Play Book Tag discussion

2016-19 Activities & Challenges > Decathlon Buddy Read: Wool by Hugh Howey

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by LibraryCin (last edited Jul 03, 2018 09:33PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Hi, I guess someone needed to start a thread!

I'll list everyone who expressed interest (at least so far) in this one. Hope you can all (or as many as possible) join in!

LibraryCin (me)
Cora
Jgrace
Joanne
Robin
Charlotte

message 2: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments I think we have a couple of newer PBT members here, so for those who didn't already know, my name is Cindy and I'm a librarian (hence "LibraryCin"!). :-)

I've been part of PBT since the end of the very first month, so I missed reading for the tag that month, and have only missed reading one other. Sigh - it should have been an easy one, too!

message 3: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments I've never done a "buddy read" before. I see all the other threads say "no spoilers" in the topic heading. Do we need to do that?

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments I read the Wool Omnibus a few months ago. Can't wait to see the discussion.

message 5: by LibraryCin (last edited Jun 28, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments So, is this something like a book club where we post questions? I guess that would have worked better at shelfari with nested threads!

Or, do we just discuss whatever comes to mind (being aware of spoilers...)?

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Library, both. Questions, observations, favorite parts, clarifications. Check-in and impressions as you read. Whatever you want to say about the book as you read.

message 7: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Jason wrote: "Library, both. Questions, observations, favorite parts, clarifications. Check-in and impressions as you read. Whatever you want to say about the book as you read."

Thank you!

message 8: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments Hi!! I'd like to join into the buddy read!! It sounds incredibly interesting and I'm looking for a bunch of fun books to read right now. :)

message 9: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Charlotte wrote: "Hi!! I'd like to join into the buddy read!! It sounds incredibly interesting and I'm looking for a bunch of fun books to read right now. :)"

Yay! Welcome! I havent started yet, but hope to shortly after i return home in a few days. Im currently out of town.

message 10: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1457 comments Thanks for setting up the thread LibraryCin. I wanted to let you know that I am going to be out of town this week so I may be a little quiet depending on my internet access. I hate typing on my phone.

message 11: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments I found the omnibus for free (on loan) on Kindle so I grabbed that edition. What I read is that it was originally published in 5 parts or books that have now been combined into one larger book.

I was able to read the 1st part/book quickly yesterday as it is super short. It definitely has me incredibly intrigued to continue.

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Charlotte, yes, the author self published and serialized the story. It really 1 book released in several parts. When he did it, it was revolutionary for this day in age. At one point he had 4 of the stories on Amazon's top sellers. Now it has become more common and is much more profitable for popular works instead of releasing just 1 book.

message 13: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments I'm on Chapter 3 of Part 2 and have a question/observation:

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Charlotte. It is explained later.

message 15: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Cora wrote: "Thanks for setting up the thread LibraryCin. I wanted to let you know that I am going to be out of town this week so I may be a little quiet depending on my internet access. I hate typing on my phone."

Ha! I'm coming home tomorrow, and except for brief spurts borrowing my parents' laptop, I've mostly been on my tablet - also HATE typing on it! I don't "get" how people manage on their phones!!!

message 16: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Charlotte, I have the book I'm currently reading (hope to finish tomorrow) and one more short book before I start "Wool"! I thought I might, in addition, find some book club discussion type questions, as well! Thanks for starting the actual discussion, in the meantime! Maybe we won't need specific questions!

message 17: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Cora wrote: "Thanks for setting up the thread LibraryCin. I wanted to let you know that I am going to be out of town this week so I may be a little quiet depending on my internet access. I hate typ..."

It doesn't help that the Goodreads app is about the unfriendliest app on the phone. I do ALOT on my phone but almost everything I do on Goodreads I do on the computer.

I'm on Part 3 Chapter 4 now and it's really getting good. I have a few more questions in my mind that I'm going to leave here:
(view spoiler)

It was intimidating because the number of pages (I have to be in the right mood to commit to something over 500 pages haha) but I'm just flying through them. I may have it done by the end of the week. I was in a slump for the month of June and finally finished a couple of my June books earlier this week so finding this buddy read hit at the perfect time for something new!

message 18: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Charlotte wrote: "It doesn't help that the Goodreads app is about the unfriendliest app on the phone...."

