Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Author name variations

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by OldBird (new)

OldBird | 18 comments I wondered what was the best way to confirm an author's preferred name as standard. Is it what is on the cover of the book, or on the author's Amazon page? This is particularly difficult in cases where there is no claimed author profile to confirm with the author's own wishes.

For example, Earl Brigham and Earl L. Brigham.

The first is how he is listed on Amazon, while the second is on his book covers and website/Facebook promotions. As a reader I'd find it odd that these books are listed twice, but I'm not sure what, if any, changes should be made in a case such as this.

Please forgive the (probably very) newbie question.

message 2: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 22166 comments In this case it is easy. Since no profile is claimed, and the covers have the initial, that's the profile all books should be on.

I've merged the author profiles, and combined the books: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Since the author name on Amazon doesn't contain the initial, this will be an ongoing issue, as books imported from Amazon have to be corrected to have the initial included.

message 3: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 22166 comments And when in doubt, please ask.
It is not always obvious what is the right way to proceed. And some changes are difficult/very time consuming/impossible to revert once they are made.

message 4: by David (new)

David | 5 comments Is it possible to automatically add the fullstop after the initial on imports of new book titles?
Every time my wife (Karen J Carlisle) publishes a new book, we have to ask a librarian to merge it into her author page - because the Amazon policy is no dot on initials, but the policy here is with dot.
(This may not be the right place to raise it - is there a place for system feedback?)

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45422 comments Mod
David wrote: "Is it possible to automatically add the fullstop after the initial on imports of new book titles?"

Unfortunately not.

David wrote: "is there a place for system feedback?"

You may wish to use the Contact Us link on the Help page.