Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Saint's Blood (Greatcoats, #3)
This topic is about Saint's Blood
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Saint's Blood [July 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4607 comments Mod
July 1st.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments spot

Bill | 2150 comments I forgot to download the audiobook before I left the house. Going to start when I get home tonight.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I will start tomorrow Bill as I am still finishing the House of Chains.

Bill | 2150 comments So I’m about a third of the way into the book and not really enjoying it much. It has less to do with the content and more to do with how it’s presented. I don’t think I like Falcio all that much. Usually I love characters who are all about honor but he just talks way too much. He constantly has to explain every single situation down to the most minor detail. I also have a hard time getting in to the fight scenes because he has to explain every single swing of the sword.

Bill | 2150 comments Chapter 61 (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Bill, I hate Falcio! I never liked him to begin with but in the second book, his character development was just awful. What you write worries me greatly.

Bill | 2150 comments It got better in the second half. I still didn’t like Falcio but the supporting cast made up for it more.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Yeah, well it's my post-Malazan book, and this never bodes well for regular fantasy, does it? :D

message 10: by Bill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Nope. Bound to be a let down.

message 11: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Falcio is driving me crazy. I really need to take a break every couple of chapters or so.

message 12: by Bill (last edited Jul 06, 2018 06:51AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Yeah really wish this series had a different MC. I just pushed through.

message 13: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I am struggling i admit. I think he wants to do something with Falcio after basically setting him as an ultimate paragon in two previous books but the way he does it makes my gums bleed.

message 14: by Bill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I think the series would be much better if it was in third person.

I'm really sick of hearing about his wife and the king too. it seems like each book has got him to the point where he can move on from it then he just drags them back in the next one.

I have a hard time seeing Falcio as a leader of men too. I get it when he is with Brast and Kest but he doesn't seem to really get along with anyone else. I understand he is a good tactician but that doesn't necessarily equate to being charismatic enough to get people to follow you.

message 15: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments You are so right Bill. I couldn't put my finger on it before but this is precisely why he goes around repeating every single sentence his title. He is a very bad leader so the power of the office is needed. Otherwise, not much is there.

I just hate how unstable and silly Falcio is.

And then, there is this one thing with saints I don't get (maybe I forgot from the previous book): Once the saint is no more, doesn't the sainthood jump to the second best person? Is this not how Kest lost his sainthood and how the holy whore gained it? (view spoiler)

message 16: by Bill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I think Kest lost his sainthood because Falcio “defeated him”. Even after finishing the book I’m not completely sure how it works for other saints. It’s definitely explored and explained later in the book.

message 17: by Bill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Do you think you will read the 4th book?

message 18: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Yes. I reached the convoluted theological stuff later. What a mess. I needed to laugh out loud. Of course, I will continue Bill. I'd hate to miss a great chance for another scathing one-star review. :D The question is: are you up to buddy-rant? :)

message 19: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Bill wrote: "Chapter 61 [spoilers removed]"

He was one of the very few characters that didn't annoy me.

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
LOL @ buddy-rant.

message 21: by Bill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Lol I’m definitely in for buddy ranting it. When do you want to schedule it? Have to check the buddy invite thread but think it was Veronica who said she was going to join in.

message 22: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I don't rather be done sooner than later. Can be next month if you want.

message 23: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments And yay for buddy ranting together! :))

message 24: by Bill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Mayim wrote: "I don't rather be done sooner than later. Can be next month if you want."

I’m getting it from hoopla so it’s available whenever we decide to do it. Honestly I would rather just get it over with. I feel like if I leave it too long I won’t get back to it.

Also I dropped my rating down to 2 stars. The more I think about it the more it bothers me.

message 25: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Ok only Veronica is on holidays now and when she's back she still has the House of Chains as far as I know. Maybe we can wait for her before establishing the date? I'll adjust anyway.

message 26: by Bill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Works for me.