Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
BOM /Series Nominations > August 2018 Young Adult (Can NOT be Crime, Thriller or Suspense) Book of the Month Nominations

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 28, 2018 03:48AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
Please nominate a Young Adult book that you would like to read in the month of August 2018. As the sub-genre for July was YA Crime, Thriller or Suspense, books for this month Can not be YA Crime, Thriller or Suspense

Nominations will be open until July 3rd

***Please pay special attention to the Rules and Guidelines listed below.***

Rules and Guidelines
1. Books nominated after the deadline will not be included in the polls. Sorry.
2. Each person is limited to nominating ONE book per category.
3. Please use the add book/author tool located at the top of the comment box when nominating a book. (Please make your nomination clear because side conversations do happen and we don't want to accidentally miss a nomination)
4. Please add the Goodreads synopsis for the book you nominate.
5. Books that were chosen as a past BOM will not be considered for the polls

Also, please be aware of your nomination's genre and list them in the appropriate BOM category.

IMPORTANT As the sub-genre for July was YA Crime, Thriller or Suspense, books for this month Can NOT be YA Crime, Thriller or Suspense

The BOM nominations are for our members to nominate a book they are truly interested in and have no affiliation with. Promotional activity is NOT permitted and nominations that the Moderators perceive to be promotional will be deleted without warning

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 30, 2018 05:49PM) (new)

Nominations so far:

Everland (Everland, #1) by Wendy Spinale

message 3: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14778 comments Mod
Everland (Everland, #1) by Wendy Spinale
Everland

The only way to grow up is to survive.

London has been destroyed in a blitz of bombs and disease. The only ones who have survived the destruction and the outbreak of a deadly virus are children, among them sixteen-year-old Gwen Darling and her younger siblings, Joanna and Mikey. They spend their nights scavenging and their days avoiding the deadly Marauders—the German army led by the cutthroat Captain Hanz Otto Oswald Kretschmer.

Unsure if the virus has spread past England’s borders but desperate to leave, Captain Hook is on the hunt for a cure, which he thinks can be found in one of the surviving children. He and his Marauders stalk the streets snatching children for experimentation. None ever return.

Until one day when they grab Joanna. Gwen will stop at nothing to get her sister back, but as she sets out, she crosses paths with a daredevil named Pete. Pete offers the assistance of his gang of Lost Boys and the fierce sharpshooter Bella, who have all been living in a city hidden underground. But in a place where help has a steep price and every promise is bound by blood, it might cost Gwen more than she bargained for. And are Gwen, Pete, the Lost Boys, and Bella enough to outsmart the ruthless Captain Hook?

message 4: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 435 comments Fallout (Lois Lane, #1) by Gwenda Bond Falloutby Gwenda Bond

Lois Lane is starting a new life in Metropolis. An Army brat, Lois has lived all over—and seen all kinds of things. (Some of them defy explanation, like the near-disaster she witnessed in Kansas in the middle of one night.) But now her family is putting down roots in the big city, and Lois is determined to fit in. Stay quiet. Fly straight. As soon as she steps into her new high school, though, she can see it won’t be that easy. A group known as the Warheads is making life miserable for another girl at school. They’re messing with her mind, somehow, via the high-tech immersive videogame they all play. Not cool. Armed with her wit and her new snazzy job as a reporter, Lois has her sights set on solving this mystery. But sometimes it’s all a bit much. Thank goodness for her maybe-more-than-a friend, a guy she knows only by his screenname, SmallvilleGuy.

message 5: by Elize (new)

Elize Russell (bookscookslooks) | 95 comments Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Elize wrote: "Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I do..."

Sorry Elize, we have already read this as a BOM (and it is a great book!), so can't be nominated again. Feel free to nominate a different book and you can check out the old thread here

message 7: by Elize (new)

Elize Russell (bookscookslooks) | 95 comments Moderators of NBRC wrote: "Elize wrote: "Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to t..."

Ahh I thought you might have but I couldn't find the old one. No worries! I will see if there is anything else I can think of.

message 8: by Elize (new)

Elize Russell (bookscookslooks) | 95 comments Falling into Place by Amy Zhang Falling into Place by Amy Zhang

Inertia, force, mass, gravity, velocity, acceleration... cause and effect.

Liz Emerson doesn't understand any of it.

But I do.

I understand how we fall. Where we fall. Why we fall.

I understand her sadness and loneliness and silence, her shattered heart.

It doesn't have to be this way, does it?

It wasn't always this way, was it?

Stay alive, Liz Emerson, stay alive.

On the day Liz Emerson tries to die, they had reviewed Newton's laws of motion in physics class. Then, after school, she put them into practice by running her Mercedes off the road. Why did Liz Emerson decide that the world would be better off without her? Why did she give up? The nonlinear novel pieces together the short and devastating life of Meridian High's most popular junior girl. Mass, acceleration, momentum, force—Liz didn't understand it in physics, and even as her Mercedes hurtles toward the tree, she doesn't understand it now. How do we impact one another? How do our actions reverberate? What does it mean to be a friend? To love someone? To be a daughter? Or a mother? Is life truly more than cause and effect? Amy Zhang's haunting and universal story will appeal to fans of Lauren Oliver, Gayle Forman, and Jay Asher.

message 9: by Melitta (new)

Melitta Jackson (themidnightlibrarian) | 74 comments 90 Days of Different by Eric Walters
90 Days of Different by Eric Walters

On the last day of high school, Sophie's boyfriend breaks up with her. It turns out he thinks she is too predictable, too responsible, too mature...too boring.
When Sophie turns to her best friend, Ella, for comfort and reassurance, Ella just confirms what her boyfriend has said. And that hurts even more.
Then Ella comes up with a plan to help Sophie find her wilder side before college. In the ninety days between the end of high school and the start of university, she is going to arrange for Sophie to do amazing, new, different and sometimes scary things. Sophie has to agree to everything no matter what. And she has to share her adventures through social media.
Can ninety days of different create a different life? Can stepping outside your comfort zone help you find yourself?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.