Teen Book Club discussion

Book Recommendations > Book Recomendations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 279 (279 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

olivia (oliviarose_) | 362 comments Mod
This discussion is to recommend books to other members of the group.

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Shu (tamutheshamu) If you’ve seen my profile then you already know I’m a bit LoTR obsessed — so obviously, I’m going to recommend The Fellowship of the Ring, which is the first part in the “trilogy” (technically not a trilogy, but that can be elaborated on later). Anyone else enjoy a bit of high/epic fantasy?

I also have a few classic recommendations (if anyone wants).

However, I do want to ask for dystopian novel recommendations, as I’m trying to convince myself to read more in ya dystopia. Any recs?

message 3: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

tammy wrote: "However, I do want to ask for dystopian novel recommendations, as I’m trying to convince myself to read more in ya dystopia. Any recs? "

Some of my favorites are Freakling, The Forgetting, Insignia (which is technically science fiction but it has many dystopian elements), and Cinder (which also is technically not a dystopian novel but it has many dystopian elements).

Also, when I was checking to see if you had read any of these books, I saw that you read Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451. How did you like those books, because I've been looking to read them.

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Shu (tamutheshamu) I’ll be sure to check those out.

I read Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451 for school, and I really enjoyed Fahrenheit. However, Brave New World was a bit too... disturbing. Maybe it was cause I was in a rush and I didn’t pay a lot of attention to analysis and just focused on plot elements, but it was just incredibly odd at times (even for a classic dystopian). Fahrenheit was a much easier and better read, in my opinion.

message 5: by Bhumika (new)

Bhumika Devkota (devmika) I also read Fahrenheit 451 for school too. It was really good and makes you wonder a little bit about the future.

message 6: by Bhumika (last edited Jun 30, 2018 07:46AM) (new)

Bhumika Devkota (devmika) I just read "This is Not a Test" by Courtney Summers. It takes place during a zombie apocalypse where six students are trapped in their high school. Even though it has zombies, they are just there to frame the story. There wasn't much action and it's not about trying to save the world or trying to find a cure. It is a little bit of a psychological book. I am not that great at summarizing books so here's the GoodReads link: This is Not a Test

Amy (won't be online for a while. sorry to all the groups i'm in!) (mattbatt) | 272 comments Those both sound interacting! I am going to rexcomend One of us is lying for any of those people who are into mystery mirder high school drama kind of books this is the perfect one for you. It is like a version of the breakfast club but with a twist of death.

message 8: by Bhumika (new)

Bhumika Devkota (devmika) ^^ I have been meaning to read that. My friend talked highly of it!

message 9: by Bhumika (new)

Bhumika Devkota (devmika) I also wanted to recommend The Things They Carried. It's an amazing, Vietnam War book. The author himself was in Vietnam but the book is "fictional" (there are discussions about whether it is or not and the author himself in the book paints it that way). It's a collection of stories about Tim (the main character) and his team during their time in Vietnam and after the war. I highly recommend the book but at the same time, it's not meant for everyone. It was also on Amazon's Top 100 Books to Read list.

Amy (won't be online for a while. sorry to all the groups i'm in!) (mattbatt) | 272 comments I might try reading that but I am going to recommend
Simon vs the Homosapien agenda

message 11: by Bhumika (new)

Bhumika Devkota (devmika) The movie Love, Simon is based on that, right?

message 12: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Shu (tamutheshamu) I have yet to see Love, Simon but yeah, it’s based off that book.

message 13: by Bhumika (new)

Bhumika Devkota (devmika) Same. I heard that it's fairly good!

