The Hopefuls discussion

Journaling

Comments Showing 1-50 of 224 (224 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Finlen I know I answered your last thread first as well so I hope this doesn't come across as creepy but I have actually managed to keep a journal for the past 5 years. it was really hard at first to keep writing but once I got into the habit it felt like a weight was being lifted off me as I wrote. What did to help me keep writing was I thought of all the things I wanted to remember in the day and write them down with as much detail as possible. I hope this helps :)

message 2: by Zahro (new)

Zahro I could never hope to reach five years xD but last year I made a goal to write around a page a year.
And I made myself wrote by having a calendar where I ticked off every day I did write (if you've seen Charlie's don't break the chain?). Ooh! Because sometimes I either wasn't interested in or didn't have much to write about I'd also write about things I found really interesting.
There was about a week when all I'd write/draw were fractals, when I wrote about the Monty Hall paradox and all these other things I found really cool.
So yeah, just write whatever you want, or draw a picture or something and call it your 'journal'.
If you don't want your family to find it then maybe have it online? Or hide the notebook under your bed haha.

message 3: by Milan (new)

Milan (thehopelesspizza) | 17 comments I kept a diary on my computer for about 2 years and this spring I started one in a notebook. I definitely don't write as much as I would like

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin Finlen Definitely agree with hiding it under your bed and writing about the things that interest you! I have one entry that goes on for a good 10 pages about Bonnie and Clyde lol. I wish you luck in your journalling though!

message 5: by Zahro (new)

Zahro Haha congratulations! Here's to many more days.

message 6: by Rikki (new)

Rikki (rikkicaron) | 112 comments This is an interesting thread - I use my journal for when I'm down and need somewhere to write and talk to - so I use it often whenever I want to 'talk' I don't see it as a daily thing, just when I need to and also if something really cool happens but no one to share it with, I write it down for example, my teacher revealed she was in fact adopted and I wrote that down just stuff in general - I hope you enjoy writing its therapeutic as well :)

message 7: by Rikki (new)

Rikki (rikkicaron) | 112 comments Also, I just want to recommend a book to everyone which is solitaire by alice oseman, I read it and it was really good - so check it out if you want to ;)

message 8: by Rikki (new)

Rikki (rikkicaron) | 112 comments Ashley wrote: "Rikki wrote: "This is an interesting thread - I use my journal for when I'm down and need somewhere to write and talk to - so I use it often whenever I want to 'talk' I don't see it as a daily thin..."
Writing helps because you're expressing feelings, it especially helps when you need to let out a feeling but cannot publicly do so, it doesn't replace talking but I feel a lot better letting it out somewhere, glad I could offer insight :)

message 9: by Rikki (new)

Rikki (rikkicaron) | 112 comments Ashley wrote: "Rikki wrote: "Also, I just want to recommend a book to everyone which is solitaire by alice oseman, I read it and it was really good - so check it out if you want to ;)"

And not to worry I have ad..."

Yay!, whenever you do read it let me know how it went :)I met the author and got my copy signed which was so cool :))

message 10: by Darby (new)

Darby | 217 comments So tips for hiding it/keeping up with it
1) don't take it out of your room
2) put it in a drawer near your bed
Or 3) put it in plain sight somewhere near the middle of your book case
4) think about it all day
5) have colorful pens that you use for different days of the week. I'd pick a favorite color and wait all week to use it. No cheating ;)

I've kept one on and off for the past 5 years or so

message 11: by Grace (new)

Grace Smith (gracecsmith) Got some really good ideas from this thread so thanks everyone. I'm the same and have tried probably 5 times in my life to keep a diary but the entries just kept getting shorter then stopped. I am having another go though so hopefully I will be more successful

message 12: by Sally (new)

Sally | 3 comments I've been keeping a journal consistently since last new years. (it was my resolution) I've found it extremely helpful and fun to look back on. I kept one when I was younger (kindergarten-3rd grade!) and its so cool to look back on those entries even though they're hard to read. I think its easiest to keep writing when you write around the same time every day. For me its right when I get in bed at night, I look over and see my journal and write! Best of luck!

message 13: by Catalina (new)

Catalina (catalinaa) | 152 comments Hello :) I've been keeping a journal for just over a year now. I use this app called Day One and it's quite useful because it organizes the entries nicely on a calendar or timeline and, since it's on my phone, I get to take my journal everywhere I go. I also like it because no one can read it unless they know my phone password :)
I started the journal because I wanted to remember what I did each day. I used to write a few words or sentences about my day and that was it, but as time passed I got more and more into it and started writing longer entries that had more detail and were more personal.

