Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

The Off Season
This topic is about The Off Season
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Off Season > The Off Season - Who's Reading? / Discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (last edited Aug 02, 2014 01:09PM) (new)

Odette | 316 comments Mod
The August 2014 book is The Off Season by Jack Cady.
Who's reading?

Publishers Weekly Review

Melanti | 114 comments Has anyone else started this yet?

I started it this morning and am finding it extremely confusing. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and am still trying to figure out if a plot will make an appearance anytime soon.

It's rather quirky and somewhat whimsical. I'm just trying to figure out if there'll be a point to it eventually.

message 3: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 132 comments Melanti wrote: "Has anyone else started this yet?

I started it this morning and am finding it extremely confusing. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and am still trying to figure out if a plot will make an appea..."

I was hesitating on this and that's why I did not reply until now. My library does not have it and as it is my still waiting for other inter-library loans, so I probably am going to skip it this month.

message 4: by Melanti (last edited Oct 31, 2014 10:42PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Melanti | 114 comments I just finished this one and I guess I should comment that the plot made its appearance just a few pages after I posted my comment. So it does exist after all!

For the book itself - well, it's quirky and whimsical so if you like that sort of thing you will probably like it more than me since I'm not always a fan of funny books.

I had some serious problems with the book. Non-PC is putting it mildly and I really didn't like how lightly the author used a couple of images (child rape and holocaust ovens/gas chambers). It seemed to me that he was using them as if they were just another funny joke - and those things are very rarely funny.

I dunno. Maybe if someone liked funny, whimsical books they wouldn't even notice these issues. I think they might have stood out like a sore thumb for me since I was already annoyed at the book as a whole.

message 5: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 132 comments Melanti wrote: "I just finished this one and I guess I should comment that the plot made its appearance just a few pages after I posted my comment. So it does exist after all!

For the book itself - well, it's ..."

I too am usually not a fan with books that are supposed to be funny. I like it when a book has humorous moments but when the entire book is set up that way I just can't get into it. I felt this way with Coyote Blue. It just seemed to silly to me. It did not help that I had just before read The Grass Dancer which was so powerful.

Reading your comments Melanti confirm that it was better to skip it.

Melanti | 114 comments I still kind of wish a couple other people would have joined in though. I always feel bad about giving a book a poor review when there's not very may other reviews out there to counterbalance my opinion.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.