Reading Warriors discussion

Neverwhere (London Below, #1)
This topic is about Neverwhere
summer reading > Summer reading 2014: Neverwhere

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SuZanne (last edited Aug 05, 2014 11:01PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

SuZanne | 38 comments Mod
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman is alright if you like this genre. I just could not relate to any of the characters but i stuck it out and finished the book in a three days. Ironically, the last chapter, which is probably considered anti-climatic, was the most visual for me and I could see the characters in the scenes. It will probably become a film and, for once, the film may be better than the book. Some of my goodreads friends rated it much higher than I, so just read the other reviews and decide for yourself if you want to read it. I hope you get hooked as I never really did.
My plot summary: a typical yuppie finds life more interesting with the rats, misfits and paranormal in the sewers beneath London than he does at his corporate gig and with his hen-pecking, affluent girl friend. You can see where this is going a mile a way and it does ultimately go there.

Zyanya Aranda | 1 comments Neverwhere is a book, doubtlessly, for fantasy readers. I believe that the fact that it included too much mystical and magical aspects will make middle-school and very young readers, love it. For instance, the concept of introducing two different worlds in a same setting, made the plot interesting. Neil Gaiman, the author,made a great job including detailed actions, so you can actually picture the scenes in your mind without problem. I, personally, didn't like the book because of the multiple unanswered questions throughout the plot, but if you got imagination, then, go for it!

Juan Iturbide | 1 comments Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman is a great book if you are a fantasy reader. Personally I think that the amount of fantasy was okay, there wasn't too much to make it super unrealistic and there was enough to make it enjoyable. You could easily finish it in two days as I did. The plot was interesting, but at the same time I think it had more potential. Gaiman does a good job at describing what happens, so you can easily picture what is going on. I think that it is a book that many readers will enjoy, and that it won't bore anyone that reads it.

message 4: by Suin (new)

Suin | 1 comments Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman was a book that I would have enjoyed more if I had read it when I was younger, when I was more of a fantasy reader. The story was abundant on fantasy and magical themes that triggered active imagination on the reader, which was a characteristic that I enjoyed. I finished this book in about a week and a half since I had to constantly make an effort to sit down and go through its pages, although once I started reading it I was consumed by the descriptiveness and creativeness of the book.