Have to admit, even on my tablet, I don't use the app for ANY website, unless I'm forced to! I'm so used to how it looks, and where things are on a regular website on my PC, that I always use it on my tablet, as well, whenever possible!

message 19: by LibraryCin (last edited Jul 04, 2018 07:38PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Charlotte wrote: "It was intimidating because the number of pages (I have to be in the right mood to commit to something over 500 pages haha) but I'm just flying through them. ..."

I was hoping, because it's YA, it might not take too long, despite the number of pages!

I was in a slump for the month of June and finally finished a couple of my June books earlier this week so finding this buddy read hit at the perfect time for something new!

And I'm so glad it's helping you out of your slump!

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments At the bottom of the mobile site you can use full site. It looks the same as on the computer.

message 21: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments Jason wrote: "At the bottom of the mobile site you can use full site. It looks the same as on the computer."

No luck... There is no bottom, it just keeps loading the feed. I googled it and followed their instructions and they say to click the 'hamburger' in the upper left corner of the app and it's the bottom menu option, but I think it's an older version of the app UI because the hamburger is on the bottom right and no menu option for it. No worries... I work on computers for a living and am always near one or two.

message 22: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Oh you have to use the web browser. Go to goodreads.com. It will load a mobile version. At the bottom of there, it will say full site.

message 23: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments Tried on Safari, Chrome, and Edge... for all three it auto-opens the app.

message 24: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Thats weird. Well guess you are stuck to using he computer.

How is Wool going?

message 25: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments Jason wrote: "Thats weird. Well guess you are stuck to using he computer.

How is Wool going?"

Finally got to work on Edge on the third try. Whew!!

I’m a few chapters into Part 4... wow... just enough going on to where I can’t read fast enough to find out what happens next.

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Glad you are enjoying it. I can't even remember why I pick up this book, had never heard of it, but it was good. Keep reading. ;)

message 27: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments Finished!!! Wow!

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Eagerly awaiting review.

message 29: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments I’ll type up a more formal review tomorrow but I absolutely LOVED it! I’m definitely giving it 5 stars. I’m tempted to forego my current reading plans and jump into the next book in the series.

message 30: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Charlotte wrote: "Finished!!! Wow!"

Good for you! And, I've finally started! :-) I can now go back and read a few of the hidden spoilers...

message 31: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Charlotte wrote: "I’ll type up a more formal review tomorrow but I absolutely LOVED it! I’m definitely giving it 5 stars. I’m tempted to forego my current reading plans and jump into the next book in the series."

And, wow! That's great to hear!

message 32: by LibraryCin (last edited Jul 07, 2018 09:24PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Charlotte wrote: "(view spoiler)..."

This is re: Part 1.

I agree! (view spoiler)

message 33: by LibraryCin (last edited Jul 07, 2018 09:24PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Charlotte wrote: "(view spoiler)"

Charlotte's questions re: Part 2, Chapter 3.

Good questions! It didn't bother me, though initially I assumed (view spoiler) Once they got going, though, I didn't really think twice about it.

message 34: by LibraryCin (last edited Jul 07, 2018 09:25PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments I could probably take a peek at further spoilers. I think I've started Part 3, but I don't want to peek too far ahead in case I'm mistaken! I'll come back again as I move forward!

message 35: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Charlotte wrote: "I'm on Part 3 Chapter 4 now and it's really getting good. I have a few more questions in my mind that I'm going to leave here:..."

Oh, yes. (view spoiler)

message 36: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Charlotte's questions re: Part 2, Chapter 3.

Good questions! It didn't bother me, though initially I assumed [spoilers removed] Once they got going, though, ..."

I wish... it was tough for me and about all I could focus on. (view spoiler)

message 37: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments Finally got around to writing my review... I got sucked into another book yesterday and that took priority :)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 38: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Charlotte wrote: "I wish... it was tough for me and about all I could focus on...."

