Play Book Tag discussion

Ghosts
This topic is about Ghosts
June 2018: Magical Realism > Ghosts / Raina Telgemeier. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9085 comments Cat’s little sister, Maya, has cystic fibrosis, so in order to help her health, they are all moving from southern to northern California, to a town beside the ocean with more cloud, rain, and fog. Not only that, but when they arrive, Maya is excited, and Cat nervous, to learn that the town they’ve moved to is known for the ghosts. Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), Nov. 1, is very big in this town.

I enjoyed this. The girls are learning more about their Mexican heritage, and I found it really interesting to also learn about Dia de los Muertos. I also learned a little bit about cystic fibrosis. This is a YA graphic novel and I loved the illustrations; they are fairly simple, bright, and effective. For the Dia de los Muertos celebration, I thought the illustrations showed the joy and fun of the night.

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments I liked this one, too. I thought it handled CF well, and portrayed Maya as a strong girl with an illness nicely.

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments I liked this, too - our children's book group read it and really enjoyed it.