Ashley (and everyone else who needs tips to keep going): what motivates me is the fact that in the future I'll be able to look back and see what happened, for instance, a year ago today. It's amazing to look at it now and see how much has changed! In fact a year ago today was the first day after I moved to a different country :D I also like to challenge myself to write every day for a month. Sometimes it's hard but it's possible :) However, you shouldn't be pushing yourself to write when you don't feel like it. I've done that and it ends up feeling like homework, which is not the point of keeping a diary!

Sally and Ashley: I write before going to bed as well and I find it really helpful :)

Erin: wow, 5 years is a lot of time! I hope I can do that! Do you often go back and read what you wrote?

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin Finlen Catalina, I do sometimes. and as I am 24 now and was a sophmore in college when I started the difference between my personality is incredible. Keeping a journal is definitely a good way to look back and see how much you have changed and to see how far you have come on a bad day...mine also tend to make me giggle when I see how silly some of my biggest problems seemed :)

message 15: by Karel (new)

Karel (thisismeonline) I want to star journaling, i'm going through a time with some huge changes (I'm about to start university to do my degree in astrophysics), but i'm going to wait until I go on holiday in about a week because I want a fancy journal from Florida ^^

message 16: by Ella (new)

Ella | 84 comments im going to start journaling again after my holiday next week. this website if full of good ideas to keep motivated with journaling http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/01...

message 17: by Ella (new)

Ella | 84 comments You're welcome, also pintrest have lots of writing/journaling challenges which look good to inspire

message 18: by Rikki (new)

Rikki (rikkicaron) | 112 comments Karel wrote: "I want to star journaling, i'm going through a time with some huge changes (I'm about to start university to do my degree in astrophysics), but i'm going to wait until I go on holiday in about a we..."
wow, astrophysics - good luck! sounds so cool!

message 19: by Rikki (new)

Rikki (rikkicaron) | 112 comments Ashley wrote: "Ahh I am so excited! Journaling is becoming a habit for me now! Every night at like 9 or 10 I just get an itch to write! I have noticed I write long entries which makes me happy, though they take m..."
That's great! Once you start writing, it tends to flow!It really helps and its a great habit :)

message 20: by Ailish (new)

Ailish I'm really bad at writing so was thinking about keeping a journal to improve it (practice makes perfect!!) I was a bit apprehensive about it but some of the tips on here sound really good!!

I kept a diary when I was little, it's soooo embarrassing! I'm really tempted to burn it...

message 21: by Zahro (new)

Zahro Ailish wrote: "I'm really bad at writing so was thinking about keeping a journal to improve it (practice makes perfect!!) I was a bit apprehensive about it but some of the tips on here sound really good!!

I kept..."

Oh I know that feeling perfectly. XD

message 22: by Zahro (new)

Zahro Ailish wrote: "I'm really bad at writing so was thinking about keeping a journal to improve it (practice makes perfect!!) I was a bit apprehensive about it but some of the tips on here sound really good!!

I kept..."

Oh I know that feeling perfectly. XD

message 23: by Halah (new)

Halah Butt (valhalah) | 35 comments I started keeping a journal/diary for awhile when I was seven, then started again at twelve and I've been keeping one since. I used to keep it well organized with the events in order and stuff, but now I write the way my mind is; scattered and all over the place. Recently, journalling/ diary-keeping works as therapy sessions for me.

My advice would be to not give yourself limits. Have an open mind, and don't make it a chore. Don't fret over spelling errors or weirdness, because chances are you most definitely will cringe about it some time later in life. It doesn't matter though, just worry about the now.
Also when it comes to your journal, trust no one.

Yup. Happy writing ^^

message 24: by Ailish (new)

Ailish Ashley: it's currently hidden under my chair cushion which is covered in a scary amount of stuff... Now that you've said it I guess it's not the most sensible idea to permanently destroy it :/ I'll just leave it where it is and scar myself in later life with my younger self's inner rambling...

