Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Weekly Checkins > Week 26: 6/22 – 6/28

Comments Showing 1-50 of 237 (237 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Sara (last edited Jun 28, 2018 05:18AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Hello all, we are just days away from the midpoint of the year and the challenge! I am only halfway through the prompts, but I have read almost 50 books this year. I need to start reading things that work for my remaining prompts!

**Admin notes:

The poll winners are as follows:
October (Halloween): Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie
November (death or grief): The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin
December (published in 2018): Circe by Madeline Miller

All monthly reads can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If you are interested in leading discussion on any of these books please contact me or Nadine.

Book finished:

The Secret, Book and Scone Society by Ellery Adams – a really enjoyable cozy mystery that takes place in a small Western North Carolina town where people tend to be drawn when they need healing (physical or emotional). Nora, owner of Miracle Books, has a knack for suggesting books that will help her customers work through whatever is weighing them down. She has her own ghosts to wrestle with, but when a man she meets through a chance encounter turns up dead she joins forces with a few other ladies in town to find out what happened before it’s ruled a suicide. It would work for a book set in a bookstore. I used it as a book given as a gift.

Currently reading:

As often happens to me, I’m struggling to settle on my next read. I have started several books this week, but nothing has really grabbed me yet.

20/40 & 5/10

Question of the week:

Have you ever felt inspired to cook or bake based on the book you are reading (could be an actual recipe in the book or just a dish mentioned in it)? If not, does it sound like something you’d want to do?

This recently came up with some bookish friends. Over the weekend I decided to bake a batch of chocolate chip scones while reading The Secret, Book & Scone Society which was quite fun! I plan to keep an eye out for more opportunities to bake while I read :)

message 2: by Anne (last edited Jun 28, 2018 05:37AM) (new)

Anne Happy Thursday! 43 of 50 down
I completed tore my plantars fascia, so I am forbidden from athletics and stuck on the couch for a month. Guess I better start checking stuff on my too read list!

Completed:
50) Recommendation. Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz seems to have gotten rave reviews from many. And I understand why. Who doesn’t love a book within a book?

17.) Book being read by a stranger in public. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis -- I’ll admit it – I cherry picked one that I wanted to read. I was lucky to finally find someone out with this one, that my friends adored. I can understand why, too! So much of what I see being read in my subdivision pool is a big ole NOPE! That said, Elegy was outstanding – 5 star read!! I love a memoir where someone pulls themselves out of a seemingly terrible or impossible situation.

Another paperback mystery for another challenge – Booked 4 Murder Takes place in Sun City West and I live near enough to a Sun City that it hits really close to home!

Lack of the Irishby the always delightful Ralph McInerny for fun. His series really makes me want to visit Notre Dame (the university).

I Can't Make You Love Me, but I Can Make You Leave by Dixie Cash – summer chick-lit fun

Currently reading:
Life at the Dakota: New York's Most Unusual Addresswas available on Libby, the library app, so I scooped that up. I love reading about the wealthy a century ago!

Starting #42, cyberpunk – Ready Player One. The first chapter was going along swimmingly (who doesn’t love the 80s) until the author veered into atheism, which I find annoying in it’s sudden literary popularity. Since this genre isn’t my thing and it took over a month to arrive from interlibrary loan, I’ll finish it, but I am probably going to hate it.

QOTW - Cook or bake based on a book
This is a great question! I love to cook and regularly make some great meals. I enjoy a good cozy and even found cravings in non-food based books. About 20 years ago, I tried one of the recipes shared in a cozy. I remember that it required Chilean sea bass, which is not an inexpensive protein. And the meal was laborious to prepare. It wasn’t good. I feel like I wasted the $25/ lb on that fish for something that okay, but too much work. Now, I let myself find cravings in books and go to tried and true recipes! I just read a book on Memphis bbq and made my ribs and read The Coincidence of Coconut Cake and want authentic Polish pierogi.

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1254 comments I cannot believe it is still dry and hot here on the south coast of England. It's been weeks without any real rain, everything is so crispy. I've been spending lots of time outside which doesn't automatically correlate with reading time. We built a garden path and went swimming in the sea (it's usually way too cold!) so I haven't really read much.

I finished listening to A Canticle For Leibowitz for a book mentioned in another book (Among Others). Mildly amusing but also turns sadder towards the end. I'm glad I "read" it.

I am very close to finishing The Changeling. I've really enjoyed it, not as weird as many have made out, I'm just reading it in tiny chunks so taking me awhile to get through it.

Starting listening to The Hunger for a novel based on a real person. It's based on the fateful journey of the Donner Party, a group of pioneers heading to California. I hadn't heard of them before but in checking they were real I did see what they resorted to and I think this is written to be a horror take on it.

There are a lot of summer releases I'd like to get to soon so I might have to put the breaks on challenge reading for a few weeks. I don't think many of them can be shoe-horned in! Fingers crossed I'll see at least one of them being read in public...

30/50 | 56/100

QOTW:

I might be reading a book that mentions food and go mmm I could really eat that right now... but it would depend if I had the ingredients already if I would make it. I don't think I've ever purposefully done a themed meal based on a book. I know you can get literary cookbooks now, but I kind of feel they might be a bit gimmicky.

message 4: by El (last edited Jun 28, 2018 05:51AM) (new)

El | 195 comments 47/50

Finished:
Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan for a book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist.

Swami and Friends by R.K. Narayan for a book tied to ancestry.

Mystery by Moonlight by Carolyn Keene for a book with an ugly cover. Mystery by Moonlight (Nancy Drew, #167) by Carolyn Keene

Currently reading:
In Cold Blood

QOTW:
Not yet, I haven't. I've felt like cooking only when reading recipe books, not fiction books.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 722 comments I had a slow reading week, so I have a short check-in today.

Finished
Middlesex (book you borrowed or received as a gift) - I didn't like this book. I almost DNFed it twice. Family sagas are not my cup of tea.

Reading
I'm not sure what I want to read next. Probably something from a trusted author.

QOTW
No, I haven't tried any recipes in books. I don't read a lot of books that have recipes or involve cooking in detail. Even if I did, I'm not too adventurous in the kitchen. It never turns out well for me!

@Anne I don't remember atheism playing a role in Ready Player One. It really is mostly 80's pop culture trivia. I hope you enjoy it after all.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments I'm halfway through so it looks like I'm right on track. How exciting!

