Teen Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month > July Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

olivia (oliviarose_) | 362 comments Mod
Would y’all be interested in doing a book of the month for July?? I’ll put up a poll to see if anyone will want to. This month I’ll chosen the books but I’m the future y’all can give suggestions.

message 2: by aisha (new)

aisha (askmeanything) Yes this sounds very interesting!

message 3: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

I actually decided that if y’all had any suggestions, you can leave them below. However, I’ll be putting the poll up later tonight so you don’t have much time.

message 5: by olivia, The All Mighty (last edited Jun 28, 2018 05:42PM) (new)

I just put up the poll to choose the Book of the Month for July. Make sure you go and vote!

Here are the books to choose from:

message 6: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

The Book of M

Set in a dangerous near future world, The Book of M tells the captivating story of a group of ordinary people caught in an extraordinary catastrophe who risk everything to save the ones they love. It is a sweeping debut that illuminates the power that memories have not only on the heart, but on the world itself.

One afternoon at an outdoor market in India, a man’s shadow disappears—an occurrence science cannot explain. He is only the first. The phenomenon spreads like a plague, and while those afflicted gain a strange new power, it comes at a horrible price: the loss of all their memories.

Ory and his wife Max have escaped the Forgetting so far by hiding in an abandoned hotel deep in the woods. Their new life feels almost normal, until one day Max’s shadow disappears too.

Knowing that the more she forgets, the more dangerous she will become to Ory, Max runs away. But Ory refuses to give up the time they have left together. Desperate to find Max before her memory disappears completely, he follows her trail across a perilous, unrecognizable world, braving the threat of roaming bandits, the call to a new war being waged on the ruins of the capital, and the rise of a sinister cult that worships the shadowless.

As they journey, each searches for answers: for Ory, about love, about survival, about hope; and for Max, about a new force growing in the south that may hold the cure.

message 7: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

I Am Number Four

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books--but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. We have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

message 8: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

All the Light We Cannot See

From the highly acclaimed, multiple award-winning Anthony Doerr, the stunningly beautiful instant New York Times bestseller about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II.

Marie-Laure lives in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where her father works. When she is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure’s reclusive great uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum’s most valuable and dangerous jewel.

In a mining town in Germany, Werner Pfennig, an orphan, grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find that brings them news and stories from places they have never seen or imagined. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments and is enlisted to use his talent to track down the resistance. Deftly interweaving the lives of Marie-Laure and Werner, Doerr illuminates the ways, against all odds, people try to be good to one another.

message 9: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

Artemis

Jazz Bashara is a criminal.

Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent.

Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself—and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first.

message 10: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

Turtles All the Way Down

Sixteen-year-old Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there’s a hundred-thousand-dollar reward at stake and her Best and Most Fearless Friend, Daisy, is eager to investigate. So together, they navigate the short distance and broad divides that separate them from Russell Pickett’s son, Davis. Aza is trying. She is trying to be a good daughter, a good friend, a good student, and maybe even a good detective, while also living within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts. In his long-awaited return,

message 11: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

Also, if you have problems accessing the poll, let me know and I will send you an invite.

message 12: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Shu (tamutheshamu) All these books look great -- excited for the July BOTM!

message 13: by olivia, The All Mighty (last edited Jun 30, 2018 04:59PM) (new)

Do y'all want me to announce the July Book of the Month tomorrow or do you want me to keep the poll up for about a week into July?

message 14: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Shu (tamutheshamu) If it shows a good-ish amount of votes on the poll already, I’d say leave it for a couple days at max.

message 15: by tabascosauce (new)

tabascosauce (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) Announce tomorrow.

message 16: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

And the winner is... 🥁🥁🥁

message 17: by olivia, The All Mighty (last edited Jul 01, 2018 04:52AM) (new)

Artemis by Andy Weir!!!

message 18: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

I just put up a discussion where we can discuss the book once everyone gets their hands on a copy.

message 19: by tabascosauce (new)

tabascosauce (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) Does everyone have to participate? bc I wasn't planning on reading the book but I don't want you to wait forever for me :P

message 20: by olivia, The All Mighty (new)

Of course not! If you want to read it you can read it and if you don’t want to, no problem!

message 21: by tabascosauce (new)

tabascosauce (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) Sweet, thanks! 😊😊

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.