Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Fellowship of the Ring [Aug 5, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
August 5th.

message 2: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1613 comments Checking in!

message 3: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments I'm looking forward to this. It's been several years since I read the Lord of the Rings for the last time.
The Fellowship of the Ring was my favorite part back then, I'm curious if this will be the case again this time.

message 4: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Its been ages. I'm in too.

message 5: by clari (new)

clari (claraxhrx) | 1 comments I'm in!

message 6: by Callia (new)

Callia | 2 comments I’m in!

message 7: by Bea (new)

Bea (leore) I’m in!

message 8: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Started reading.
I'd forgotten how funny the hobbits were before all the thriller, adventure and mystery started.

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2263 comments I'm going to try and join in on this buddy read as well ^_^

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

i'm in

message 11: by K L (new)

K L  | 342 comments I have just started this one as I would like to join the buddy read for Assassin's Quest as well. Just into the second chapter.
I think it has been fifteen years or so since I last read this series, if not longer, so it's kind of fun to start again :)

message 12: by K L (new)

K L  | 342 comments Just about to start chapter 4. It's kinda fun to be re-reading this :)

message 13: by K L (new)

K L  | 342 comments Just finished the first part - there was quite a bit I had forgotten. Looking forward to the second half.

message 14: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Started today. I had almost forgotten how cute the first chapter is.

message 15: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Chapter 2
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 305 comments Started today and am midway through Chapter One. I am enjoying the audio. I am remembering it as I listen. I first read it in my late teens. It was my introduction to fantasy, which became my go to genre for several years.

message 17: by K L (new)

K L  | 342 comments Just past the 400 pages mark (view spoiler). I am enjoying it, but I had forgotten how much of it is told by characters talking in the first half the book. I am not the biggest fan of that.

message 18: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments You forget this little details. I'd forgotten many little things with time and also there is the side effect of watching the movie around 100 times:)

message 19: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 305 comments Is this where the heretic pipes up and says I don't recall watching the movie!

message 20: by K L (new)

K L  | 342 comments I just finished this one.
I did enjoy re-reading it and the overarching story I really like, but sometimes the writing just bothered me. Basically half of it I loved and half of it was a bit stale and 'overwritten' for me.

I gave it 3 stars. I will be reading The Two Towers next month :)

message 21: by Loriidae (last edited Aug 07, 2018 04:10AM) (new)

Loriidae | 305 comments Chapter Six (view spoiler) This scene started a love affair with fantasy that lasted 5 or 6 years. Getting back into it 30 years later. :)

message 22: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Finished up to chapter two

And I love the humor the hobbits have in this book and the gifts Bilbo gave to everyone.

message 23: by Loriidae (last edited Aug 08, 2018 03:30AM) (new)

Loriidae | 305 comments Finished Book One: I am enjoying my reread as an audiobook. It is narrated by Rob Inglis. It is rather cute! He sings the Hobbit songs.

message 24: by K L (new)

K L  | 342 comments Loriidae wrote: "Finished Book One: I am enjoying my reread as an audiobook. It is narrated by Rob Inglis. It is rather cute! He sings the Hobbit songs."

That sounds like fun!

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2263 comments I'm slowly making my way through this book, but glad to be joining you all. I've picked it up and put it down so many times in the past I thought it was about time to finish things :) While Tolkein can be a bit overly descriptive at time I love his choice of words. There are so many wonderful quotes and the hobbits are truly wonderful. Samwise Gamgee, oh you are too precious ^^

message 26: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Finished, this was such a delight!

Katie wrote: "I'm slowly making my way through this book, but glad to be joining you all. I've picked it up and put it down so many times in the past I thought it was about time to finish things :) While Tolkein..."

Yes, his descriptions can be a bit tiresome, I was a bit bored by them when I read the book for the first time as well haha.

True, Sam is such a precious baby!

message 27: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) So finished Book 1 (Up to Chapter 12)

There's a couple things I've noticed reading

One: Did not realize that Arwen didn't save Frodo. When I read the part and how an Elf was approaching and the narrator kept calling it a "he" I was like man they will be so SURPRISED!!! Instead I was surprised :( haha. Anyway I appreciate that in the movie they added a strong female character into the story. Because it's filled with too much testosterone.

Two: Ok so we've at this point read half of the book and there's no good female characters yet. Like we get mentions of women that are beautiful and nice to look at but that's it. Everyone else is male. Whether they are evil or good. Unless I am wrong in assuming this.

Three: I really enjoy how this reads like a history for people that would be aware of the existence of Middle Earth as a real thing not as fiction. When he talks about rivers and lakes, he gives their name but also the nicknames and what the locals call them and what Elves would call them and any history that might go along with it. ... if that makes any sense.

message 28: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Yes, the female character department in Tolkien's books is seriously underdeveloped.
There are two female characters in the next books that play a more major role (you will probably already know them when you've seen the movies) but that's about it.
It actually never bothered me that much (in comparison to other fantasy books without a lot of female characters) because I just love the world and the story so much but it would of course have been nice if he had put in a few more girls.

Also agree on the history aspect. I don't know if you know it but Tolkien actually wrote the first stories about the first age of Middle-Earth as an english mythology. It's interesting to know that Tolkien spent decades developing the world that forms the background of the Lord of the Rings and that makes all the worldbuilding details feel so "real" in my opinion.

message 29: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Bea wrote: "Yes, the female character department in Tolkien's books is seriously underdeveloped.
There are two female characters in the next books that play a more major role (you will probably already know th..."

I have read the books before but that was over a decade ago. There's only vague things I remember (like Tom Bombadil and how the ring did not affect him and that Frodo didn't leave quite as fast as they made it out in the movie) but beyond that I mostly remember the movie. Honestly, never bothered me much either because if the story is good you just sort of forget. The only reason I realized it was because Arwen was not in the book yet and then I was like wait ....

I did read The Silmarillion. But I don't remember that one at all. But I didn't realize how much work and effort he put into and or how many books there are. And it makes sense why his world building feels so real and how well it flows together.