Young Adult Book Club discussion

Monthly Book Haul > August Book Haul

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Connie, The Dysfunctional One (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 232 comments Mod
Hello, everyone! Share what books you've bought, received, and/or borrowed this month!

message 2: by Connie, The Dysfunctional One (new)

Recently ordered: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1) by Mary E. Pearson Four A Divergent Story Collection (Divergent, #0.1 - 0.4) by Veronica Roth Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

message 3: by Kasey (new)

Kasey (kaseykinz8) | 18 comments Have you read the "four" book yet? If so, did you like it? I'm debating on whether or not to buy it (hard back) right now or if I should just wait for it to come out on paper back .

message 4: by Connie, The Dysfunctional One (new)

Kasey wrote: "Have you read the "four" book yet? If so, did you like it? I'm debating on whether or not to buy it (hard back) right now or if I should just wait for it to come out on paper back ."

Unfortunately I haven't read it; the book hasn't arrived in the mail yet! It has a 4.39 average on Goodreads though, which is a good sign. A lot of my Goodreads friends have either rated it 4 or 5 stars. And from the three books Roth has already put out, she's shown that she's a great writer, so I have high hopes.

Check back in a week or so and I'll definitely tell you my thoughts ;)

message 5: by Kasey (new)

Kasey (kaseykinz8) | 18 comments I saw that the ratings were good! I'll definitely check back to hear your opinions on it! I went a little book crazy this weekend so it'll be a while before I get to reading that one anyways so I'll probably just wait until it comes out on paperback. There's this place in my city that does a monthly book exchange and literally everything there is a dollar. I got a ton of cool books and I really didn't even spend that much. If you're ever in North Carolina, try to find a place that does dollar book exchanges. They're the best!

message 6: by Zalak (new)

Zalak Modi | 35 comments It was surprisingly very great. After reading allegiant, i was very conflicted if i should read this book. But in the first story, I was hooked. I found out so much more about four and his abusive past. Also, in the other stories, you get to meet Eric, who is the character who I hate deeply. If you have loved Divergent, it has the same feel. Pick it up

message 7: by Connie, The Dysfunctional One (new)

@Zalak thanks for the comments! :) I totally agree, I loved finding out more about Four and his past.

@Kasey I just finished the book, and it was great! It brought me right back to the excitement of reading Divergent for the first time. Four's narration is definitely distinctive in this book, unlike in Allegiant. I'd recommend you to read it!

message 8: by Kasey (new)

Kasey (kaseykinz8) | 18 comments I'll definitely buy it then! Veronica Roth never really goes in depth into Four's abusive past so I'm really excited to read about it! I'll definitely order it on amazon. Right now I'm in the middle of city of glass in the mortal instruments series. Oh my goodness it is such a good book! I really really really want Jace and Clary to be together.

message 9: by Kasey (new)

Kasey (kaseykinz8) | 18 comments Alright August book haul. I purchased quite a few books already this month at my town's dollar book exchange (a warehouse full of books everything sold at only $1) So far this month I bought:
-A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett (is this any good? I saw the movie a long time ago)
-Look at Me by Jennifer Egan
-Diary by Chuck Palahniuk
-The Host by Stephanie Myer (I never read the Twilight Saga, is this one any good?)
-The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano
-I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (I plan on reading this one soon. Zusak wrote The Book Thief, which is amazing so I have high hopes for this book.)

message 10: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (ailicek) I have ordered some books, I didn't want to buy the first book of trilogies but I couldn't resist, they were cheap and gorgeous
Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

So now I'm waiting like
description

message 11: by Connie, The Dysfunctional One (new)

Cecilia wrote: "I have ordered some books, I didn't want to buy the first book of trilogies but I couldn't resist, they were cheap and gorgeous
Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins [bookcover:Legend|1575..."

Oh my gosh, fantastic haul <33 The Legend trilogy is probably my favorite dystopia (seriously, it is so. Good. *fangirls*) and Fangirl is an awesome contemporary. Tell me how you like Anna and the French Kiss, I've heard a lot about it :)

message 12: by Kasey (new)

Kasey (kaseykinz8) | 18 comments Alright so I splurged and bought a few more books. I bought Legend by Marie Lu, Eleanor and park by Rainbow Rowell and I also bought City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (I'm reading city of glass right now as we speak and omg I am totally in love with this book series.)

message 13: by Connie, The Dysfunctional One (new)

Kasey wrote: "Alright so I splurged and bought a few more books. I bought Legend by Marie Lu, Eleanor and park by Rainbow Rowell and I also bought City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (I'm reading city of glass righ..."

Awesome buys, Kasey! <3 Legend is probably my favorite dystopia (as I said above haha), Eleanor & Park is a fabulous contemporary romance, and I love TMI, obviously ;) I hope you enjoy ^_^