Amy (won't be online for a while. sorry to all the groups i'm in!) (mattbatt) | 272 comments I just got the Book today and am already glad way though it. IT IS SI ROMAYINC ITS MY PERFECT HOPLESS ROMATIC BOOK!!! It is now my second favourite bookkkk!!!!! I am watching the movie with my mom after I am done the book and hopefully going to convince her to watch the kissing booth with me too. Even though I have already watched it twice with out her knowing because I streamed it in a site and not on Netflix! It gets me every time though!! Do hiding that won't be a problem!!!!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a huge fan of the Raven Cycle series . It's a fantasy novel series about spirits and psychics and I'm so obsessed! I don't know if that floats anyone's boat, but if you're interested in fantasy I strongly recommend it.

message 17: by Kelly Brigid ♡ (new)

Kelly Brigid ♡ (anotherbookinthewall) | 3 comments I just recently finished Save the Date by Morgan Matson, and thought it was such a cute contemporary novel! Perfect for the summer! :)

message 18: by Grace (new)

Grace (thegoldfishwholived) I just finished reading Everything, Everything and it was a good romance. The ending was kinda disappointing tbh but it was happy at the same time. But anyways I recommend because it was still a good read.

message 19: by Grace (new)

Grace (thegoldfishwholived) Also the ‘I am Number Four’ series is really good! There is a little bit of swearing if that bugs anyone but I still recommend. It’s a good sci-fi!

message 20: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

Goldfish wrote: "I just finished reading Everything, Everything and it was a good romance. The ending was kinda disappointing tbh but it was happy at the same time. But anyways I recommend because it was still a go..."

I liked Everything, Everything too. I wish there was some kind of epilogue or something to show what happens at the end though.

Amy (won't be online for a while. sorry to all the groups i'm in!) (mattbatt) | 272 comments I thought they did great in the movie for everything everything and I agree about the end

message 22: by R (new)

R (flipping_pages) | 92 comments Goldfish wrote: "Also the ‘I am Number Four’ series is really good! There is a little bit of swearing if that bugs anyone but I still recommend. It’s a good sci-fi!"

How bad is the swearing?

message 23: by Grace (new)

Grace (thegoldfishwholived) They swear more frequently as you get farther in the series. They meet new characters who swear more than others. They say the a,da,h words most often.

message 24: by Debbie (last edited Jul 13, 2018 09:23AM) (new)

Debbie (debbie_sf) I kind of have some strange taste in books, so my recs might not really be for everyone, but nonetheless I love these books and I must mention them <3
1. Goodnight, Boy
Really interesting read. The style of writing is unique, as it's written as if you're the dog that this boy is talking to. The premise is that you and the boy did something very bad, and now you're locked in the kennel.
2. Falling Kingdoms
This is a pretty stable fantasy with a lot of good twists and turns. You follow four teenagers, three of which are royalty, and one who is a member of a poor and opressed kingdom. I don't want to give away too much, but there's a whole lot of fantasy elements and also good character development. I recommend that if you're looking for a lesser known fantasy.
3. The Princess Saves Herself in This One
This is a modern petry book, just so you know. However, I found that it was a nice read, and some of the poems really hit close to home. It follows the story of a young adult not only reflecting on her abusive childhood, but also going through loss and heartbreak in her current life. It's a little overly feminist at points, but other than that I recommend it.
4. Shanghai Girls
Okay, this read is a little slow. However, it's truly a historical fiction about the power of family. Two sisters are sold as wives across the sea after their father loses his fortune. It follows their struggle to safely arrive, find love with an unexpected partner, adjust to their new foreign life, and ultimately find love and acceptance.
5. Unwind
MY FAVORITE DYSTOPIAN. YES. The premise is basically that after a war, unwinding children between 13-18 is legal. Basically you remove their organs and body parts and sell them..Yeah. Despite this slightly disturbing part of the book, the character development is great and the story has so many amazing moments. If you can stomach a bit of gore (it's truly not that graphic) I really recommend this.

(I might add more later)

message 25: by R (new)

R (flipping_pages) | 92 comments Goldfish wrote: "They swear more frequently as you get farther in the series. They meet new characters who swear more than others. They say the a,da,h words most often."