This week I finished Middlesex and boy oh boy. What an amazing book. It wasn't what I expected, it was so much better. I can see why this is already being talked about as a modern classic, so glad I read it. This was for the June read and LGBT+ protagonist prompt.

Currently reading:

The Cartel - This is okay so far, a bit of a slow start because it's spent a lot of time recounting the events of the previous book. This is understandable as they were published 10 years apart but annoying for me as I only read The Power of the Dog last week! This will fulfill the villain or anti-hero prompt

The Fishermen - I'm mainly listening to this on audiobook although I do have it on kindle as well. I thought I was going to really like this book as I love all things NIgerian but I can't really get into it so far. The main characters are four brothers and they're really not distinct enough at the moment apart from the oldest one. I don't really know where it's going either so we'll see with this one. This will fulfil the author of a different ethinicity prompt and I'm going to move Purple Hibiscus to the favourite colour prompt because, hey, purple is just as good as green!

QOTW

Well I bought the Game of Thrones cookbook but that was mainly for a party and I've not used it since. I don't really tend to focus on food in books but one that I read recently really bugged me. In The Time Traveler's Wife someone bakes brownies and her friends laugh at how bad a cook she is because the brownies are undercooked. Barring them being not cooked at all, is that possible? Brownies are at their best when they are gooey in the middle. It would have made more sense if she had overcooked/burnt them. Just a silly thing that I noticed.

One more things on the topic of food, but not books. my boyfriend and I are taking the World Cup as an opportunity to eat around the world. Every day we have made a dish from a country who is playing that evening. It has been so fun and has introduced me to lots of yummy foods.

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Jess wrote: "In The Time Traveler's Wife someone bakes brownies and her friends laugh at how bad a cook she is because the brownies are undercooked. Barring them being not cooked at all, is that possible? Brownies are at their best when they are gooey in the middle. It would have made more sense if she had overcooked/burnt them. Just a silly thing that I noticed."

I made a gooey brownie pie for a coworker's birthday once. It had a very soft, gooey center (on purpose). One of the other coworkers refused to eat it because he said it wasn't cooked all the way through. I could not convince him that it was ok! Oh well, more for me!

And yes, the best brownies are slightly underbaked :)

message 8: by Hayjay315 (new)

Hayjay315 | 137 comments Good Morning!

An early check in for me this week as I am not anticipating on completing any books this evening which is usually what happens so I end up doing a late evening post.

I'm excited that Hallowe'en Party won for October as that is already on my list so I can join in on another monthly read this year!

For this week I completed The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame for children's classic you have never read. This was a true delight as the personalities of the tiny creatures were so vivid and the illustrations by Ernest Shepard in both black and while and color enhanced my enjoyment.

Currently Reading:
The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan
Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
To Be or Not To Be: A Chooseable-Path Adventure by Ryan North

QOTW:
While reading both books in Erica Bauermeister's School of Essential Ingredients series the tantalizing descriptions of her recipes have prompted the desire to make something similar immediately.

message 9: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1254 comments Sara wrote: "Jess wrote: "In The Time Traveler's Wife someone bakes brownies and her friends laugh at how bad a cook she is because the brownies are undercooked. Barring them being not cooked at all, is that po..."

Brownies should definitely be under-baked, I hate it when you get one that's dry. It's such a disappointment!

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen | 127 comments This week I finished American Fire for the true crime prompt. My husband and I listened together on audio and really enjoyed this book! He grew up in rural Iowa, and it was fun to see all the cultural similarities. If there's more true crime out there like this, I'd read it.

Currently reading: Blow fly for bestseller in year I graduated high school. I DNFed a couple options afew sentences in, and an pretty dissatisfied with my options. It seems everyone was reading thrillers and bizarre religious books ( Divinchi Code, Left Behind series, 5 people you meet in heaven) none of which I care much for. So I'm determined to finish this one out, but we'll see.

QOTW: I love the descriptions of tea in the indigo teashop series. All the pastries and sandwiches and other tea treats have me craving a good tea, and nearly inspired me to try making something, but the recipes are a bit more complex than my level of cooking. Maybe someday I'll try it out.

I will say, my brother was inspired by the Great British baking show to try some recipes featured on the show, and recruited my help with simple things like cooking nuts. It was really fun to see the cool things we could make!

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments I was most of the way through several books at last week's check-in, and was also sick most of the week, so I have quite a few books on my finished list this week.

Finished Reading:
Captains Courageous I moderately enjoyed this, but I would happily recommend it to any teenage boys who would enjoy a book that's mostly a series of events of guys insulting each other while working really hard, punctuated by boys causing minor mischief. Avoid if graphic descriptions of fish cleaning will bother you (though, as a prior farm girl, I rather liked those parts). Read for book set at sea.

Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma, Vol. 17 & Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma, Vol. 18 Staying a bit darker than the previous series up to book 16, but not quite as bad as it looked like it might be. I'm even more hooked on this series now that the stakes have gone up!

The Walk I really just picked this up because it was a book 'by an author with the same name' that I could easily get a hold of from the library. I wasn't sure if it was going to be super cheesy, but it actually seemed pretty well written, and I think I'm going to try continuing with the series.

The Clay Lion I'm surprised so few people have rated this book on goodreads. I didn't *love* it, but I did enjoy it, and thought it was both original and well written. If you like YA, I'd recommend trying it. I read this for my time travel book. (Side note: Between this and The Walk I read two books in a row about people dealing with the death of someone very close to them. Not a theme I'd intentionally pick to focus in on...)

Wuthering Heights I finally finished this after DNFing it as a teen. I still hate it, but at least I can definitively hate the book now, instead of just the first fourth. You want a story about true love, go watch The Princess Bride--it's much better than this.

Jane of Lantern Hill Yet another book that makes me wonder why Anne is the famous one. I especially recommend this one to people who love the part in The Boxcar Children where Jessie uses the bottle to roll out the pie crust, but there's more going on in the story than just great housekeeping tidbits too.

Currently Reading:
Here's Looking at Euclid: A Surprising Excursion Through the Astonishing World of Math Still working through this one. It's still good.

NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity I only have a couple hours left in this audio book, so hopefully I'll finish it by next week!

