What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Looking for hilarious historical romances

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyndol (new)

Lyndol Burns Parrish (dixiebelle72) | 34 comments The last few days I've been trying to find hilarious historical romances preferably set in England or Scotland. I've tried a few from top 10 to top 100 funniest lists but it seems most that people recommend just has a quirky character in them and are not overall funny novels. Looking for good historical romances that will literally have you laughing out loud. Thank you for any suggestions :)

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6965 comments Mod
Did you check out Georgette Heyer? Her novels are always amusing and lighthearted with the MC's not taking themselves too seriously. But I'm not altogether sure that they are what you are looking for. Did you ever read one that you can link so we know what you are looking for?

message 3: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 186 comments Lynsay Sands—

“The Countess”. Her mean husband dies and the mourning period would put a crimp in her style. So, she covers it up.

“Devil of the Highlands”. Scottish romance.

Both of these are ones that I, particularly, remember finding funny, but she has many more historicals if you like her writing. I also read her vampire series and find them funny, so I just like her writing style.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6965 comments Mod
Ebookworm2016 has offered you a good author suggestion Lyndol.

Sandra Hill also does some funny books, you might check her out too. Most of her works are modern, but she does have a few historical romances (mostly Vikings.) She has 2 different Viking series, called, unimaginatively Viking I and Viking II. There is some time travel in the first series, and a LOT of it in the second.

message 5: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments I laughed quite a bit during A Week to Be Wicked. It’s not necessary to read the first book in the series either.

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 323 comments Tracy Cooper-Posey has a humorous historical romance series. First book is Soul of Sin. I wouldn’t say they are hilarious, but the dialogue in all the books is extremely witty and had me laughing out loud.
Mary Balogh I also find humorous.
The Gift by Julie Garwood was really funny, too

message 7: by Karen (last edited Aug 29, 2018 11:26AM) (new)

Karen | 260 comments My favorites are from the Bridgertons series by Julia Quinn starting with The Duke and I. Book #4, Romancing Mister Bridgerton, is a fan favorite but it's better to start with at least book #1 and work up to it.

Also by Julia Quinn and in the same universe as the Bridgerton's series is Just Like Heaven which was pretty funny.

I also enjoyed Tempt Me at Twilight but I didn't like the others from the Hathaway series as much much.

Also, Meg Cabot of The Princess Diaries fame wrote two historicals I thought were hilarious and cute:
Nicola and the Viscount
Victoria and the Rogue

A Matter of Class is a funny book as well with a surprise twist. I listened to the audiobook the second time around. The audiobook was very enjoyable and you pick up on a certain "tone" that you might not have when reading the book.

Covers:
The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4) by Julia Quinn Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1) by Julia Quinn Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Nicola and the Viscount by Meg Cabot Victoria and the Rogue by Meg Cabot A Matter of Class by Mary Balogh

message 8: by Pamela (last edited Aug 30, 2018 04:47PM) (new)

Pamela Love | 1206 comments This is a stretch, because technically it's science fiction involving time travel, but it is very funny, involves a romance, and it's mostly set in Victorian England. To Say Nothing of the Dog, by Connie Willis To Say Nothing of the Dog

message 9: by ✨Skye✨ (new)

✨Skye✨ | 2 comments The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1) by Tessa Dare is hilarious! Don't be fooled by the cheesy cover.

message 10: by Kell I Am (new)

Kell I Am | 187 comments Julie Garwood"s The Gift has already been mentioned, but I also literally laugh out loud at Prince Charming.

message 11: by Hanna (new)

Hanna suwad (hannasuwad) | 27 comments Judith mcnaught books are the best esp. A kingdom of dreams

message 12: by Cycad (new)

Cycad | 114 comments It's fantasy, but Sorcery and Cecelia by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer is very funny.

message 13: by Mikaela (new)

Mikaela | 71 comments I found Brighton Road by Susan Carroll to be surprisingly hilarious (especially at the end)

message 14: by AliciaZA (new)

AliciaZA | 8 comments Lyndsay say sands writes real laugh out loud historical romances like The Chase and The Switch

message 15: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Moore (llamalluv) | 104 comments Pretty much anything by Courtney Milan She writes touching but funny books that don't rely just on the "quirky" character for the comic relief.