Stephen King Fans discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Interested to see where you all rank King's books so I can get an idea of what to read next!

message 2: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 220 comments Colton wrote: "Interested to see where you all rank King's books so I can get an idea of what to read next!"

Salem's Lot would be a good place to start, after Carrie. Personally, I don't think you need to read them in any order. Just pick one that looks good to you. :)

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Arnold-wirick | 21 comments Colton not sure how to paste your comment then mine but I agree don't have to read any order it's just what feels right I commented on your other post and gave some reasoning behind the books I suggest happy SK reading fr one fan to another :)

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3968 comments Colton wrote: "Interested to see where you all rank King's books so I can get an idea of what to read next!"

If you are asking our personal ranking as far as favorites, My top three are 'Salem's Lot, The Long Walk, Lisey's Story and then a close fourth would be Cujo.

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 3 comments Colton wrote: "Interested to see where you all rank King's books so I can get an idea of what to read next!"

At the current time my top three are It, Bag of Bones and Lisey's Story. I must admit that my choices seems to change over time.

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Here's a list I drew up a few years ago. It's amazing how little it's changed: - 1) Wizard and Glass, 2) The Shining, 3) Salam's Lot, 4) It, 5) Bag of Bones, 6) 11/22/63, 7) Different Seasons, 8) The Stand, 9) The Long Walk, 10) The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, 11) Misery, 12) Black House, 13) Gerald's Game, 14) Full Dark No Stars, 15) Duma Key

The problem with Wizard and Glass is that it's the 4th book in the dark tower series, so better skip that one. The books don't have to be read in order, though a few reference each other, so if you want to be get a lot of those references, read The Dead Zone before Cujo. It before 11/22/63; The whole dark tower series before Hearts in Atlantis. On second thought don't worry about the order.

message 7: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Very detailed list Nick I look forward to reading those, and thanks as well for the info!

message 8: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments I would suggest the Stand or the Shining. Both are prime King. I also liked 11/22/63, which shows a completely different side of King than what is always portrayed. Very good book.

message 9: by Lee (new)

Lee Brown | 5 comments If it's horror you want then consider Pet Sematary. For fantasy horror I recommend The Talisman which is possibly my favourite of all King's books, though he co wrote it with Peter Straub (as he did for Black House) the sequel.

If you have a lot of time on your hands then It is an epic King novel and one of his best.

Misery and The Stand are excellent too. There are so many. Have fun.

message 10: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments I remember reading that King thought Pet Sematary was so horrible he didn't want to publish it. But he was changing publishers and he needed one book to complete the old contract so he pulled out Pet Sematary, dusted it off and had it published. His wife on the other hand always liked it.

message 11: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Nick- that's pretty cool I didn't know that. I have that one and I look forward to reading it soon

message 12: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 152 comments My favorites are The Stand, The Talisman, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, 11/22/63, Bag of Bones and the Entire Dark Tower series. I may have gone over the top 10 here, but I really see the DT series as 1 really loooooong book.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Leoni | 180 comments I'll put out my top 10
1) The Stand
2) Wizard and Glass
3) Different seasons
4) The dead zone
5) The drawing of the three
6) IT
7) Misery
8) The Shininh
9) 22/11/63
10) Gersld's game

message 14: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 152 comments Oooooo It and Misery too. I'm going to need way more than a top 10. Can I give a top 20? haha

message 15: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Leslie- list as many as you want! The more the better

message 16: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Leslie wrote: "Oooooo It and Misery too. I'm going to need way more than a top 10. Can I give a top 20? haha"

Actually my original list was a top 40. Why not.

message 17: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Nick would you mind listing the top 40? Lol I'm interested in seeing it

message 18: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Colton wrote: "Nick would you mind listing the top 40? Lol I'm interested in seeing it"

I was afraid you were going to say that. Let double check the list, add in the new books since I first put it together and I'll put it up here.

message 19: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Haha take your time!

message 20: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments The Dark Tower (all counting as one)
The Talisman
Eyes of the Dragon
The Stand
IT
'Salem's Lot
Lisey's Story
Desperation
Insomnia
Duma Key

message 21: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Arnold-wirick | 21 comments Eyes of dragon really good but had been hard to find. I think he should try those agaib

message 22: by Nick (last edited Aug 06, 2014 10:22PM) (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Nick wrote: "Colton wrote: "Nick would you mind listing the top 40? Lol I'm interested in seeing it"

I was afraid you were going to say that. Let double check the list, add in the new books since I first put i..."

Okay, Colton - here's my lKing top 40, and a brief disclaimer. I just put a blog together that kind of explains how I got here. I'll have it available pretty soon.

One day I had a realization. I had read all the novels and novellas that King had ever written, and that made me some kind of an expert, I thought, especially since I had devoured all 50+ in the space of about 5 years. Why not rank them? I sure had my favorites... and knew those few works that I really didn’t like. My intent was to honor the books that I found so great. So I put together the Stephen King Top 40, knowing that it was a great injustice to King, because there were some massive works that he must have been very proud of, that didn’t make my cut.
I apologize to the great artist, and to all the fans who love books that ended up lower on my list or didn’t make it at all. These are the works that inspired me, turned me into a fan of the genre, and helped me become a reasonable practitioner, I hope, of the art of scaring the crap out of people.

