College Students! discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 180 (180 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Just music in general..what you're listening to, what you love/hate.

I'm listening to Celene Dion's song 'All coming back to me now', as I just found out that the song was inspired by Wuthering Heights!

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Have any of you heard the song "Love Story Meets Viva la Vida"? Its a piano version by Jon Schmidt of Taylor Swifts Love Story and Viva la Vida by Coldplay. Its fantastic! Here is a link to the youtube vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXtVBJ...

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew At this very moment I'm listening to Many Rivers To Cross, Harry Nilsson and John Lennon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgzWqf...

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Lately I've been hooked on this group called "Owl City" anyone else heard of them? This link should let you listen to one of their songs, "Fireflies."

They're a bit different, but I love the music! I find it impossible to listen to their songs and be upset. It just makes me smile!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

rap, hiphop, club hits, some nickelback type stuff or celin dion some country leann rhymes

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) Kimberly, I also really like the Owl City song. They remind me of The Postal Service. If you aren't familiar with them I would highly suggest their song "Sleeping in"

In general though I like just about everything from punk, to country.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I know this is cheesy...(and cliched) but do ye have any songs that are, embedded into the soundtrack of your life, for want of a better way of saying? Like songs that have had particular relevance to something that was happening to you at the time?

I have loads...like the song '5 Years Time' by Noah and the Whale is my happy song, I have such good memories of it! Heres the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8YCSJ...

message 8: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "Lately I've been hooked on this group called "Owl City" anyone else heard of them? This link should let you listen to one of their songs, "Fireflies."

They're a bit different, but I love the music..."

I like them! My boyfriend and I have been obsessed with them lately!

message 9: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Annashu wrote: "Kimberly, I also really like the Owl City song. They remind me of The Postal Service. If you aren't familiar with them I would highly suggest their song "Sleeping in"

In general though I like jus..."

That's exactly what I thought of! I researched the hell out of them wondering if it was a side project or something! I think that's why I love them so much..because they remind me of Postal Service and I want new Postal Service stuff!

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) Jamie, I did the same thing and apparently other people have too because there was lots of stuff comparing the two.

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments oooh, I'll have to check them out!

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Roisu wrote: "I know this is cheesy...(and cliched) but do ye have any songs that are, embedded into the soundtrack of your life, for want of a better way of saying? Like songs that have had particular relevance..."

Drops of Jupiter - Train
Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
Simple and Clean - Utada Hikaru
Time After Time - Matchbox 20
Fill Me Up - Staind
I Can't Stop Loving You - Phill Collins
Let it Die - Three Days Grace
Big Eyed Fish, Gray Street, So Much to Say, Ants Marching, Lover Lay Down, American Baby - Dave Matthews Band
Being Alive - Company
Lost in the Wilderness, In the Beginning - Children of Eden

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily anyone else love garfunkle and oates? If you don't know who they are you need to check them out! so funny!

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Oh man, Iris really hits home right now...

message 15: by Drew (new)

Drew Hamilton (drewhamilton) Roisu wrote: "I know this is cheesy...(and cliched) but do ye have any songs that are, embedded into the soundtrack of your life, for want of a better way of saying? Like songs that have had particular relevance..."

Resurrect Me - Jon Foreman/Fiction Family
This Day - Audio Adrenaline
Show Me Your Glory - Third Day
Photograph - Jamie Cullum
Somebody That I Used to Know - Elliot Smith
Failure to Excommunicate - Relient K
Savior - Skillet
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
I've Always Loved You - Third Day
Welcome Home - Shaun Groves

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) Roisu wrote: "I know this is cheesy...(and cliched) but do ye have any songs that are, embedded into the soundtrack of your life, for want of a better way of saying? Like songs that have had particular relevance..."

oh yes. and Emily Iris is one of those for me too.

also...

Hands Down or anything by Dashboard Confessional (high school lol)
Best I Ever Had- Vertical Horizon.
The Way We Get By- Spoon
You Could Be Happy- Snow Patrol
Hide and Seek- Imogen Heap
Free Fallin'- Tom Petty
Landslide by the Dixie Chicks, or the original :)
Just What I Needed- The Cars
Don't Stop Believing- Jouney (LOVE journey)
More Time- Needtobreath
Hit me With Your Best Shot- Pat Benatar
Hometown Glory- Adele
kerosene- Miranda Lambert
Wonderwall- Oasis
Nothing Better- Postal Service
Take Me To The Riot- Stars. Actually, a whole lot of Stars, lol.

