Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2019] Suggestions for 3rd Mini-Poll

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 29, 2018 04:56AM) (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process so much in the past three years that we are creating another list for 2019.

How it will work:
The topics for the 2019 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll, which will then add up to the 52 topics (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15-20 suggestions are received+seconded. Then a poll will be opened for voting for one week so you can select your 4 favorite suggestions. This timeframe allows for a completed list in October-November.

Rules:
- One suggestion per poll per user OR one "seconded" per user
- Suggestions close after 20 total seconded suggestions
- The number of seconded suggestions can vary and will be announced in the topic
- If the categories are not balanced at some point, the mods will add rules to encourage variety

A link to the poll will be posted in a new thread as soon as 20 seconded suggestions are received.

Poll Entries:
- A book set by an author from a Mediterranean country or set in a Mediterranean country
- A book by an author best known for writing something else
- A book where the protagonist enters another world
- A book with at least one word in the title that can be found in our group name (scrambled)
- A book written by a woman, or someone who identifies as a woman
- A book with alliteration in the title
- A new to you book by an author you recently "discovered"
- A book that was nominated for or won the Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction
- A book with an ugly cover
- A book with an epigraph
- A New York Times Best Seller
- A book by a transgender author
- A book set in the city, state or area where you grew up
- A book with a number in the title or on the cover
- A book set after a time of war
- A book with a person's name in the title
- A domestic thriller
- A book with a (mostly) black cover
- A book in translation originally written in a language you haven't read a translation from before
- A novel that won or was shortlisted for the Man Booker International Prize

Available to be Seconded:
- A book that features or has in the title an inanimate fixture from a happy childhood (ie toys, games, etc)
- A book about about something ugly — war, fear, hate, famine, disease or cruelty
- A novel that won or was shortlisted for the Man Booker International Prize
- A book with a number in the title or on the cover
- A book with a building on the cover where, "the building", has writing on it

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Are there any parameters that we need to stay within on this poll or are the suggestions open to anything?

message 3: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

They are open to anything :)

message 4: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments A new to you book by an author you recently "discovered".

message 5: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 409 comments A book by an author best known for writing something else.

For instance this could be a non-fiction author writing a novel (or vice versa), a children's author writing an adult book, a series author writing a one-off book or someone known for a particular genre writing in a different vein (eg Agatha Christie didn't just write whodunnits).

message 6: by Ira (new)

Ira | 309 comments A book set by an author from a Mediterranean country or set in a Mediterranean country.

message 7: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments In honor of AtY in 52 books, I suggest we try an AROUND THE YEAR word scramble. Read a book with at least one word in the title that can be found in our group name.

For example:
AROUND THE YEAR: TURN, ROUND, EARN, DARE, YOUR, DEAR, NEAR, TEAR, READ, Etc....

Does that make sense?

message 8: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 119 comments A book where the protagonist enters another world. (Falling through a rabbit hole, parallel universe, going through a wardrobe, went into faerie etc.)

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2484 comments Ira wrote: "A book set by an author from a Mediterranean country or set in a Mediterranean country."

I second this one.

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Joyce wrote: "A book by an author best known for writing something else.

For instance this could be a non-fiction author writing a novel (or vice versa), a children's author writing an adult book, a series auth..."

I second this one. Here are some links I found that might help with a few ideas.

https://ask.metafilter.com/106422/Are...

http://www.readbrightly.com/6-fantast...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/33507/...

https://modernmrsdarcy.com/books-outs...

message 11: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Sheri wrote: "A book where the protagonist enters another world. (Falling through a rabbit hole, parallel universe, going through a wardrobe, went into faerie etc.)"

I second this! Out of curiosity, would "discovering" another world Harry Potter-style also count?

message 12: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments A book that was nominated for or won the Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction

Goodreads list
Official website

message 13: by Peter (new)

Peter | -20 comments A book with alliteration in the title.

Alliteration is defined as the occurrence of the same letter or sound at the beginning of adjacent or closely connected words

message 14: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8324 comments Mod
Kelsey wrote: "Sheri wrote: "A book where the protagonist enters another world. (Falling through a rabbit hole, parallel universe, going through a wardrobe, went into faerie etc.)"

I second this! Out of curiosit..."

I would say yes! Harry very clearly walks through the archway at Diagon Alley into the new world, just the same as the Wardrobe does in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

message 15: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8324 comments Mod
I'll second the AROUND THE YEAR word scramble

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth | 417 comments A book with an epigraph

message 17: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 119 comments Kelsey wrote: "Out of curiosity, would "discovering" another world Harry Potter-style also count?

."