Cooking with Scraps: Turn Your Peels, Cores, Rinds, and Stems into Delicious Meals I'm still working on this. Maybe I'll work a little faster once I'm feeling better.

Openness Unhindered: Further Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert on Sexual Identity and Union with Christ I mostly took a break from this one while I wasn't feeling well. (You'll note all my finished books this week are fiction...) Still working on it a little bit, it just needs a little brain power to focus on it.

Jane Eyre I'm treating myself to another re-read of Jane Eyre after forcing myself to finish Wuthering Heights.

QOTW:
When I was a kid I always thought those book themed cookbooks (Nancy Drew, Little House on the Prairie, etc) were really cool. Now I tend to skeptical of the recipe quality in something that's intentionally themed like that, but I still like the idea of making recipes based on books.

I guess I like a challenge, because I keep turning over in my head how to make a potato peel pie, even more so after the author of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society said she doesn't recommend trying. :-)

There's also a LOTR cookbook I keep meaning to look through because it's free to read on Kindle through Amazon Prime. No idea if it's good or just gimmicky, but for LOTR it's worth checking.

message 12: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 418 comments Bonjour,

We will have very hot and humid weather this week-end, around 110 F or 43°C. Good to swim but not to sleep.

I finished one book toward the challenge last week: The Remains of the Day. I loved it. It's not only the story, but the way it's written. I loved also Never Let Me Go so I guess I should read more books by Ishiguro.

I am now reading The Other Boleyn Girl for the based on a actual person prompt and Chagrin d'école recommended by my husband.

QOTW: Last month I read Relish: My Life in the Kitchen and copy the chocolate cookies recipe but I haven't try it yet.

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I finished one and started one.

Finished Faithful Place - using for a country that interests me. I enjoy this series very much!

Started Before I Go to Sleep. I've seen this movie a while ago so I think I know the *Twist* but it fits the bill for the category!

Starting tomorrow I'm on a Stay-cation so *hopefully* I can get more reading in?

21 Regular, 6 Advanced, 5 Non Challenge

message 14: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6889 comments Mod
Raquel wrote: "I was most of the way through several books at last week's check-in, and was also sick most of the week, so I have quite a few books on my finished list this week ..."

Yes, The Princess Bride is about true love, but Wuthering Heights is about an all-consuming passion between two unhinged assholes. Catherine and Heathcliff are awful people. Maybe enjoyment of this book depends on how the reader feels about unlikeable protagonists. I don't always enjoy books with unlikeable people, but I loved WH! It's one of the few books I've re-read several times. Actually it might be the only book I've read more than twice.

message 15: by Elena (last edited Jun 28, 2018 07:04AM) (new)

Elena | 19 comments Good morning everyone

I just realized, that none of my books I read this week, fit any prompts. Popsugar is my first ever reading challenge, (other than just #of books) buts so much fun that I signed up for 3 other challenges since. Uh oh, now it's really gonna be a challenge.

Still at 20/50

Finished this week:
Once Gone
Once Taken both for my "O"-reads in another challenge
The Ice Dragon short little read, just for fun

Currently reading:
The Ocean at the End of the Lane for past GR choice award winner prompt. About 2/3 into the book and really enjoying it
A Storm of Swords not for any challenges, just re-reading the the Song of Ice and Fire series. Maybe by the time I finish, we'll have a publication date for The Winds of Winter

QOTW: No, I haven't tried any novel-recipes. I read lots of horror and murder mysteries, so it would probably not be a good idea anyway. However, my hubby and I have started calling any kind of stew "bowl of brown" (from the series mentioned above). We still use our own recipe, the series mentions pigeons, rats and other mystery-meat. Ugh!

Btw: I absolutely agree: brownies should be gooey! That's the whole purpose of brownies.

message 16: by Nadine in NY (last edited Jun 28, 2018 07:15AM) (new)

Put my vote in for "underbaked brownies are better than overbaked brownies." My daughter is an excellent cook but somehow she always overbakes the brownies. I'm thinking maybe she (gasp) prefers them that way.

We are getting some much-needed rain here in northern NY - so the weather is gloomy, and we got really wet last night working at the rescue stable we volunteer for, but I can't complain because the grass was crispy and yellow in my lawn. (The weather had the horses feeling very frisky, too; leading them back into the barn was challenging!)

This week I read 4 books, 1 for this Challenge, and I am now 44/50. I'm taking these last few books very slowly, so I probably won't finish until September or October.

books I finished:
Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta - meh. This was okay, it didn't really do anything for me. This was one of my Pride Month reads.

What You Want To See by Kristen Lepionka - I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! I am going to read every book Lepionka publishes for the rest of my life. This was also one of my Pride Month reads.

True to You by Jennifer Ryan - my "book being read by a stranger"! I spotted lots of books being read in airports and planes last week, and I was in the mood for something mindless, so I picked this, and maybe I should have picked one of the other books I saw, instead. 1 star.

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis - I confess I didn't actually read every page. Just as well. I don't know what I was thinking. I've read some fucked up books in my time but this was too much for me. 1 star. I was going to use this for "based on a word from your birth year (anti-social personality disorder), but since I skimmed a lot of the book I'm not going to count it - I'm listening to Darkly Dreaming Dexter right now and will use that instead.

QOTW
OMG YES!!! But not often. Actually, I can only think of this one time. This JUST happened to me a few weeks ago when I was reading Raven Black. He kept talking about slicing pieces of the goddamned ginger cake and finally I couldn't take it any more, I found a recipe for ginger cake, modified it for the ingredients I had on hand, and made it. I even included the recipe in my review of the book! I am rarely an impulsive baker like that, but my kids were with their dad that weekend so I had a little extra time. It was a chocolate ginger cake and my kids were really disappointed when they got back, because (a) it had no frosting, and (b) it looked and smelled like chocolate, but tasted of spices, and apparently my heathen children do not like spiced chocolate cake. Hah! Their loss!!

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Nadine wrote: "Raquel wrote: "I was most of the way through several books at last week's check-in, and was also sick most of the week, so I have quite a few books on my finished list this week ..."

Yes, The Pri..."

Interesting! I definitely a prefer a story where I have someone to root for, and when the characters are unlikable (at least, that degree of unlikable), I don't feel that invested in what happens to them. I could root for Catherine a little at the beginning, but then when she started making terrible choices it was like, "I just don't even know any more, you messed it up too badly to fix".