1 Wizard and Glass
2 It
3 The Shining
4 ’Salem’s Lot
5 On Writing
6 Bag of Bones
7 Different Seasons
8 The Stand
9 11/22/1963
10 The Long Walk
11 The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
12 Misery
13 Gerald's Game
14 Full Dark, No Stars
15 Duma Key
16 Christine
17 Dolores Claiborne
18 Black House
19 Hearts in Atlantis
20 Lisey's Story
21 The Waste Lands
22 Wolves of the Calla
23 Rose Madder
24 Cujo
25 The Talisman
26 Under the Dome
27 Pet Sematary
28 Joy Land
29 The Dead Zone
30 The Green Mile
31 The Tommyknockers
32 Firestarter
33 Insomnia
34 The Eye of the Dragon
35 The Gunslinger
36 Roadwork
37 Thinner
38 Four Past Midnight
39 The Dark Half
40 Carrie

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason I read IT and 'Salems Lot and they were fantastic. Definitely deserve the high ranks.

However, the next book I plan to read by him is The Gunslinger (as in I'd start the Dark Tower series). I hope it's not THAT bad as to be placed as the 35th.

message 24: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Nick- thanks so much for that! It gives me an idea of which ones to look forward to, although I'm a little disappointed to see Carrie at last place since I was planning on reading that one next. Also no skeleton crew or night shift was saddening too, but it's great to see someone's opinion, and such a long list dealing with that opinion. I look forward to your blog. Have you ever thought about writing reviews for all of King's books?

message 25: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments Wow nick....no love for Needful Things?

message 26: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3968 comments Nick, you know you've opened yourself up to so, so, so many questions! :)

message 27: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Colton wrote: "Nick- thanks so much for that! It gives me an idea of which ones to look forward to, although I'm a little disappointed to see Carrie at last place since I was planning on reading that one next. Al..."

Jason wrote: "I read IT and 'Salems Lot and they were fantastic. Definitely deserve the high ranks.

However, the next book I plan to read by him is The Gunslinger (as in I'd start the Dark Tower series). I hop..."

Note that the #1 book on the list is from the dark tower series and the wastelands and wolves of the calla are also from DT. Many folks think that the waste lands is the best book in the series.

message 28: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments TheLongWait wrote: "Wow nick....no love for Needful Things?"

Disappointing I think. Some good stuff in there but not consistent throughout. Just didn't scare me enough.

message 29: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Kandice wrote: "Nick, you know you've opened yourself up to so, so, so many questions! :)"

I know, I'm asking for it. Maybe when my blog hits you'll understand a little better.

message 30: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Colton wrote: "Nick- thanks so much for that! It gives me an idea of which ones to look forward to, although I'm a little disappointed to see Carrie at last place since I was planning on reading that one next. Al..."

Carrie isn't in last place... it made the list. As far as Skeleton Crew and Night Shift, those are collections of short stories, and I don't read short stories very much so those collections aren't in here. When I do read short stories I usually go in and pick out the really long ones.

message 31: by Victor (new)

Victor Desperation, IT, Just After Sunset, and Salem's Lot are my favorites.
Also love Joyland and Cujo.

message 32: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Arnold-wirick | 21 comments Hi Nick I just read you listing and I'm glad to see someone else putting 11/23/63 up high on their list of favorites. It was a great and fascinating book. I had also read that he had started the idea in 63 but didn't think the "world" was ready for it, but glad he finally made the decision to write it, he also said in this same article that he had ideas for a book regarding 9/11 not sure that it will happen but maybe someday. It had been a pleasure to read your thoughts I love SK's writings he is my ALL TIME FAVORITE AUTHOR only a few of his works I have not read at this point. I'm reading Mr. Mercedes now and then I'm going to try the Dark Tower series again only one if his works that sadly I have a hard time with but it's a must read! Can't be a fan without reading them all :)

Do you also read his other books under Bachman?

HAPPY READING MY SK FAN FRIENDS :)

message 33: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Carrie wrote: "Hi Nick I just read you listing and I'm glad to see someone else putting 11/23/63 up high on their list of favorites. It was a great and fascinating book. I had also read that he had started the ..."

Carrie - several of the books on my list are Bachman Books, especially The Long Walk which is way up there for me. I really didn't care for the Running Man, and the only reason to read Blaze is to say you did, I guess. Even King admits that it isn't very good.

message 34: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments After seeing Nick's list, I feel kind of intimidated as I have never given it as much thought as he has - good job, Nick!