In my mind, yes! I was thinking any sort of "I came from a regular normal world and found myself in a new place with different rules" type situation. Harry had to learn all about the magical world, I think it'd count. Also if some humans left earth and found an alien planet with alien civilization, that'd probably count too.

message 18: by Leonor (new)

Leonor (sumeragi_hokuto) | 24 comments A book written by a woman, or someone who identifies as a woman

message 19: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 265 comments I'll second "A book written by a woman, or someone who identifies as a woman"

message 20: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 943 comments A New York Times Best Seller.

message 21: by Jessica (last edited Jun 28, 2018 09:29AM) (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 187 comments A book that features or has in the title an inanimate fixture from a happy childhood (ie toys, games, etc)

message 22: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments A book about about something ugly — war, fear, hate, famine, disease or cruelty

message 23: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments I'm seconding "A book with alliteration in the title"

message 24: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments Leonor wrote: "A book written by a woman, or someone who identifies as a woman"

Silly question maybe, but what do you mean by the second half? In my understanding, someone who identifies as a thing /is/ that thing, so how is the second half of the sentence different?

message 25: by Mirnaja (new)

Mirnaja | 41 comments I'm seconding the "A book with at least one word in the title that can be found in our group name (scrambled)"

message 26: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2786 comments I second a new to you book by an author you recently discovered.

message 27: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Mirnaja, that has already been seconded. Feel free to suggest or "second" something else.

message 28: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments Alexa wrote: "Leonor wrote: "A book written by a woman, or someone who identifies as a woman"

Silly question maybe, but what do you mean by the second half? In my understanding, someone who identifies as a thin..."

I suspect that it’s a gentle reminder to consider books by trans women as well as ciswomen.

message 29: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1048 comments I second A book that was nominated for or won the Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction

message 30: by Alex (last edited Jun 28, 2018 11:40AM) (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments Chinook wrote: "Alexa wrote: "Leonor wrote: "A book written by a woman, or someone who identifies as a woman"

Silly question maybe, but what do you mean by the second half? In my understanding, someone who identi..."

That's exactly why I asked for clarification. The suggestion that cis people ARE their gender and trans people only "identify" as their gender is kind of offensive.

I'm sure it wasn't /meant/ to be offensive, but in my opinion the wording could be better/the second half of the sentence is redundant.

That being said, I don't want to assume what the original poster meant so I'm still curious to see Leonor's answer.

(Also, now I regret that I already seconded a suggestion because I want to suggest "A book written by a transgender person". Eh, there's always next round.)

message 31: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments Perhaps read a book authored by someone who identifies as a woman - gives the gentle reminder to look beyond just ciswomen as options, doesn’t suggest that there’s women and people who identify as women?

I totally see what you are saying.

message 32: by Katherine (new)

Katherine McKenzie | 36 comments A book with an ugly cover.

message 33: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2023 comments Katherine wrote: "A book with an ugly cover."

I will second this one.

message 34: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 175 comments I'd like to resubmit Manda's idea from the 2nd Mini-Poll : A book set after a time of war.

With dalex' s suggestions :
http://www.historicalnovels.info/
http://www.historicalnovels.info/WWII....

message 35: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 934 comments I’ll go ahead with a book by a transgender author.

message 36: by Elise (new)

Elise (theblackhorizon) Beth wrote: "A book with an epigraph"

I'll second this.

message 37: by Angie (new)

Angie I second a book with an epigraph.

message 38: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Angie, that one has already been seconded. Feel free to suggest or "second" something else.

message 39: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments Chrissy wrote: "I’ll go ahead with a book by a transgender author."

((I already seconded one so let me just unofficially say: bless you))

@Chinook: That does sounds better, and I'm glad we're in agreement!

message 40: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Manda wrote: "A New York Times Best Seller."

For those that might be curious about what fiction books this would include, there is a comprehensive LIST on wikipedia of the number ones for each week, going back to 1931.

message 41: by Ann (new)

Ann S | 618 comments Holy cannoli! I just looked up the word "epigraph" and found 5 definitions. Guess we need to concentrate on one?

message 42: by Amanda (last edited Jun 28, 2018 01:49PM) (new)

Amanda | 64 comments Ann wrote: "Holy cannoli! I just looked up the word "epigraph" and found 5 definitions. Guess we need to concentrate on one?"

I'm thinking for our purposes we'd probably be using this definition (Merriam-Webster):

"a quotation set at the beginning of a literary work or one of its divisions to suggest its theme"

message 43: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Drake | 98 comments I second a New York Times best seller.

message 44: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Drake | 98 comments Suggestion: A book written by an author in your home state

message 45: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2023 comments Nicole it looks like you didn’t notice this rule. ‘One suggestion per poll per user OR one "seconded" per user.’

message 46: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 64 comments A book with a person's name in the title.

Here's a list if you need ideas:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 47: by Matthias (new)

Matthias Stephan | 169 comments A novel that won or was shortlisted for the Man Booker International Prize.

message 48: by Nadja (new)

Nadja A book with a number in the title or on the cover

(cardinal or ordinal: 9/nine or ninth)

- https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

- or maybe read the next graphic novel in a series :D

message 49: by Sara (new)

Sara | 83 comments I'll second "a book by a transgender author"

Lisa (the.running.bookworm) I propose a book set in the city, state or area where you grew up

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.