I'm not quite sure how to ask this question, but hopefully it will make some sense: What is the purpose of the story for you if you don't like the characters? What are you rooting for as you read?

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments As we approach the halfway point in the year, I start to get more intentional with reading for the challenge... so I read two and am working on a third this week!

Finished:
Vision in White for my book by a local author. I bought this quartet after really enjoying it and have been meaning to reread so here we are!

This Savage Song for my book about a villain or antihero. Thanks to YA fantasy fans on YouTube, Victoria Schwab has been on my list for awhile and did not disappoint!

Currently reading:
Six of Crows for my book involving a heist (again, thanks YA booktubers)! I'm so engrossed and cannot WAIT to finish this one. And there's a second book!

QOTW: I have definitely made copies of in-book recipes and tried a couple. Jenny Colgan always packs delicious British Isles recipes into a lot of her work.

message 19: by Nadine in NY (new)

Raquel wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Raquel wrote: "I was most of the way through several books at last week's check-in, and was also sick most of the week, so I have quite a few books on my finished list this week ..."..."

LOL good question and I don't know the answer! I like books that interest me / engage me / or are otherwise compelling. USUALLY this synchs with liking the characters, but not always.

message 20: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Jess wrote: "...One more things on the topic of food, but not books. my boyfriend and I are taking the World Cup as an opportunity to eat around the world. Every day we have made a dish from a country who is playing that evening. It has been so fun and has introduced me to lots of yummy foods..."

That is so cool!

message 21: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments Nadine wrote: "Yes, The Princess Bride is about true love, but Wuthering Heights is about an all-consuming passion between two unhinged assholes. Catherine and Heathcliff are awful people. Maybe enjoyment of this book depends on how the reader feels about unlikeable protagonists. I don't always enjoy books with unlikeable people, but I loved WH! It's one of the few books I've re-read several times. Actually it might be the only book I've read more than twice. "

I totally agree. Wuthering Heights isn't a love story. It's more of an early thriller and a cautionary tale about obsession and dysfunctional relationships. I think it's quite ahead of its time in those aspects.

I am quite morbid with those sort of things. Like reality TV where its so uncomfortable but you can't look away.

message 22: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 354 comments Karen wrote: "I love the descriptions of tea in the indigo teashop series. All the pastries and sandwiches and other tea treats have me craving a good tea..."

Which series is that?? never heard of it but you had me at tea and pastries :-)

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 247 comments I’m at 32/50 completed. Nothing read last week that I applied to the challenge unfortunately.

Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship - this was a really good one about how a few divers discovered the wreck of the Golden Fleece, ship of Joseph Bannister. Was trying to fit it somewhere but couldn’t figure out where.

Also completed:
Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Two
Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Three

Some excellent graphic novels with an interesting premise involving gendercide.

QOTW:
Interesting! I’ve actually had this happen a couple times this year.
Yes, Chef. Marcus Samuelsson’s memoir. Picked up his cookbook and made a few recipes. Really good!

Red Sparrow includes recipes at the back of the chapters. Some of them looked good but I haven’t actually made any yet.

message 24: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 273 comments @Nadine - I am going to add What You Want To See to my TBR based on your recommendation! I hadn't heard of that author before this morning, so thank you. :) It looks like it is #2 in a series, though. Did you read the first book?

message 25: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Hi, everyone! I managed to get a lot of reading time this week, so I read three books cover to cover:

Bitter Medicine (not for the challenge) - I love this series! (Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski books) This early volume, written more than 30 years ago, still has a contemporary feel. Warshawski is a woman ahead of her time! Great Chicago local color, too.

The Reluctant Fundamentalist (book mentioned in another book, in this case in An Unnecessary Woman) - This has been on my list for awhile and I'm so glad I finally read it. Written in an unusual and interesting way, all as a one-sided monologue between the narrator and an unnamed foreign stranger (Who is he? What does he want?). I liked it a lot.

Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited (a book with characters who are twins) - Someone mentioned this in a discussion post and I opted to read it for this topic. It was fascinating - alternately told by each twin (so it would work for the 2-author prompt, too), it details their experience reconnecting - they hadn't even known they had a twin - and dealing with their own identities after that. There's also an exploration into the ethics of the scientific study that came out of the separation of twins at birth.

Question of the Week
In my last book club the host served snacks and often tried to match them to the book. My favorite was the English tea we had while discussing Kate Atkinson's Life After Life. :)

message 26: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1254 comments Raquel wrote: "I'm not quite sure how to ask this question, but hopefully it will make some sense: What is the purpose of the story for you if you don't like the characters? What are you rooting for as you read?.."

That they will die a horrible death/get their comeuppance? :D

I think there's a limit to unlikeable characters for me and it depends on the book. If it's used to explore a theme of interest or the writing is something special, then I'm fine with it but for very character driven novels, I really need to not hate the main character!

message 27: by Johanne (last edited Jun 28, 2018 07:36AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Good afternoon everyone

It seems the Danish weather follows the British. It´s been a very dry and warm month (or two), not very typical weather for these parts. On saturday was the celebration of midsummer, where it´s tradition to have huge bonfires. This year many areas had a ban on lighting fires because of how dry everything is. Ordinarily it´s rain that´s an obstacle for the midsummer bonfires...

I didn´t finish anything for the challenge this week either (I´m behind), but I have a long holiday ahead of me, starting saturday after work - yay!

Currently reading:
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (audiobook)

Farligt venskab #2 in the Woodwalker series by German author Katja Brandis.

QOTW
I remember being inspired by books (and feeling hungry), reading about food. Two that made this impression on me, are Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain and It Can't Always Be Caviar by Johannes Mario Simmel.

The children and I have made the "pancakecake" from Pancakes for Findus a Swedish children´s picture book. It´s pancakes in a huge pile layered with blueberrys and whipped cream. Munchy. I don´t recall there being a recipe, it´s just a part of the book.

message 28: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Nadine wrote: "Wuthering Heights is about an all-consuming passion between two unhinged assholes."

Ha! That's one of the best things I've read all week! I'm firmly in the "hate" camp for WH because I simply can't stand these people!!

message 29: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments I finished 2 books this week, and 1 actually fit the challenge!

