Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

The Woman in the Window
This topic is about The Woman in the Window
Non-Linda Books of the Month > July '18 Non-LH BOTM - The Woman In The Window

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 1121 comments Mod
Anna Fox lives alone—a recluse in her New York City home, unable to venture outside. She spends her day drinking wine (maybe too much), watching old movies, recalling happier times . . . and spying on her neighbors.

Then the Russells move into the house across the way: a father, a mother, their teenage son. The perfect family. But when Anna, gazing out her window one night, sees something she shouldn’t, her world begins to crumble—and its shocking secrets are laid bare.

What is real? What is imagined? Who is in danger? Who is in control? In this diabolically gripping thriller, no one—and nothing—is what it seems.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) I’m so looking forward to listening to this one.

message 3: by Eve (last edited Jun 29, 2018 03:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I've read it and I really enjoyed it. Might read it again in July if I got time. Its one of those stories you finish and won't forget right away.

“I feel as though I’m falling through my own mind.”

I don't know how about you but I was a little worried by the slow beginning. But please do continue because its just setting the scene and introducting reader to Anna and her life as a recluse. There's something addictive in the writing style. I wanted to find out why Anna acted like this and what happened with her neighbours house.

Those realistic descriptions of the daily life of (view spoiler)

Did you know that A.J. Finn (view spoiler)

And here A. J. Finn talks about THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=govtg...

Marika | 78 comments I just finished it. LOVED IT.

It was hauntingly beautifully written. The last part was absolutely un-put-downable. I love when I can not figure out what's going on and lets say I had serious doubts about Anna. The ending was beautiful. Very good mystery. And luckily not much of blood, gore and torture.

message 5: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments TBH I didn't care for Anna first. I though she was really stupid to mix prescription pills and alcohol. I also had doubts about her reliability and sanity. But when the revelation came...I understood her pain, self-destructive behavior, her self-made prison more clearly. It makes you think how one little decision/act can affect lives of the people you love. Life can be so fragile and you can never turn back the time... I also had to admire Anna's need to help others in similar condition.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“My head was once a filing cabinet. Now it’s a flurry of papers, floating on a draft.”
“If there's one thing I've learned in all my time working with children, if I could whittle those years down to a single revelation, it's this: They are extraordinarily resilient. They can withstand neglect; they can survive abuse; they can endure, even thrive, where adults would collapse like umbrellas.”

message 6: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've started reading this..but even with the very short chapters, it's taking me some time to read it.

message 7: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almost halfway through it...it's finally getting interesting and kind of creepy/spooky!

message 8: by Eve (last edited Aug 08, 2018 09:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Tanvi, its slow building but read on, there will come some surprises that will probably shock you (at least there were things I did not see coming). Despite slow start at one point I just could not read fast enough.

message 9: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finally finished The Woman In The Window a few days back and it took me over 3 hours yesterday to review it...I liked it but the pacing bored me as well as the references to all the black-and-white movies that I didn't get and some twists were kind of predictable, which rarely ever happens to me.
For more of my thoughts, here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 10: by Eve (last edited Aug 16, 2018 08:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I was also lost by all those black-and-white movies :)
I was so shocked when it was revealed that Anna's (view spoiler)

message 11: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments @ Jonetta -- did you manage to read this book?

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Hopefully will start at the end of the week.

message 13: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve wrote: "I was also lost by all those black-and-white movies :)
I was so shocked when it was revealed that Anna's [spoilers removed]"

I sort of predicted that. :)

message 14: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments @Tanvi, then you are more insightful ;)

message 15: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve wrote: "@Tanvi, then you are more insightful ;)"

:) thanks, Eve - it happens very rarely though. Usually, when I'm reading, I'm never theorizing or trying to predict things, just going with the story. I just let it all happen and wow and enchant me.

Marika | 78 comments I too was shocked by that revelation. Didn't see it coming but it was turning point and helped to understand Anne better.
I admit I too did not suspect real culprit. Even though all the hints were there :D
Ivalso agree that the beginning was sloowwww, was ready to give up several times till learned that secret Anne was hiding.