Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
This topic is about The Two Towers
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Two Towers [Sept 5, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
September 5th.

Callia | 2 comments I’m almost finished The Fellowship so I think I’ll join!😊

message 3: by Jacqueline (new) - added it

Jacqueline (jacimae19) | 1 comments I'll join

message 4: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments In

message 5: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) me too guys

message 6: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I started today.

Chapter 3:
(view spoiler)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I just read the first chapter last night. I'm really excited to reread this one. It's been a long time and I'm already really liking it.

message 8: by K L (last edited Sep 06, 2018 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

K L  | 342 comments I read the first couple of chapters. The writing (especially the dialogue) is very theatrical!

I think I am going to enjoy this one more than the first one :)

K L  | 342 comments I enjoyed the first half, but in the middle now and I feel it is starting to drag. Is it just me?

message 10: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I haven't made it that far. This one will likely be slow for me.

message 11: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I'm not on the second half yet but I always found it a bit slow as well.
I've only done 1-2 chapter every day so far because I want to take my time, no need to rush.

K L  | 342 comments I have finished The Two Towers. I definitely prefer it to the first book. The pace is better and it actually felt like a lot of was happening. I am not a fan of the fact that the narratives of the two groups of characters are separated into two halves. I would have preferred it if they were interspersed.
Overall an improvement on the first book. I gave it 4 stars :)

message 13: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments The second half is more Sam and Frodo right? I tend not to enjoy them as much. But I like some of the characters they encounter.

K L  | 342 comments C.P. wrote: "The second half is more Sam and Frodo right? I tend not to enjoy them as much. But I like some of the characters they encounter."

Yep. That goes for me too. I always feel the dynamic between Sam and Frodo is a bit off, but I can't put my finger on it.

message 15: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Yeah, it's odd.

message 16: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I'm about to start the second part of the book.
I always felt like there's not as much happening in Frodo's and Sam's storyline. Maybe that's because in part 1 we follow different characters in different places while Frodo and Sam are just wandering around.

message 17: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I'm in chapter 5 of part 2.
(view spoiler)

message 18: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments You guys are fast. I've just finished chapter five of part one. Does anyone else love the poems and songs? Most people I know can't stand them, but they have always been one of my favorite parts.

message 19: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Finished. I liked it a bit less than book 1, as expected, but it was still great.

message 20: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments C.P. wrote: "You guys are fast. I've just finished chapter five of part one. Does anyone else love the poems and songs? Most people I know can't stand them, but they have always been one of my favorite parts."

I grew to like them over the years. I read Lotr for the first time when I was thirteen and I hated the poems back then (especially those of Tom Bombadil 😅) and I always skipped them.
I paid a bit more attention to them on my reread after I had read the Silmarillion because quite a few of them tell/relate to events of the first age.
I think this time was the first time I actually read all of the poems and now I like them but I wouldn't say they are a favorite part of the book for me.

message 21: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments On Sam and Hobbits:
(view spoiler)

Beste | 1163 comments Bea wrote: "C.P. wrote: "You guys are fast. I've just finished chapter five of part one. Does anyone else love the poems and songs? Most people I know can't stand them, but they have always been one of my favo..."

Hahahahhahh same.
I always skipped the songs and poems the first time. Now that I'm more relaxed about the main story I guess, I try to read and find the little details.

message 23: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I think I've finished chapter eight of part one. I'm really enjoying the reread of this. I had forgotten how much I like Aragorn before doing this reread this year.

I read the books for the first time when I was a young teen as well, Bea. I don't know why the poems always appealed to me, I've just always really liked them.

message 24: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments C.P. wrote: "I think I've finished chapter eight of part one. I'm really enjoying the reread of this. I had forgotten how much I like Aragorn before doing this reread this year.

I read the books for the first..."

Hm, do you like poems in general? I'm not really a poetry person...
I always did like the elvish poems, though. I used to learn a bit of elvish a few years ago and tried to recruit my friends at school to learn elvish with me (nobody shared my passion for Middle-Earth, though. They were all busy going crazy over Twilight ^^)

Haha, I'm more of a Faramir girl (but I do like Aragorn too)

message 25: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I love Faramir! He is one of my favorite characters from when I first read these. I haven't gotten to him yet this time around though, so didn't want to talk too much about him.

And yes, I do enjoy poetry. And I think that Tolkien's is really good. But even people I know who like poetry don't tend to like those parts of the books. I kind of wish there were more of that in the movies.

message 26: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I did finish part one of this. Still need to get the rest read. I am already going to say I'm out for Return of the King next month. I know that I either won't be finished with this or won't feel like diving right into the next one. I am really enjoying the reread though.

message 27: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I finally finished this and surprisingly, I preferred part two. I love Faramir, so that might have been why, but I found it more interesting than part one, though I liked the book a lot as a whole.

message 28: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I liked part one more but Faramir is a darling :)
So you're still definitely out for RotK?