I'm at 42/52

Book that's published in 2018: Legendary by Stephanie Garber
Also finished The Shape of Water by Guillermo del Toro, not for challenge.

Working on:
Voyager by Diana Gabaldon
The Vile Village by Lemony Snicket on audio
Some Small Magic by Billy Coffey. I already have something in "Death or Grief" but I'm going to put this there instead as it fits way better than what's there.
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire on audio, for "Stage Play or Musical"
The End by Lemony Snicket - aloud to son

QOTW:
No. I hate cooking. I like to decorate cakes, NOT bake them, just decorate them. The closest I've come to thinking about making food was the though "I wish I liked to bake" when reading about food.
When I read Skinny Bitch: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous! it sort of got me excited about food, but it was more finding the right foods to eat, not putting it together in a dish.

message 30: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Nadine wrote: "The weather had the horses feeling very frisky, too; leading them back into the barn was challenging!"

Wait...you have horses? How did I not know this? My daughter will want to come spend her summers with you now! :)

message 31: by Nadine in NY (new)

Brooke wrote: "@Nadine - I am going to add What You Want To See to my TBR based on your recommendation! I hadn't heard of that author before this morning, so thank you. :) It looks like it is #2 i..."

Awesome!! Yes, read the first book first. The Last Place You Look The mystery is stand-alone, but the character and relationship development is important, too.

message 32: by Nadine in NY (new)

Sara wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Wuthering Heights is about an all-consuming passion between two unhinged assholes."

Ha! That's one of the best things I've read all week! I'm firmly in the "hate" camp for WH becaus..."

LOL!

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Heather wrote: "Jenny Colgan always packs delicious British Isles recipes into a lot of her work"

Jenny Colgan is exactly who I think of when I think about recipes in books. I haven't gotten around to making any of hers yet, but I plan to! Plus - I enjoy seeing the differences in the ingredient names for the British vs. Americans. If I am not sure what they mean I'll google it to make sure I'm right :) Same thing happens when I watch the Great British Baking Show :)

message 34: by Ali (last edited Jun 28, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

Ali (aliciaclare) | 153 comments Hello all! I'm a little tired today because I stayed up late finishing a good book, which I'm sure you all understand. I've finished 3 books since the last check in, none of which counted for the challenge.

First, If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan. This is a story about a girl in love with her best friend who is soon going to be married. It's set in Iran, so it was really interesting to read a queer story set in a different country. However, I didn't love the writing style and some of the choices the main character made (which frankly was explained by the fact that she was 17).

Next, was The Ruin of a Rake by Cat Sebastian. This was the first male/male romance I'd ever read, but it was regency England which is the setting of most romance I read. I really liked it! The characters were compelling and I squealed multiple times reading this, which is a high compliment to reading romance. I really like Sebastian's writing style, so I'm looking forward to reading more from her.

Finally, I finished The Upside of Unrequited bu Becky Albertalli last night. This was such a delightful YA contemporary. I found the main character to be such a realistic 17 year old who was full of anxiety and insecurities, but was eventually able to start figuring herself out.

Currently, I'm reading Smoke in the Sun and Juliet Takes a Breath, which I hope to finish over the weekend. I think I'll also be picking up the The Kite Runner audiobook which I have out from the library.

QOTW: I made chocolate chip cookies this week which always makes me think of To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han. I'll probably bake more cookies whenever the movie adaptation comes out on Netflix in August! I haven't really made anything else based on books, but I always loves when books have recipes for whatever was made in the book.

message 35: by Anabell (last edited Jun 28, 2018 07:58AM) (new)

Anabell | 354 comments This week I finished 2 books but only one for the challenge so it brings me to: 37/52

Last year I finished early as I mainly focused on the challenge but it also meant that I didn't have a reading challenge for the remaining 4-5 months of the year so have slowed it down a bit and also focused on reading books for my around-the-world challenge.

I finished:
Ready Player One I absolutely loved this book. All the 80´s reference was so much fun. One of the few 5 star books I have read this year. I listened to it on audio read by Will Wheaton and I actually made up things to do just so I could continue to listen to the book. I can't just sit still and not do anything else when listening to audio books. I have to either clean or go for a walk just something.
(I didn't see any atheism as someone mentioned earlier... )

A Fortune-Teller Told Me: Earthbound Travels in the Far East I like the idea of the book but it became to much of a negative view on how no countries are holding on to their old values and him comenting on fortune tellers and how they are wrong. It became a bore to read so skimmed it to the end and only gave it 2 stars.

I am currently reading:
A book set in the decade you were born The Eyre Affair I am not sure how I feel about his book so far. It seems very messy in the structure. I hope it will be better...

QOTW: For this challenge I read Tomato Rhapsody: A Fable of Love, Lust & Forbidden Fruit and I ended up craving Italian food especially tomato salad...
(I have read other books mention cakes and no I didn't bake anything as I am a lousy cook but I did buy some to eat while reading on)

message 36: by Chandie (new)

Chandie (chandies) | 280 comments Prompts:

Book set on another planet: Iron Goldby Pierce Brown. I’m not a huge fan of sci-fi but I do really enjoy this series. It did take me a minute to get into this book though, but about a 1/3 of the way through it, I started to fly through it.

Book given as a gift: By the Book: Writers on Literature and the Literary Life edited by Pamela Paul. This is just a compilation of columns that appear in the New York Times Book Review. I did enjoy it. I especially loved the authors who weren’t too full of it and rolled my eyes at the ones that couldn’t abide by genre literature.

Ones that don’t tick off prompts:
Now that You Mention It by Kristan Higgins. I love Higgins. I like her foray into more women’s fiction but I really love her romances.

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn. It was an okay mystery. The protagonist was an agoraphobe who is a drinker and therefore no one believes her because they think she is just a drunk which is a trope I’m over.

Two Girls Down by Louisa Luna. Mystery with two girls that go missing and a bail bondsmen who can always find missing people. I really didn’t like it because I didn’t like the protagonist. She was supposed to be this phenom but she got violent unexpectedly, she made some really stupid decisions and her first big case was just luck.

Too Wilde to Wed by Eloisa James. Historical romance. I liked it, I would have loved it without the whole barmaid interlude.

message 37: by Ian (last edited Jun 28, 2018 08:13AM) (new)

Ian (iansreads) This week I finished 3 books for the challenge (I'm now at 32/52) and a short story.