LOL! I'm glad Jason was able to put your mind at rest!

message 39: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Wool / Hugh Howey
3.5 stars

I think it’s hard to give a summary for this one without giving too much away. It starts with Holston, whose wife, 3 years ago, was sent for a “cleaning”. Basically, she was suited up, and sent outside where she was meant to clean the cameras, and she never returns. It seems that anyone breaking the law is sent for a cleaning. There’s much more beyond this, but that’s where I don’t want to start giving things away.

It was good. There was a lot of tech stuff (mostly mechanical) that I wasn’t as interested in. But, it was definitely interesting and it picked up for me a little ways in, with the focus more on Juliette (except the mechanical stuff!). For some reason, I thought this was YA, but it’s not. I think I will continue the series (I read the Omnibus, which collected the 5 short stories, but there are apparently two more books beyond this one).

message 40: by Robin (new)

Robin A I found Wool at a book store and hope to start soon.

message 41: by Robin (new)

Robin A I think I read it somewhere, but how do you hide the spoiler?

message 42: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments If you are on your laptop or not using the mobile view there is a help link for (some html is ok)... the spoiler entry is just a couple from the bottom.

message 43: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Robin wrote: "I found Wool at a book store and hope to start soon."

Hope you like it!

Robin wrote: "I think I read it somewhere, but how do you hide the spoiler?"

If you want to just type it in (I often find this quicker!), you type the word spoiler in between the angled brackets < > where the spoiler starts. At the end of the spoiler, use the angled brackets again and type /spoiler

(view spoiler)

Sorry! If I actually do it, without trying to describe it, it will actually DO it and not show you how I did it!

message 44: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments I've found some discussion questions, as well, I thought I'd add, if anyone wants to comment on them.

However, I think it best not to read through them until you have read the book, so I would suggest there are

possible spoilers

going forward from here in the thread. I could hide all the questions, and maybe I will, but I found it gets difficult to start replying to them when what you are replying to is a spoiler, in addition to your own comment!

message 45: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Discussion questions.
Possible spoilers!!!!

http://www.simonandschuster.com/books...

1. Wool follows several characters over the course of its five sections, with Sheriff Holston, Mayor Jahns, and Juliette playing the largest roles. Who did you sympathize with the most? Who do you feel you resemble most?

2. Although Sheriff Holston is one of the most important characters in the book in terms of story, we don’t spend nearly as much time with him as we do the others. Were there other characters you wished you could have gotten to know better? Why?

3. One of the most exciting things about reading Wool is coming to understand exactly how the Silo operates. Was there a moment when the logic of the Silo’s society clicked for you? What was it? Looking back, were there hints that you missed?

4. Even though the Silo is the only environment the characters have ever known, some of the values of our world seem to linger in the world of Wool, as characters derive status from their proximity to the top of the Silo, complain of the claustrophobic environment, and go to great lengths for a view of the outdoors. Do you think these are reflections of innate human values? Or do you think eventually humans could fully adapt to such an environment?

5. When Jahns is convincing Jules to take up the Sheriff’s badge, Jules claims, “I don’t think you get what a mess we’d be in without these machines.” To which Jahns replies “And I don’t think you get how pointless these machines are going to become without all these people.” (p. 103) How does this conversation reflect the larger problems of the Silo? Are the costs necessary to keep the Silo going worth their impact on the quality of life? How much sacrifice is too much?

6. Why do you think the rules of the Silo are designed the way they are? What are they designed to help, and what are they designed to hinder? What do the rules tell you about the ultimate goal of the Silo?

7. Both Peter Billings and Lukas Kyle struggle with their roles in the Silo, as the story progresses. Although they initially do their best to maintain the status quo, they eventually work against the roles they’ve been chosen for. What do you make of these transitions? What do you think led them to rebel against the system instead of going along with it? Why do you think they went along with it in the first place? Was it merely fear, or something more?

8. Peter realizes that he has a choice between doing what is expected of him and doing what is right. Can you relate this decision to any other situation in the book?