Um. I'm going to stop now because I can keep going lol! :)

message 17: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Iris is one of my very favorite songs too!

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 07, 2009 02:59AM) (new)

I don't think it's possible to not like the song 'Iris'. It's beautiful.

I have tonnes...

Alanis Morissette- You Learn
Star Fucking Hipsters- Until We're Dead
The Fellowship of the Rings soundtrack- The Breaking of the Fellowship
Yiruma- River Flows in You
Muse- Butterflies and Hurricanes
Leftover Crack- Super Tuesday
No Cash- Run Your Pockets
Anima Mundi- Chant
Star Fucking Hipsters- Empty Lives
Subhumans- Eat, Work, Pray, Die
Oi Polloi- Bash the Fash
Stars- Your Ex-Lover is Dead
Ludovico Einaudi- Le Onde
Simon & Garfunkel- Bridge Over Troubled Water
Forrest Gump Soundtrack- Feather Theme (most beautiful music EVER!)
Alexi Murdoch- Orange Sky
Leftover Crack- Operation M.O.V.E.

message 19: by Natanya (new)

Natanya (vraisemble) | 255 comments I don't really have a soundtrack of my life kind of thing, though I suppose there are certain songs that remind me of certain things. I listen to a lot of Broadway soundtracks (Wicked, In the Heights, Spring Awakening, Chorus Line, Les Miserables...), and then some pop/rock/alternative stuff, like Nickelback, Lifehouse, The Beatles, and a bunch of random songs. I recently found this group called Barcelona, whose song "Please Don't Go" is really great.

message 20: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Roisu wrote: "I don't think it's possible to not like the song 'Iris'. It's beautiful."

Apparently it is possible to not like it. My Mother hates it. lol.

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) Has anyone heard Lisa Hannigan's song "I Don't Know"? A friend of mine put it on myspace a few months ago and I can't get enough of it, there are some great youtube videos for it.

message 22: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments I can't get "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga out of my head. She's kind of crazy, but her songs are so catchy!

I have also recently become obsessed with Shinedown, they are soooo good.

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Kelly wrote: "I can't get "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga out of my head. She's kind of crazy, but her songs are so catchy!

I have also recently become obsessed with Shinedown, they are soooo good."

lol. It's so true! She's a strange one but her songs are fun. I like "Poker Face".

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Who is Lady Gaga? I keep hearing her being mentioned...

message 25: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Did anyone see her on Ellen? So funny.

message 26: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments Roisu - she's an American singer. She is known for wearing VERY odd outifts and hairstyles. Her music videos are weird too, but the songs are really good and fun.
My favorite outfit she's worn is the Kermit the Frog one.

message 27: by Alessia (new)

Alessia (allieonthemoon) Roisu wrote: "I know this is cheesy...(and cliched) but do ye have any songs that are, embedded into the soundtrack of your life"

Oh yes, a lot. Basically Queen and R.E.M. make up the soundtrack of my life, ut anyway here's a short list of songs

These are the days of our lives- Queen
Wish you were here- Pink Floyd
The Passenger- Iggy Pop
Losing my Religion- R.E.M.
Dreams- The Corrs
Ironic- Alanis Morissette
Una musica può fare- Max Gazzè (probably no one will know this, he's an italian singer, quite an indie one too)
Animal Instinct- The Cranberries
Shiny Happy People- R.E.M.
Misread- Kings of Convenience
Innuendo- Queen
Yellow- Coldplay
"Goodbye Lenin" soundtrack- Yann Tiersen
Human- The Killers
Grace- Jeff Buckley

Kelly, you're right Lady Gaga's songs are hard to get out of your head! I don't like her songs much, they're not my genre but I always find myself singing them. I like her videos and hairstyles though, so weird and original.

message 28: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) I'm currently addicted to The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's self titled release.
And, I'm seeing Scout Niblett next wednesday!

message 29: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Roisu wrote: "I don't think it's possible to not like the song 'Iris'. It's beautiful.

I have tonnes...

The Fellowship of the Rings so..."