1) The Ensemble by Aja Gabel - I am in love with this book. These characters were beautiful (my favorite thing was the lack of description allowing you to project your own ideas of their ethnicity), and the story was so well told and accessible.
Prompt: Favorite Prompt from a Previous Year - A Book from the Library, 2016
2) Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson - This is the single most important book I have ever read. It was difficult, but critical. Please read it.
Prompt: True Crime
3) Nutshell by Ian McEwan - This was almost too literary, but it was such a gripping plot that I could not put it down.
Prompt: An Author with the Same First or Last Name as You

I also read Laurie by Stephen King. This is a short story that is available for free on his website. It's a cute story (with a small King twist) about a widow whose sister gives him a puppy.

I am currently reading 2 books:

1) The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach for "A Book About or Involving a Sport" - This seems like it may be a favorite for the year.
2) Off to Be the Wizard by Scott Meyer for "A Book Involving Time Travel" - This is a cute, fun read after my heavy picks last week.

Question of the Week:

Q: Have you ever felt inspired to cook or bake based on the book you are reading (could be an actual recipe in the book or just a dish mentioned in it)? If not, does it sound like something you’d want to do?
A: I have been tempted to try out the recipes Jason Matthews mentions in Red Sparrow (My pick for "A Book with an Animal in the Title"), but I have not ever actually made a recipe from a book.

message 38: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Ian wrote: "Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson - This is the single most important book I have ever read. It was difficult, but critical. Please read it."

This book has been on my TBR for a while, and I had hoped my book club would pick it (they didn't). I may just need to bring it to the top of my TBR pile. Thanks for the recommendation :)

message 39: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Ian wrote: "3) Nutshell by Ian McEwan - This was almost too literary, but it was such a gripping plot that I could not put it down...."

I loved this book! Agreed, too literary (I'm sure there were references that I missed) but altogether wonderful. One reviewer described the fetus as a cross between Stewie (a character on TV's Family Guy) and Hamlet, and that exactly captures it for me.

message 40: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1870 comments Elena wrote: "Good morning everyone
Maybe by the time I finish, we'll have a publication date for The Winds of Winter

.."

HAH! I keep putting off rereading until there IS a publication date. It will only take me a month or so to reread them all. At least that was the case with Dance with Dragons.

You are not alone!

message 41: by Anne (new)

Anne (annefullercoxnet) | 203 comments I took a long road trip this week (Omaha to Dillon, Montana) and while I listened to an audio book, I didn't get it finished. I haven't had much time to read here in Montana (yet) but I love being here. I only read two books this week.

I read:
The Word Is Murder- I enjoyed the book, but it wasn't my favorite Horowitz. I would absolutely recommend his other work before this one.
The Pearl Thief- again, I enjoyed the book but it wasn't as good as her other two. I am lending it to my sister, so it was at least good enough to recommend.
Currently reading:
The Broken Girls- I like it so far. I should finish today.

QOTW: I thought about trying a couple of the recipes from Pie but never got around to it. I will say that books with a lot of recipes and eating stress me out. I just keep thinking, "How many calories can you possibly consume." As a big girl I have to keep careful track of what I put in my mouth.

Happy Reading this week!

message 42: by Stacey (last edited Jun 28, 2018 10:01AM) (new)

Stacey | 404 comments Happy Thursday!
I'm currently up to 27/52

This Week I Finished Reading:

Confessions of a Virgin Sex Columnist! by Kay Marie (Kaitlyn Davis) ⭐️⭐️⭐️ for 40 part C)Your favourite prompt from 2015, 2016, 2017 POPSUGAR challenge. For my 2017 prompt I chose: A Book By An Author that uses a Pseudonym

Paris for One and Other Stories by Jojo Moyes ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ for 7) A Book Set in a Country that Fascinates You
I've always wanted to visit Paris & explore some places in France! Je parle français aussi!

Artemis by Andy Weir ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ for 27) A Book Set on a Different Planet
-ok so I know the moon isn't technically another planet but for me the spirit of this challenge prompt is a book not set on Earth so I'm totally counting this.

Matilda by Roald Dahl ⭐️⭐️⭐️ for 33) A Childhood Classic that you've never read

Currently Reading:
Not That I Could Tell by Jessica Strawser for 28) A Book with Song Lyrics in the Title - using "I Could Tell" based on this song "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYWiyswB7Mk"

DNF this week
An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
I know that Oprah raves about this book & that there is a lot of hype surrounding it but I really don't understand why. Here is why I DNF:
If you've read the synopsis, you already know 99% of the plot. Also parts of this book were just in really poor taste (I'm not referring to the main story I'm referring to tidbits that were just uncalled for and just had me cringing).
Ex#1: "going to buy a fish sandwich from the Muslims" when there is no further narration of the sandwich or her experience buying it. I felt it just served to add to an unnecessary stereotype. Ex#2: "I don't want him to know history so that he doesn't feel like he owes anyone". I'm pretty sure we should all be grateful to the vets who laid down their lives for our freedom who didn't expect anything from individuals in return!

QOTW
I cook/bake a ton as it is so generally when I'm reading it's not something I feel like doing or really thinking about however the Harry Potter series has inspired me to think about it for sure! I think at least half the chapters in the series mention food in some way, some with very descriptive details! I have English ancestry as well so I have looked into a few of the more traditional meals mentioned in those books. I mentioned trying some to my sister and she bought me The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory--More Than 150 Magical Recipes for Wizards and Non-Wizards Alike as part of my birthday gift a few weeks ago. So will be cooking some soon!

Looking for a Recommendation...HELP!
I was thinking about what I want to read for some of the remaining prompts this week (relating to my ancestry&microhistory) and I discovered that it's really difficult to find a book by subject matter!

I'm looking for a book with any of the following topics that would relate to my personal ancestry/microhistory:
-What life was like in Canada for German Immigrants right before and during ww1/2 era
-My great grandfather immigrated to Canada from Germany sometime before ww1 started and I know that my grandfather/great uncle despite being Canadian born and serving in the Canadian army were heavily discriminated against to the point where the spelling of my last name suddenly dropped an "N" so instead of ending in ...mann it became ...man so that it wouldn't be immediately recognized as a German surname. I can't really talk to them or ask them what they went through because they've both passed but I would love to learn about that! As it is I really only know tidbits, like how when they were home on leave the government would track them and would take their weapons until returning to their station.