F-bombs?

message 26: by Grace (new)

Grace (thegoldfishwholived) No. I don’t remember them ever dropping f-bombs. 😂 sorry that’s just funny to me

message 27: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (puffyliquid) | 128 comments Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is a really good series!

message 28: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbie_sf) Hello :)
For anyone who's familiar with Marie Lu, are there any books in particular that you would recommend by her? I recently read Batman: Nightwalker and fell in love with her writing style. I'm hoping to pick up more books by this author.

message 29: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Shu (tamutheshamu) The Legend series and the Young Elites series, oh my goodness I love Marie Lu.

Amy (won't be online for a while. sorry to all the groups i'm in!) (mattbatt) | 272 comments Almost all ya books do.
But they have a great story in them

message 31: by Denisse (new)

Denisse | 20 comments Im not sure if someone has said this book but Vicious by V.E Schwab, its a very well known book and its honestly good, and that is coming from someone who doesnt have a background of much reading! if you havent checked it out already please check the book out you wont regret it

message 32: by Grace (new)

Grace (thegoldfishwholived) I will sure to check out Vicious!

Manatee_WoohBooks I’m trying to read less distopian (spelling?) books so does anyone have any recommendations? I prefer stuff with action in it :)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Dystopian. You've read divergent, another series is delirium by Lauren oliverr

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry
Lauren Oliver I meant

message 37: by nicolette (new)

nicolette (nikkisreading) I just recently finished the book They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera and I found it amazing. It focuses mainly on friendship (trust me it's not actually that cheesy type of "oh the power of friendship!" you are thinking about) but it also includes LGBT characters and it is just amazing. It can be a bit of a slow read at times but I honestly finished it really fast. The book also includes the povs of other characters, and it's very interesting to see how the people all run into each other and connect together. You know, just go check it out lol

message 38: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 34 comments Can you get it in apple?

Amy (won't be online for a while. sorry to all the groups i'm in!) (mattbatt) | 272 comments I totally agree with Rebekah I recommend Harry Potter, maze runner, hunger games, one of us is lying, and Simon vs the homocepian agenda!!!

message 40: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) I agree with Amy. I shall recommend you: Digital Media and Communication

message 42: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) Your welcome.

message 44: by Steve (last edited Sep 02, 2018 03:30AM) (new)

Steve Fincher | 1 comments these are what books I recommend, I am nearly 14 so my taste is for younger peeps of this group
1. Archie Wilson & the BEASTS of Loch Ness, one of my fav books ever. Archie Wilson & The Beasts of Loch Ness (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper

2. Alex Rider series. Stormbreaker (Alex Rider, #1) by Anthony Horowitz
3. Harry Potter series Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling
4. Jason Steed series Fledgling (Jason Steed, #1) by Mark A. Cooper
5. Eragon series Eragon, Eldest & Brisingr (Inheritance, #1-3) by Christopher Paolini

thank you for reading my recommendation post here. :)

message 45: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (londin) | 13 comments I just finished Heartless and The Lunar Chronicles both by Marissa Meyer and LOVED them! I don't know what to read next though. Any recommendations?

message 46: by Empress X (new)

Empress X (ladywhospeaksinpoetry) | 535 comments Maybe Renegades xD

I LIVED HEARTLESS AND TLC TOO!

message 47: by Katrina (last edited Oct 02, 2018 12:30PM) (new)

Katrina (londin) | 13 comments Thanks! I've heard of Renegades but forgot to read it!

message 48: by Empress X (new)

Empress X (ladywhospeaksinpoetry) | 535 comments I’m on chapter 10I LOVE it.

message 49: by Lavender (new)

Lavender I love fairy tale retellings, so I have to recommend Girls made of snow and glass.

I would also love to recommend Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children series. the hunger game.

The author I want to recommend is Erin Hunter

message 50: by Empress X (new)

Empress X (ladywhospeaksinpoetry) | 535 comments Marissa Meyer does alot a fairytale retellings. You should check her out.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6