It's incredibly cringey, I was such a weird kid!

message 25: by Ailish (new)

Ailish I guess deep down we're all weird kids... (I'm such a philosophical beastie :P)

message 26: by Sam (new)

Sam | 6 comments I have an app called 'Flava'. it's pretty good, you can include photos, videos, music, voice recordings, and other things. I've had it for nearly a year. Does anyone go through those phases where you're so committed for a while, but then afterwards you just don't feel like writing anything down for weeks?

message 27: by Catalina (new)

Catalina (catalinaa) | 152 comments [Late replies, sorry]

Ashley wrote: "Catalina wrote: "Hello :) I've been keeping a journal for just over a year now. I use this app called Day One and it's quite useful because it organizes the entries nicely on a calendar or timeline..."

I'm glad you're enjoying writing on your journal and I hope you get to keep it for a long time :D How's it been so far?

Erin wrote: "Catalina, I do sometimes. and as I am 24 now and was a sophmore in college when I started the difference between my personality is incredible. Keeping a journal is definitely a good way to look bac..."

Ahh I can imagine how different everything might be now. I hope I can get mine going for as long as you have. I'm noticing so many changes when I go back and it has only been a year... Five years must be incredible to look back on. I feel so motivated to write right now!

Sam wrote: "Does anyone go through those phases where you're so committed for a while, but then afterwards you just don't feel like writing anything down for weeks? "

Yes!! There are some months where I've written something every single day and others where I just have a few short entries. I agree with Ashley, I think it's normal for some of us. :)

message 28: by Catalina (new)

Catalina (catalinaa) | 152 comments Ashley wrote: "Catalina wrote: "[Late replies, sorry]

Ashley wrote: "Catalina wrote: "Hello :) I've been keeping a journal for just over a year now. I use this app called Day One and it's quite useful because it..."

Taping things on the journal sounds like a god idea :) I'm considering switching to a physical instead of a digital journal because I keep so much useless stuff (tickets, receipts, clothing tags, candy wrappers) that I could tape on a journal instead of having them lying around...
And congratulations on being able to keep a journal! I hope you keep it for many years :D

I like the idea of getting your friends involved as well. I think it would be great to have not only your entries but messages from your friends to look back on, especially when you're feeling low :) I don't think you'll weird them out at all! If one of my friends were to ask me to write something on her journal I'd gladly do it.

message 29: by Ailish (new)

Ailish I never thought about taping useless stuff in!! I keep EVERYTHING, this would be such a cool place to put it!! Such good inspiration on here xx

Catalina: so glad I'm not the only one who keeps clothing tags!! I have a whole bag of them o_o, most of them are ones that were a bit different, like I have a slush puppy tag off some pj's!!

message 30: by Ailish (new)

Ailish I've started writing in an old notepad but I'm going to transfer it to a nice one later!

Im also going to get some stickers! I used to love covering my old diaries in them!! I'm basically 16 going on 6 :P

message 31: by Ella (new)

Ella | 84 comments I brought a journal for £10 from Papercase (I know its expensive and I don't really know why I spent so much money on it but oh well!) whilst on holiday and I have begun a 30 Day Writing challenge. I found a few different ones online than adapted it to things that I want to write about, rather than having to write about things that don't interest me. Also Im not going to make myself do them in any specific order so I can choose on the day what I feel like writing about and if I want to write more than one challenge a day I can :)

message 32: by Ailish (new)

Ailish I've started it mainly because like Karel some big things have happened recently, I had my first interview, got my first job (wooohh!!), I'm getting my gcse results soon, doing a levels. I want to remember It all as it happens xx :)

message 33: by Ailish (new)

Ailish Found this video about journaling, it has some cool phycological reasons to keep a journal, it also said about recording things your grateful for which I thought was a good idea! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=osX0lNALZVs

message 34: by Ailish (new)

Ailish Another video, this lady has 7 years worth of journals and some more ideas http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn_H5XZYYQ8

message 35: by Ailish (new)

Ailish Ashley: I'm really glad you made the discussion!! It inspired me to do something I've been umming and aaahhing about for ages.

I'm not sure :/ try google!! I always used to like the purple plum (I think that's what there called!!) company's stickers, they were so shiny!! I had some scooby doo ones somewhere too

message 36: by Ailish (new)

Ailish Thank you!!