-About what life was like in a motorcycle brigade during ww2
-My grandfather served in one in Britain during ww2 and I never got the chance to meet him so I'm curious what it might have been like for him!

-About the Avro Arrow Engine
-I know there are several about the project as a whole & why it was killed but I'm hoping to find something specifically related to Nobel, ON area (now Avro Arrow Road) where the engines were tested in the 50's! The land my family owned/still own is less than a 5 minute drive from where the old testing facility was. My dad in his younger years grew up hearing the engines day and night!

message 43: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 743 comments Whoo... tiring week. The library continues to be CRAZY with summer programs in full swing! At least it means kids are reading!

I'm in charge of a project at the library called "Mystery Books" -- wrapping books in colorful wrapping paper and writing a short description of each book on the cover (just a line or two), then putting them on display. The goal is for kids, teens, and adults to pick out and read a book without judging it by its cover. Most months about 20-30 Mystery Books go out... this month we're at 81 and counting! Whoo!

Books I read this week:

The Beast Master -- for "book by a female author with a male pseudonym." THANK YOU to whoever suggested Andre Norton as a possibility for this prompt! I think I may have discovered a new favorite author.

SLAY -- not for the challenge. Lighthearted and silly but fun book about a boy band who kills demons in their spare time.

Lord of Light -- not for the challenge, though looking back it could have qualified for "book mentioned in another book" (apparently this book was the basis for the fake film used for the CIA plot in Argo: How the CIA & Hollywood Pulled Off the Most Audacious Rescue in History, which I also read for the challenge). Odd but enjoyable.

Cardboard Kingdom -- not for the challenge. Great graphic novel about the power of imagination, diversity, teamwork, and being oneself.

Currently reading:

The White Tiger -- for the prompt "book you saw someone reading in public"
The Bread We Eat in Dreams -- not for the challenge
And still hammering away at Lovecraft...

QOTW:

I remember trying one of the recipes in the Josi Kilpack series "Culinary Mysteries" (I don't remember which book it came from), but either I botched it royally or the recipe itself was a dud because it came out awful. I do tend to read books about food and come away hungry, though -- something about the descriptions just appeals, I guess. The foods in the "Harry Potter" books especially intrigue me, which is why I was so excited to find there's an unofficial Harry Potter cookbook out there -- The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory--More Than 150 Magical Recipes for Wizards and Non-Wizards Alike

message 44: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 299 comments Hello from sunny Columbus! Whoops forgot it was Thursday! It’s been raining lately so it’s cooled down a bit here, thankfully.

What the Hell Did I Just Read was a loose interpretation of the “end of the world as we know it” prompt for the goodreads summer challenge. I really love David Wong’s books. I hope he writes more about these characters because they’re a lot of fun.

Alone: Orphaned on the Ocean another goodreads summer challenge pick. If you’re not familiar with this incident, basically an 11 year old’s parents and siblings were killed and the boat they were on sank, she floated around on a small life preserver for I think 4 days before she was found by a passing ship. Not a disappointing read, but I thought there’d be more details about the crime. I heard about this on the my favorite murder podcast I think, and pretty much everything in the book I previously heard before. There was some interesting background about the man who (most definitely probably) committed the crime, and it went on to talk about the survivor’s life until recently. A good pick for fellow true crime lovers and murderinos.

Empire Falls second to last pick for the June section of summer reading challenge. A very, very good book that fits perfectly for prompts about fathers. I really should make it a point to read more Pulitzer Prize winners because I always really enjoy them when I do get around to them. I actually still have a few chapters that I’ll finish in the car later today but unless some terrible twist happens that ruins everything, I don’t think my opinion is going to waver much.

So I just have one book left for the June section!

QOTW: sometimes, yes! I tried lemon cake with chocolate frosting after reading The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. I don’t think I’d ever heard of that combo before the book but I then realized it was actually pretty common so I had to try it. I want to try potato peel pie too lol.

Thegirlintheafternoon Ali wrote: "Next, was The Ruin of a Rake by Cat Sebastian. This was the first male/male romance I'd ever read, but it was regency England which is the setting of most romance I read. I really liked it! The characters were compelling and I squealed multiple times reading this, which is a high compliment to reading romance. I really like Sebastian's writing style, so I'm looking forward to reading more from her."

She has some great ones, Ali! My favorites are The Soldier's Scoundrel and Unmasked by the Marquess.

message 46: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1870 comments Nadine wrote: "Sara wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Wuthering Heights is about an all-consuming passion between two unhinged assholes."

Ha! That's one of the best things I've read all week! I'm firmly in the "hate" camp ..."

Best. Summary. of WH. EVER!
Yes I am in the hate camp, since I was a teen, actually. A pet peeve of mine is books promoted as tbese epic classic romances in the love story sense, and they clearly are no such thing. WH fits that. Gobe With the Wind another...

Thegirlintheafternoon Good morning, everyone!

I'm in an all-romance, all the time mood, so I'm working on The Ripped Bodice's Summer Romance Bingo Board. It's been great fun so far!

COMPLETED

For the Popsugar Challenge, I finished Electric Arches, which fit the stranger-reading-in-public advanced prompt. It was uneven, but very strong on the whole. Sitting at 29/50 for this challenge.

I finished The Kiss Quotient, which other readers seem to enjoy more than I did, and listened to the audiobook of Carry On (I'd previously read it in hard copy - the book is still just okay for me, but the performance is SO great that I thoroughly enjoyed it). I also read a couple of quick children's graphic novels that I really enjoyed: Laser Moose and Rabbit Boy and Princess Princess Ever After.

CURRENTLY READING

I'm about two-thirds finished with The Lotus Palace and have just started A Duke by Default.

QOTW

I'm not much of a cook, but I was very tempted to try some of the recipes in Ruby Tandoh's Eat Up: Food, Appetite and Eating What You Want.

message 48: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 731 comments It’s summer cold central here in my house. I’m exhausted - the girls have been such restless sleepers and now I’m sick myself. It’s that low level of illness that doesn’t justify taking it easy, but combined with the lack of sleep and the heat here, it’s making me super irritable.

However, last week I got to go to a David Sedaris Reading/signing and he’s so funny and that was so much fun. Watch this space for Sedaris rereads!

