Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Finding the Dream (Dream Trilogy, #3)
This topic is about Finding the Dream
Book Discussions > Finding the Dream (August 2014 Book of the Month)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sheery (wwwgoodreadscomprofilesheery) | 673 comments Mod
Happy August Everyone -

Hopefully everyone has been enjoying the summer. Our group read/discussion this month is the final book in Nora's Dream trilogy Finding the Dream. Join us and let us know what you think of Laura and Michael's story.

Here's the book blurb from GR:

Eighteen-year-old Laura Templeton, daughter of the rich Templeton hoteliers, cherished the ideal of a happy, loving marriage. Twelve years later, her dream shattered by her husband's betrayal, Laura is a divorced mother of two, with little time or inclination for romance.A partner in Pretenses, the glamorous second-hand boutique she runs with her friend Margo and adoptive sister Kate, Laura juggles her days with the skill and precision of a conjurer. Then stormy adventurer Michael Fury returns to Big Sur, California to breed horses, and Laura discovers the first stirrings of a passion that defies her to dream again.

Enjoy the book and come back at your leisure to discuss it with us.

Talya, Jonetta and Sheery

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments I am looking forward to finishing this trilogy! I have a few pesky library books to finish before I dive in but I won't be able to wait too long :)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1227 comments I have great sympathy for Laura. It isn't easy to juggle kids, jobs and the social expectations that come with being a Templeton. Michael is just another complication to her life, but one she really desperately needs.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5743 comments Mod
I really enjoyed this one. I agree, Anita. Laura had a lot on her shoulders.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1227 comments That she did. Unfortunately, for me, her failure to even consider taking time for herself made me feel like she was deep into martyr territory.

message 6: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Levine | 96 comments I have to agree with Anita. Laura's story was my least favorite of the trilogy. I loved her devotion to her daughters, loved her relationship with Margo and Kate, and her devotion to their business and also her devotion to her family's staff in her home, because they, too, were family. But she was so hard to relate to. And, I had a harder time believing it when she finally gave in to her attraction to Michael.

Elena | 101 comments Agreed with Kerri and Anita... I liked this book, but Laura always seemed like a martyr and even a pushover at times.... I was not sure why Laura let Peter STEAL her money and take money away from her daughters, so that now she has to work two jobs and practically neglect herself and her kids... Working is commendable, especially when she comes from a rich family where she doesn't HAVE to work but chooses to (admirable!) - but working days and nights to make ends meet, because you let your husband rob you, makes no sense! She is the only rich woman (term I don't like = WASP) who ended up getting NOTHING from her cheating husband, in fact he took all HER money and she said nothing! She seems a bit pathetic, even though she is constantly described as "strong"... She was definitely hard-working and had tons on her shoulders, but she kept taking more and more on, instead of fighting for her own happiness and her own rights !

Talya | 719 comments Mod
I really am enjoying this re-read. I feel so bad for Laura's character, I had an awesome 30th bday a few years ago, so it's sad that hers didn't seem that special.

Anyways I love Mick Fury (as I've said before, sexiest romance hero name ever, IMO). He is very complex and is a total package, and has overcome a lot.

Her husband Peter is disgusting. I am so glad Josh has got a couple of good digs in. And I'll never quite see one of my favorite songs - Bolero, the same way again :-p

message 9: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Levine | 96 comments It never made sense to me that Laura and her influential family just let Peter walk away with their money and their kids' money. Why was Laura responsible for their tuition, and Peter not require to be paying child support, for example?

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1227 comments In the last book, Laura decided not to go after Peter to preserve his reputation because of the girls. I think Peter was paying child support, but Laura was banking it to replace the kids money he stole. I was so happy when Ali figured it out about Peter. Highlight of the book for me. Of the three books I did like this one best, but I didn't have a very high opinion of the first two. The whole wrong side of the tracks thing for Mick went a little to far, I thought.

Talya | 719 comments Mod
Great points Kerri and Anita. I at first thought Peter did not suffer enough repercussions for his actions, but Laura's priority was not to stick it to him, it was to not drag her girls through the mud. Ali really annoyed me, it was good when she saw the light about her family situation. And I really like how well Mick interacts with the girls.

message 12: by Anita (last edited Aug 05, 2014 11:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1227 comments I found it so sad that Mick thought so little of himself that he was willing to throw away the love of Laura and her wonderful daughters all in the name of Laura's best interest.

I want Laura's daughter, Kayla, to be a heroine in one of Nora Roberts' Romantic Suspense books. I am sure that when she grows up she will be a kick-ass kind of woman and Nora hasn't had one of those in a long time.

Elena | 101 comments Anita wrote: "I found it so sad that Mick thought so little of himself that he was willing to throw away the love of Laura and her wonderful daughters all in the name of Laura's best interest."

my thoughts exactly.... but then in the end it seemed like he overcame this "huge" issue very quickly....

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments I second what others have said about Laura not wanting her daughters to suffer through a horrible divorce with lots of fighting over money. And, while she does have to work hard, it may have been worth the bit of self-respect she internally earned back after having her life shattered by Peter and her own misconceptions.

This was my favorite of the three books. I just loved Kayla and Ali and completely agree with Anita that Kayla should be the heroine of a book! I adored her. Ali was a little harder to adore and I thought she was a little too over the top at times, I do think that it was a pretty accurate portrayal of what a girl of her age would think and feel with her parents going through a divorce.

My official (spoiler free!) review is below:

Finding the Dream (Dream Trilogy #3) by Nora Roberts
4 stars

I have enjoyed rereading this trilogy over the summer. I read it many, many years ago but fell in love with the Monterey Coast and the lovely Margo, Kate, and Laura who are sisters in all but blood.

The third and final installment features Laura Templeton; born into wealth and privilege, she married young the apparent man of her dreams but, ten years later, after two daughters whom she adores and a devastating divorce, Laura realizes that the dreams of her youth are not the dreams she still has. Enter Michael Fury. The name sums up his dangerous air and reckless lifestyle...that is until he returns home to raise horses and finds himself temporarily boarding at Templeton House.

Toss in a missing treasure and the tragic ghost story of Seraphina to underscore the history of the three friends and bond them even closer in adulthood and I am sold.

This trilogy may be closing in on 20 years old, but the relationships are timeless. I love that the three best friends find themselves back in Monterey and start a business together, Pretenses, but I would have really liked more about the shop in this book. The previous two books featured the annual charity auction held at the store and I kind of missed that hokey symmetry with Laura's story.

Now, I just need to figure out what trilogy I want to reread next.... :)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5743 comments Mod
Thanks for that perspective, Nicole!

Talya | 719 comments Mod
Thanks for the review Nicole!

Heather L  (wordtrix) Finished the book on Saturday. I think I liked Michael more than I did Laura, even though I can empathize with her in many ways. It's not easy to ask for or to accept help sometimes, without feeling weak or like a failure. She definitely earns respect for wanting to prove and provide for herself instead of living off family money.