You do GCSE's in year 10 and 11 (so when your 15/16) if that helps xx it's only stressful because you have a bunch of exams in the space of a few weeks and there's a lot of pressure to do well because there your basic qualifications in England xx

Your welcome xx

A Scooby doo classroom would be like heaven!! That's so cool!! I want one!! :( xx Scooby doo was my favourite show when I was younger!

message 37: by Catalina (new)

Catalina (catalinaa) | 152 comments Ailish wrote: "I never thought about taping useless stuff in!! I keep EVERYTHING, this would be such a cool place to put it!! Such good inspiration on here xx

Catalina: so glad I'm not the only one who keeps clo..."

*High fives* I keep the nice clothing tags too! Although lately I've been keeping all of them, oops!
I love stickers! They make everything look so happy and colourful. I used to collect them when I was younger :D Also congrats on getting a job and good luck with your exams :)
Thanks for sharing the videos too! It would be really cool to own a box full of journals like the lady in the video did. I hope I do someday :D The video about the psychology behind keeping a journal was so interesting as well. I'd never thought about journaling in such detail :)

message 38: by Ailish (new)

Ailish Ashley: thanks, I did my best, that's all I can do xx

TSHIRTS!! I'm so jealous!!

message 39: by Ailish (new)

Ailish *returns high five* I don't know why but I don't like to bin things and that extends to clothing tags, I'm basically a hoarder!!

Stickers do make things less boring and more bright and colourful!! I used to collect them too!! I still have some of the leftover ones, I made a pouch out of the packaging some stickers came in (the ones on like a notepad type thing with pages of them)

Thank you xx :)

I'd love to have a box of journals too, something to work towards I guess!

message 40: by Catalina (last edited Aug 18, 2014 12:46PM) (new)

Catalina (catalinaa) | 152 comments Ashley wrote: "Ailish wrote: "I never thought about taping useless stuff in!! I keep EVERYTHING, this would be such a cool place to put it!! Such good inspiration on here xx

Catalina: so glad I'm not the only on..."

This discussion does inspire me a lot! Thanks for creating it! I used to think I was the only person to keep a journal and it makes me so happy to see that other people do too. It makes me feel more comfortable about it, I guess, if that makes sense.

A Scooby Doo classroom would be so funny! I used to love Scooby Doo when I was little. I particularly liked Velma, haha.

I have a friend who lives in Mexico and told me she's taking SAT exams, which apparently are exams from the US. Maybe those are the equivalents to GCSEs? I'm not familiar with neither British nor American schooling systems so I can't really assure this :P

message 41: by Catalina (new)

Catalina (catalinaa) | 152 comments Ailish wrote: "*returns high five* I don't know why but I don't like to bin things and that extends to clothing tags, I'm basically a hoarder!!

Stickers do make things less boring and more bright and colourful!!..."

I think I still have my collection somewhere :D I was always too fond of my stickers to stick them somewhere else :P
The box of journals definitely motivates me to write more. We'll get there someday!!

message 42: by Ailish (new)

Ailish There were certain ones that I only used on special occasions (although I'm not sure what an eight year old would could as a special occasion!!). I've just dug them out and had a flick through them, I got them from so many places!! Magazines, calendars, work books, I completely forgot about them all!!

message 43: by Ailish (new)

Ailish A couple are from a DVD case believe it or not :)

message 44: by Catalina (new)

Catalina (catalinaa) | 152 comments Wow! I don't remember a lot about mine. I should look for them sometime. I remember I had ones that had different textures; they were my favourite :3

message 45: by Ailish (new)

Ailish I had some awesome puffy ones but textures sound way cooler!!

message 46: by Ailish (new)

Ailish Ashley: I don't often see stickers anymore, when I was little they were given to me a lot by family and stuff, I'll have to hunt for some!! I forgot how satisfying it was jazzing things up with them!! :')

message 47: by Ailish (new)

Ailish We have asda instead of wal mart (asda is the same company as wal mart) and I'm not really sure if I have a local craft store, I know of some haberdasheries but I don't know of any paper craft shops :/ I'll have a look around :)

message 48: by Ailish (new)

Ailish Ashley: wow I didn't realise haberdashery was only used in England!! It is a pretty cute word :3 it's where you get fabric and buttons and wool and thread from, sewing bits basically :)

We don't have any of those :/ I'm going shopping tomorrow so I'll have a look around :)

message 49: by Ailish (new)

Ailish Thanks anyway xx :)

message 50: by Ailish (new)

Ailish Glad you found it useful xx :) thanks for putting the you tubers, I struggled to find videos on journaling, I watched Cassandra Mae last night, she had a few nice bits of inspiration xx :)

« previous 1 3 4 5