My list - top 10

1. The Stand (I only read the abridged since I read it before the unabridged was released - I have to go back and reread!)
2. The Long Walk
3. The Drawing of the Three
4. The Dead Zone
5. Four Past Midnight
6. Different Seasons
7. The Eyes of the Dragon
8. Pet Sematary
9. On Writing
10. The Green Mile

(There are about 15 titles tied for 11th place)

Now, there are still a few recent titles I have not read (I know, a true fan should have read them all by now). But, there is kind of a nice feeling knowing that there is some Stephen King out there that I haven't read in case I need a new story fix without waiting! Some of the one's I haven't read (including 11/22/63 and Duma Key) are high on people's lists. So, maybe I will have to read these sooner than later.

message 35: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Glad to see you include On Writing, which - although it is a very good book about composition and grammar - is also an autobiographical novel about King, his beginnings, and his struggle to become the preeminent American novelist of the late 20th century.

message 36: by Amin (new)

Amin Ghali I've been reading SK books for almost 20 years and many times this list would change but the top two are always the same to me.
1. IT
2. The shining
3. The dark tower series

message 37: by Amin (new)

Amin Ghali Continued
1. IT
2. The shining
3. The dark tower series
4. The stand
5. The long walk
6. The library policeman
7. The dark half
8. The green mile
9. Mr. Mercedes
10. 11/22/63
11. The green mile

message 38: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2100 comments The Stand
The Long Walk
The Dark Tower Series (1 - 7)
The Wind Through the Keyhole
The Shining
Carrie
Doctor Sleep
It
Misery
Joy Land
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

I guess you could say my list is longer then 10 if you put each Dark Tower book as separate but I just put it was one group. I tried to put them in order in terms of favorites but I like all of the books so this list is really in no particular order.

message 39: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie Wimberly (Ronnie_PW) | 19 comments Hello! I decided to make my top 10 list after reading all of your lists!

1. The Tommyknockers
2. The Talisman
3. The Waste Lands (III)
4. Black House
5. The Dark Tower (VII)
6. Salem's Lot
7. Christine
8. Under the Dome
9. The Shining
10. Misery

Also, I really liked Song of Susannah and Eyes of the Dragon. I have read The Tommyknockers 3 times and I love it every time. It was the very first novel I ever read.

message 40: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Thanks for all the lists, keep them coming!

message 41: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3968 comments 1. Salem's Lot
2. The Long Walk
3. Lisey's Story
4. Cujo
5. Under the Dome
6. On Writing
7. Cell
8. The Stand (uncut)
9. The Talisman
10. The Gunslinger

I think, but that changes all the time. With such a pool of brilliance to fish from how can you ever throw one back?

message 42: by Jude (new)

Jude (judiferr) | 10 comments For me so far (in no order) it would be:
1. Salem's Lot
2. The Dark Half
3. IT
4. Christine
5. The Stand
6. Pet Semetary
7. 11/22/63
8. Firestarter
9. Carrie
10. Night Shift/Skeleton Crew

I also really enjoyed On Writing

message 43: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments Nick wrote: "Glad to see you include On Writing, which - although it is a very good book about composition and grammar - is also an autobiographical novel about King, his beginnings, and his struggle to become ..."

Yes - On Writing surprised me. If anyone is skipping it because they are not interested in non-fiction, or they just think this is Stephen King's instruction manual for becoming a writer - they are missing out!

message 44: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Matthew wrote: "Nick wrote: "Glad to see you include On Writing, which - although it is a very good book about composition and grammar - is also an autobiographical novel about King, his beginnings, and his strugg..."

In reality, the first half at least is a great story... King's autobiography told with all the skill he has at storytelling. Everyone should read that part at least. There's also a great commentary on all his books as he goes along explaining the writer's tool box. Finally the end tells about his accident and his recovery from that. READ IT!

message 45: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Well I just finished Carrie, and I would say it's third best behind shining and the long walk. Bout to start salems lot next I think!

message 46: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3968 comments Colton wrote: "Well I just finished Carrie, and I would say it's third best behind shining and the long walk. Bout to start salems lot next I think!"

My favorite! Keep in mind when it was written as you read. The story loses nothing over time, but it's so easy to forget that we weren't always so easily "connected" through cells, email, the web.

I hope you love it!

message 47: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments So I wrote a blog about my SK Top 40 list on August 7. It showed up on my blog page (nickiuppawrites.com) but didn't make it to my goodreads page until today. There's a lot of biographical stuff that explains how I came to read King in the first place. The list that's posted in this discussion is cut and pasted from that blog. Take a look.

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (queenjaneapproximately) | 30 comments Here is my Top 20. Keep in mind I haven't read all of his books (yet! I'm getting close!), and I'm only 2 books into The Dark Tower so I will leave those off.

1. Gerald's Game
2. The Green Mile
3. It
4. Bag of Bones
5. Different Seasons
6. The Tommyknockers (gets so much hate but I loved it!)
7. Desperation
8. Nightmares and Dreamscapes
9. Misery
10. 11/22/63
11. Dreamcatcher
12. The Shining
13. Under the Dome
14. Pet Sematary
15. The Bachman Books
16. Joyland
17. Rose Madder
18. The Regulators
19. Just After Sunset
20. Cujo

...That was really difficult!

message 49: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie Wimberly (Ronnie_PW) | 19 comments Yeah, I don't understand why The Tommyknockers gets so much hate! It's my favorite book of all time! I don't know what people don't like about it! The book is near perfect if you ask me!

message 50: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3968 comments I loved Tommyknockers too. That and Cell which also gets a lot of flack. O_o

« previous 1