International Book Club discussion

1 view
Paige's Book Progress > Fahrenheit 451

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Paige (iampaigeb) | 700 comments Mod
Introduction

There is not many people who would actually read the author's introduction to the book. Me included. This time I did and I am glad I did. It talked on what kind of book Fahrenheit 451 is and how it came to be. I will make a more detailed post about that part (I may just copy the introduction for you all).

The introduction of Fahrenheit 451 is introducing the 3 different reasons the authors may write about the future. What if, just if, and If this should continue on. The third is always described as Science-Fiction because it is yet to happen and speculative. Fahrenheit 451 is Speculative Fiction and was written way back in 1951. What is sad is that we really have not changed much from 1951, just the technology and so it is very possible yet if we continue on this path of praise technology. Of prefering television and technology over real books. This is a book about books being outlawed and illegal so they must burn. I cannot wait to start it.

message 2: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

So it is a shorter book. No I am not done. I just want to say it sure starts off dark and it is sad how humanity really has not changed since 1951. Ray Bradbury practically describes the world we know to a tee. To a bloody tee. We depend on technology alot. We animate alot. And this book shows it.

It also stsrts off dark and messed up with a drug overdose and Montag's life.

message 3: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

This burns me to the core. Cause someone reads books, has a life, has a mind of his own, he is insane? Are you kidding me? We totally think this of people today. We call people who read books, nerds, smart. Not insane.

Ray Bradbury also brings light on how people are so attached to technology. To television. He calls it the Jokebox. He is not wrong. And this back in 1951. We have not learned. Not once. We are super attached to our phones and television it is nuts. Outrageous really.

message 4: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

WTF?

"Rule 1. answer the alarm quickly.
2. start the fire swiftly.
3.burn everything
4. report back to the firehouse immediately
5. stand alert for other alarms" Fahrenheit 451 everyone

message 5: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

where is clarisse?

message 6: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

30%
The more I read the more I respect Montag. I respect him because he knows his reality is not right. That everything is so messed up. That Clarisse was right and it took him taking a book home to realize this. Not only that, we realize that he actually has a number of books. Hidden from Millie. That Mildred thinks he is whacked out of his mind and insane because he thinks books better than the idiot box. Montag is right though.

message 7: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

End of Two

We learn that Montag cannot shake this feeling he has for books. His wife does not understand him. She says books are not people. That the Wall Family in the parlor are people. When she references family she means people literally on a big screen television. Pretty much. Lady, that is not family, that is not people. Books can be family and can be people.

She tells Montag to get rid of the books. To burn them like how they should be burnt. So Montag grabs a Bilbe and brings it to a professor named Faber who is on his side. Who passionately loves books and will do whatever it takes to save them. Even planting books in the firemens homes to bring down the society structure. He gives Montag a earpiece so he can always listen in and help guide their plan through. Until Montag gets a call his next shift and we learn that this call.........is his own home.

message 8: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

I know that there is a history of Fahrenheit 451 included in my copy but I will be honest, I did not read that part. I will. Someday and make a separate review for it. For now, I am only reviewing the actual story.

I quite enjoyed Fahrenheit 451, even though I was infuriated by it multiple times. I do love that Ray Bradbury wrote this in 1951 and that to this day is still a scorching hot read off the shelves. One thing I did notice is Bradbury noticed the road we were going down back then and to this day, are still on. Many people prefer tv adaptions or kobos rather than real books. They prefer technology over society. I love that this book brings that to light. It has a great meaning that we should cherish what we have, who we got, and what we have to offer to the world. If we don't do that, then what do we have? Nothing. That we won't be happy and everything would be meaningless.

I really love the story of Fahrenheit 451 because it keeps the reader interested and on how it will play out. Yes it may be a short read but definitely an important one. I recommend this to all who loves books and to all who wants to read a Dystopian type of book. Bradbury is the author then for you.