After-hours Book Club discussion

Brainstorming

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisalab) | 18 comments Mod
Book Suggestions:
We - Yevgeny Zamyatin (haven't read)
Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood (haven't read)
Super Sad True Love Story - Gary Shteyngart (read)
The Fortress of Solitude - Jonathan Lethem (haven't read)
How to Be Useful: A Beginner's Guide to Not Hating Work - Megan Hustad (haven't read)
1491 - Charles C. Mann (read)
High Fidelity - Nick Hornby (read)
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon (read)

Group names:
After-hours Book Club (ABC)
Night Reads

message 2: by Zac (new)

Zac Matthews (zpmatthews) | 11 comments Mod
RE Book Suggestions:
If you're picking this time, maybe we should go with something you haven't read?

RE Group Names:
After-hours Book Club or Night Reads are good picks, but the first one might not make as much sense if the group opens up to the public. no reason why we can't rebrand then, though.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Oh I didn't realize I was picking the next book -I was just throwing out some possible future titles.

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan | 11 comments Mod
What Do We Call It?:
I like ABC. Let's roll with it. I argue that it'll make perfect sense if and when it opens up. I have a fantasy of us partnering with the Economic Alliance and holding a BYO event in business back rooms.

Additional Books I Took Down in My Notes:
Just Kids by Patti Smith
Black Hole by Charles Burns
Blankets by Craig Thompson
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Role Models by John Waters
Tom Perrotta
Readable high-appeal classics ala Wizard of Oz
Dave Eggers
Russians
Young Adult Books (series is OK)
((I'm sure there's a lot more for when we formalize))

Future Discussions:
Next Discussion, Friday, September 12th, my place, Lisa moderates her pick.

I will moderate the next one. I'd be happy with revisiting High Fidelity. And maybe doing it on October 17th.

Members:
Zac will put together a flier for both locations on off-work time, indicating in the flier that it's an after-work gathering, done after-hours. Another reason I like the ABC moniker.
Zac and Lisa will approach certain people they think will really enjoy the discussion. It will be closed to no one, but our discussion choices may make it skew in a 20's-20's direction.

If library staff respond and it gets too big for my house, that'll just be great for morale and we'll find another spot for it.

If it becomes a library program, that's fine. But I'm enjoying what we're doing so far.

Sound OK?

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Sounds great - thanks for pulling all our chatter together.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

PS I love our icon.

message 7: by Zac (new)

Alan--what you've got written here is exactly the way I remember it discussed at our first meeting. Thanks for remembering it all/taking great notes/adding it to the forum.

Lisa--I'm glad you like the icon!

message 8: by Lisa (new)

So I've narrowed down to a couple choices - care to break the tie? These are books I haven't read, but if you have and think they wouldn't work well in a discussion, let me know.

Lathe of Heaven - Ursula K. Le Guin - I've heard great things but don't know much about it.

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote - always been curious about it.

Altered Carbon - Richard K. Morgan - first in a series, but sounds awesome.

I'd pick Altered Carbon if it wasn't for the series thing. Does that put you guys off?

message 9: by Zac (new)

I'd go with The lathe of heaven

message 10: by Zac (new)

I'd go with The Lathe of Heaven, since we have at least two copies at epl. I read the basic plot on Wikipedia, and I think looks awesome, too.

message 11: by Zac (new)

Altered Carbon also looks solid. I'm cool with reading books from a series, as long as they stand up well enough to be read on their own, which I think Altered Carbon would do nicely. I think the details of the plot/setting might have too much in common with Ready Player One to read them back to back, though. Maybe we can hold off and read it later?

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Sounds good to me. I'd be happy to read any of the above. Let's just go with Lathe of Heaven, since we have copies in the system. I also think it's fairly short, which should be appealing.

message 13: by Alan (new)

Alan | 11 comments Mod
Lathe of Heaven works -- I was a huge Earthsea/Leguin fan when I was a dorky fantasy loving youth.

I like the other choices. It's been a while since I read In Cold Blood. Definitely hold onto them for later.

I also love the icon.

I'm having trouble figuring this out. Can we change the page's name...or do we just make a new page?

message 14: by Lisa (new)

I've changed the name - it's in the 'settings' link on the top right of the group's home page.

message 15: by Lisa (last edited Aug 05, 2014 10:39AM) (new)

Should I set up a Facebook group? The name can't be changed on those.

Edit - I lied, it looks like to can change names on FB.

message 16: by Zac (new)

we have a flyer draft!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwx87k0jlki...

message 17: by Lisa (new)

here's the link to the facebook group if you want to include it Here's the link www.facebook.com/groups/261604737380793/

I originally created a page but realized it was a bit too public to be posting home addresses to. We can keep the group semi-private until we want to open things up to public locations.

message 18: by Alan (new)

Alan | 11 comments Mod
Smart, Lisa. Also on changing the name.

Great flier, Zac. I noticed it out of the corner of my eye during last night's festivities. Attractive and nothing that gave this administrator a heart attack. Well done.

I'm glad we're doing this group together. I feel like it's a good combination of skills and personalities.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Yeah I'm really looking forward to growing this group - it's a fun mix.