I love Alexi Murdoch. A friend introduced me to his stuff a few years ago and I couldn't get enough.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, he's deadly! What songs of his do you like in particular?

message 31: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie wrote: "Roisu wrote: "I don't think it's possible to not like the song 'Iris'. It's beautiful.

I have tonnes...

The Fellowship of the ..."

Hard to pick a favorite:

Orange Sky
All of My Days
Love You More

What are your favorites?

message 32: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I cannot get enough of Metric these days. I've loved them for a while..but I haven't listened to them since the summer. I started listening to them again today and it's honestly that amazing feeling you get when you first hear a band you love for the first time. AH!

I keep replaying Front Row. It fits my mood tonight for some reason.

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) I've been listening to Animal Collective nonstop lately. Also I want MGMT and Santogold to come out with new albums!!!

Anyone know any good music that's similar?

message 34: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I love MGMT and Santogold! They remind me so much of work though because Forever 21 always played them. It kind of ruined it for me while I worked there..but now I can resume my love for them.

Some music that I like that kind of reminds me of them: Passion Pit, Of Montreal, The Blow, Mates of State, Architecture in Helsinki, TV On the Radio, Metric, Justice, New Young Pony Club.

I'll look through my Itunes further..I'm sure I have some other stuff. That was just my initial thought.

message 35: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Also, I really like the song I'm Not Going to Teach Your Boyfriend to Dance by The Black Kids.

message 36: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) Oh I love The Blow & Mates of State and I have that song by The Black Kids too!!! Haven't heard of a lot of the others though I'll check them out. Thanks!!! :)

message 37: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

No problem! Hope you find something you like!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Jamie, I love those songs too! Especially All of My Days! Blue Mind is brilliant too!

message 39: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 58 comments Stuff like Animal Collective:
Panda Bear (..duh)
Yeasayer
XTC
Caribou
Deerhunter
akron/family
grizzly bear

message 40: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 58 comments Lately I've just been listening to early-mid 90s alternative music like teenage fanclub, pavement, silver jews.

message 41: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 130 comments Wow, Chrissie, great taste. Love AnCo/Panda Bear.

message 42: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 58 comments Thanks! I assume you have good taste too then. :)

oh also my new guy's band (revocation) is on SPIN's top 10 bands to watch in 2010! so ya I guess I have been listening to that too.

message 43: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Ahh..Teenage Fanclub & Pavement! <3

message 44: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) Haha, speaking of Panda Bear... he apparently lives here in Lisbon, so my friends and I often talk about hunting him down. We never even tried, actually, but it's always fun to talk about it.

message 45: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I just discovered Passion Pit recently and my friend Ashley and I went around singing their songs all through finals week. haha. Better Things is the best, but Sleepyhead is awesome too.

Anyone read this month's PASTE? apparently Sufjan Stevens wants to stop writing narrative songs after his experimentation with the BQE. I was devestated. There will always be a special place in my heart for Sufjan.

message 46: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Jamie wrote: "I cannot get enough of Metric these days. I've loved them for a while..but I haven't listened to them since the summer. I started listening to them again today and it's honestly that amazing feelin..."

Have you seen the youtube clips of their appearance on Morning Become Eclectic? (The best name for a radio show I've ever heard)

message 47: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Matthew wrote: "Jamie wrote: "I cannot get enough of Metric these days. I've loved them for a while..but I haven't listened to them since the summer. I started listening to them again today and it's honestly that ..."

Lynn wrote: "I just discovered Passion Pit recently and my friend Ashley and I went around singing their songs all through finals week. haha. Better Things is the best, but Sleepyhead is awesome too.

Anyone ..."

NOOO! Sufjan cannot do that to me!!! Rip my heart out why don't you?! lol

No..I'm going to have to Youtube it! Thanks for mentioning it!

message 48: by Lynn (new)

Lynn You know how indecisive he is... like his 50 States project which he dropped... so I keep hoping that he didn't really mean it.

message 49: by Matthew (new)

Matthew I've laid out three cds to listen to while I read tonight.

Neil Young, Unplugged
The Band, Music from Big Pink
Dr. John, Duke Elegant

It's going to be a good night.

message 50: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Ah, Neil Young. Good stuff.
Sounds like a good night for you indeed!

« previous 1 3 4