9. Section four of the book “The Unraveling” is full of references to, and epigrams from, Romeo and Juliet (referred to here as The Tragic Historye of Romeus and Juliette). What comparison can you make between the two stories? Why do you think the author chose this story in particular? With so few products of culture permissible in the Silo, why do you think Romeo and Juliet has been allowed to survive?

10. Why do you think the information in the Legacy has to be hidden? Would you hide it, or share it?

11. Because the Legacy is hidden, the residents do not have access to their own history, beyond the myths they are told. The frequent erasures of knowledge banks (as after an uprising) compound this problem. How does this effect the lives of the residents of the Silo? How might an even slightly larger historical understanding change their decisions?

12. Why do you think IT has the power, access, and knowledge that they do? Why not some other department? Why not the Mayor?

13. One of the strengths of Wool is that beyond imagining a new world, it allows us to see our own with new eyes. Do you think Wool has symbolic lessons for our contemporary lives? What aspects of modern society might you perceive differently after reading Wool l?

14. Compare the conversations that Juliette has with Lukas and Peter on pages 531-532 with the conversations that Bernard and Lukas have about the Legacy and the Order. Do you think Juliette’s proposal would work? Or do you think that the darker view of humanity that Bernard represents is more sustainable?

15. Juliette is viewed as a symbol of the uprising. Do you think an uprising would have occurred without her? Who else could have been a figurehead for it?

16. Juliette is an inspirational female character in the novel. What other strong women appear in the story and how do they gain or use their power?

17. Although Wool does answer many of the questions raised in the first few sections, there are many that remain a mystery—what lingering questions do you still have about the world of Wool? What are your speculations about the origins and destiny of the community of the Silo?

18. One of the questions that is never fully answered in the book is the central question of the Silo: Why do those condemned to the outside always (or very-nearly-almost-always) clean the sensors on the cameras? After you’ve shared your own theory with the group, read Hugh Howey’s thoughts from his blog on this idea at www.hughhowey.com/why-do-we-clean/

Enhance Your Book Club

1. The genre of science fiction often focuses on circumstances about the survival of humanity after an apocalypse. Wool is distinctive in its portrayal of the way in which humanity survives when most of the world is uninhabitable. What kinds of strategies have other authors explored, in fiction or nonfiction? Devise your own new method for surviving this kind of apocalyptic scenario. Which strategy do you think would be able to sustain human life the longest? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of your chosen method?

2. In addition to his other books about the world of Wool, Hugh Howey has a number of other books set outside of the Wool universe, including The Molly Fyde Saga, and standalone novels Half Way Home, The Hurricane, and The Plagiarist. Check out one of these other books—how are they similar to Wool? Are there characteristics of Howey’s writing style that you understand better after reading another book? Does it change the way you feel about Wool?

3. The excerpt from the Order on page 387 is from a real-life experiment that tested Realist Conflict Theory and it is implied that those who built the Silo based much of its design on the results of psychological experiments with human subjects. Look into on the Robbers Cave experiment and some other more famous psychological experiments like The Stanford Prison Experiment, the Milgram Experiment and the Third Wave (the links below can get you started). How do you think these could have influenced the rules, regulations, order, design and construction of the Silo? What do these experiments imply about human nature? How is this view of human nature confirmed or negated in the Silo?

message 46: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments Great questions!! I'm reading through and thinking on some of them.

message 47: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Charlotte wrote: "Great questions!! I'm reading through and thinking on some of them."

Yes, I posted them, but still need to read through. :-)

message 48: by Robin (new)

Robin A LibraryCin wrote: "Robin wrote: "I found Wool at a book store and hope to start soon."

Hope you like it!

If you want to just type it in ..."

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Robin (new)

Robin A Robin wrote: "LibraryCin wrote: "Robin wrote: "I found Wool at a book store and hope to start soon."

Hope you like it!

If you want ..."

Cool thanks it worked

message 50: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments I'm going to go ahead and try answering some of these questions. I will still hide any spoilers in my comments here, even though I didn't in the actual questions themselves.

1. I liked Juliette best, but I did like all three of these characters. (view spoiler)

« previous 1