Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > August Contemporary Novel Discussion Topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the place to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our August group read and discussion (beginning August 21.) A contemporary novel would typically have been first published in the 21st century.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. Note that if your nomination is selected by the group, we'll be expecting you to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. We also read one or more short stories every other month; that discussion starts the 11th of alternate months. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that these are nominations for our August discussion topic. Senlin Ascends has already been selected as our July Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Thursday, July 5, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I happen to plan reading New York 2140 at that month for my Hugo reading so....let's do some cli-fi.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 04, 2018 03:35PM) (new)

Randy wrote: "I'll nominate
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman"

Sorry, no horror.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2819 comments I'll give Dragon Champion by E.E. Knight another try since I didn't time it right last time and I was on vacation during the runoff so couldn't add my vote. This time I'll be around :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 05, 2018 06:06PM) (new)

Reminder: Today, Thursday, is the final day to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our August group read and discussion.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

C J Sturgis wrote: "I nominate Resurrection by Arwen Dayton.
Just bought it. Haven't downloaded it yet. ."

Hi, CJ. Welcome to the group. Your profile is private, so I'm not able to message you directly: As a new member with no prior comments in the group, I wanted to make sure you understood that in making a nomination for a group discussion top, you're volunteering that if your nominee is selected, you'll be active in leading the discussion.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our Contemporary Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for July is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice.

Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that work.

Note that these are nominations for our August discussion topic. Senlin Ascends has already been selected as our July Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Thursday, July 12.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 13, 2018 04:39AM) (new)

Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the above nominees with the group, today, Thursday, is the final day to vote for one of our Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our August group read and discussion.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2819 comments Well, at the moment its doesn't need a runoff poll but it does need a tie breaker

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Our selected contemporary scifi novel for discussion in August is...

New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson

The discussion will begin August 21st.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Can't wait to read a 624 page book that will make me feel guilty about recycling.

message 13: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Randy wrote: "Can't wait to read a 624 page book that will make me feel guilty about recycling."

What. Okay now I am more intrigued than ever.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.