Play Book Tag discussion

The Black Dahlia (L.A. Quartet, #1)
This topic is about The Black Dahlia
Archive: Other Books > The Black Dahlia / James Ellroy. 2.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9055 comments The Black Dahlia / James Ellroy
2.5 stars

“The Black Dahlia” was the name given to a murder (true crime) that happened in LA in 1947. Elizabeth Short had been tortured and was found naked, cut in half. It was never solved. This is a fictionalized account, focusing on a detective who worked the case.

It took a long time for the story to really get going, I thought. I really wasn’t interested in the detective’s personal life – at all. Once Elizabeth’s body was found, it got more interesting, but even still, only to a point. I listened to the audio, so it may have had some effect on my rating, but I’m not sure it would have brought it up all that much if I’d read it, either. I have to admit, the narrator did accents very well.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lin | 49 comments I’ve read the translated version years ago. Though I didn’t finished it, I like how it captured the conflict of interests within different actors in the judicial system. But I agree that the personal life of the detective wasn’t interesting. Maybe I’ll pick it up sometime later.

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6381 comments I read this ages ago ... I think .... or maybe I read another book about this case? I think I read it (whichever book it was) back in the '70s, and it looks as if THIS work wasn't published until 1987.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8409 comments I also read this years ago and I remember feeling similar, and waiting endlessly for something to happen. I know I rated it low.

LibraryCin | 9055 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I read this ages ago ... I think .... or maybe I read another book about this case? I think I read it (whichever book it was) back in the '70s, and it looks as if THIS work wasn't published until 1..."

It's such a huge case, it may have been a different book you read in the 70s. According to its page here on GR, you're right - it says first published in '87.

message 6: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I've heard of this true crime case, but never read anything on it. I'd be interested in a true crime book on this, rather than this choice given your review.

LibraryCin | 9055 comments Yes, I'd also like to find something better, for sure.

Sushicat | 805 comments I gave this one 4.6 stars. It’s been a long time though and I didn’t write a review.... Looking at the reviews this book seems to polarize.

Booknblues | 6847 comments I'm more on the love side with this one. It got me started in reading more Ellroy.