of the 5th. I hope to finish it befor..."

You can do it, Bri!

message 24: by Adri (new)

Adri (perpetualpages) Sue wrote: "I finished vol 6 (bind up #2) of FMA. Lots of "feels"! Already picked up the next bind up. I loved the backstory of Ed and Al."

ugh YES,the bits of backstory always hit ya square in the feels. This woman knows character development :'D

message 25: by Adri (new)

Adri (perpetualpages) This is probably so irrelevant since we're technically reading Sailor Moon now, but I am in the middle of marathoning FMAB and I am drowing in all of the goddamn feels ever known to man. Every. single. one. of. them.

message 26: by Bribookreviews (new)

Adriana wrote: "This is probably so irrelevant since we're technically reading Sailor Moon now, but I am in the middle of marathoning FMAB and I am drowing in all of the goddamn feels ever known to man. Every. sin..."

Omg! I'm itching to re watch the series now that I've been re reading it. Freaking fantastic!