I have read a decent chunk this past week. I’m going to fail at fulfilling the Goodreads Summer Reading Challenge prompts for June but not by much.

Revival, Vol. 8: Stay Just A Little Bit Longer - Yay! Finished the series and it was a great finish. I highly recommend this series. So good. And if you are new to comics and intimidated by all the backstory that the big superheroes have, it’s nice that this is its own thing and it’s finished. I only ever use a full series per prompt, so this doesn’t advance me in any challenge prompts.

Hit - I used this as my end of the world as we know it book for the goodreads. It was on my radar because Delilah Dawson has been at Comic Con for the last two years and so I felt it was really time to get to her. It’s a very YA novel and there are some hilariously unbelievable plot points, but I actually really enjoyed it. The premise is hilarious.

The Wonderful O - a 1001 book, aimed at children but with an adult applicable message and very short. Lots of fun wordplay. I don’t know that I found a prompt for this.

The Tempest - I want to read a couple of retellings, so I listened to the audio. I’m not sure audio will be the way to go for me with Shakespeare - I did like the way the language flows when it’s not me muddling through, but without the additional help of actors and scenery etc even on a slower speed I found it a bit harder to follow. I used this to fill the reread a book you’ve read in school prompt and just changed out book for author because I only read so many books in school and it’s such a popular prompt for challenges but with a very finite group of options!

On Two Feet and Wings - for ATY for a book mentioning a body part. I got tired of waiting for White Teethto come off hold and I had this (from those summer free audiobooks) so I figured, why not? It’s not terrible but I think it’s one of those books for children that doesn’t work well for adults too. There was a lot of interior-ness that it felt like it was missing. That said, I feel like it’s a decent story to introduce children to the concept of leaving your homeland to escape horrible circumstances and how hard that can be. In this case, he ends up in Turkey as a child completely alone and trying to navigate in a language he doesn’t speak.

The Scarlet Letter - this was my alteration of a prompt for a book I skipped reading in school - because again, very finite and short list of options here and it’s constantly repeated in challenges. Instead, I read a book commonly read in the US in schools that we didn’t read at my Canadian school. And man, I’m sorry American schoolchildren. That first bit about custom houses must have been the absolute worst. It picked up considerably after that, but wow.

Vile Bodies - 1001 book, that took some time to grow on me - at first it feels like it’s just going to be a silly story parodying people from interwar England and since I don’t know them, I’ll miss all the jokes. Then it gets much more grim and started to mean more to me. The party lifestyle reminded me strongly of being an expat in Korea. There is a decent amount of horse and car racing and the car race hugely ends up affecting the plot, so it would work for a sports prompt.

The Secret of Danger Point - I used this for an ocean prompt because there are so many of them and I think the ocean is a sufficient influence on the plot, though it doesn’t all happen in the ocean. It’s a cute graphic novel with lots to recommend it, though it didn’t blow me away entirely.

Right now I’m most actively reading The Siege of Krishnapur and The Art of Fielding. Pertinent to last week’s QOTW, I’m interested in all three of the choices for monthly reads, though whether I will manage to read them on those three months, I don’t know.

QOTW

When I was a teen, I tried making some recipes from a cookbook based on the Pern books. I remember in particular a recipe for klah. It was okay, as I recall. I had friends who did a Harry Potter themed meal with butterbeer and that was fun, but in general I’m waaaaay too lazy and not into fancy cooking for this to be something I do for myself, though tell me a place and time and I’ll certianly eat book themed food.

message 49: by Tara (new)

Tara Nichols (tarajoy90) | 167 comments After a couple of slow reading weeks due to lots of travel with the family, my pace picked up considerably this week and I managed to finish 5 books.

Finished
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine I definitely enjoyed this book about a 30-year-old, quirky, lonely woman with a tragic past. I loved the journey the character took and was satisfied in the end.

Party (book by local author) Confession time. The author of this book, Tom Leveen, was a good friend of mine about 20 years ago. He has now written many books, and I hadn't read any of them, and had felt quite guilty about this for a long time. When I saw this prompt, I knew it was time to finally read something from my old friend. Party is his first novel, told from the perspectives of 11 teenagers attending a party together. I don't typically read much YA, and this was very YA, so it was a little hard for me to get into, but about half way through I felt very invested in the characters and anxious to find out what would happen to them. It was an enjoyable read and I look forward to reading more of Tom's books.

The Read-Aloud Family: Making Meaningful and Lasting Connections with Your Kids I read this to give me some tips for reading aloud with my kids this summer, and I loved it. I almost never finish instructional-type nonfiction, but this was so delightful that I read it all, and got great tips and recommendations for reading with my kids. Just this week I started reading Charlotte's Web to them at breakfast and it's been a really pleasant way to begin our days.

Beezus and Ramona Speaking of read-alouds, I finished reading this one aloud to my daughter last night after slowly making our way through it over the last month or so. She really liked it. I would have liked it more but the mom drove me crazy. So many times she just let Ramona get away with terrible behavior because she was young and didn't know better. What?!? Discipline your kid lady. (Perhaps I'm not the target audience.)

The Remains of the Day (book recommended by someone taking the Popsugar challenge) This is my first book by Ishiguro, and just wow. If you're a fan of Downton Abbey or The Crown, I highly recommend this.

Challenge Progress
40/52 completed (34/42 regular, 6/10 advanced)

Currently Reading
City of Dreams: The 400-Year Epic History of Immigrant New York (book tied to my ancestry)

The Cloister Walk (bestseller from the year I graduated high school - 1996)

I'm also going to the library today to pick up A Place for Us, which I'm excited to read.

QOTW
I think I've just made one recipe from a book I was reading, and that's Aunt Carol's Crunchy Salad from Jen Hatmaker's Of Mess and Moxie: Wrangling Delight Out of This Wild and Glorious Life. It's a fantastic salad and I've made it multiple times.

message 50: by Anne (new)

Anne Heather wrote: "I had a slow reading week, so I have a short check-in today.

Thanks to @Heather and @Anabell

Ready Player One seemed the most likely book for me to get through for the Cyberpunk option. I'm only about 3 chapters in, so maybe it gets less preachy? I always love hearing that others loved something when I'm at a struggling point.

« previous 1 3 4 5