YA Book Addicts discussion

Discussions & Debates > Movie Castings

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Here we can rave and rant about how book to movie casts are or your dream casts for books or anything else!

message 2: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

electra | 623 comments Mod
Now we don't have to clog up other threads!

message 3: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Haha definitely! So what were we talking about before?

message 4: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

I think we were talking about the Hunger Games cast?

message 5: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (forebodinq) I personally imagined Katniss with darker skin - I didn't mention that in the last thread.

message 6: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

@Sabrina - same! I didn't directly imagine her, but I found myself musing after I've read the book like "well... suzanne collins didn't really mention her skin color, did she?" (at least not in the first book...I think?) but yeah I do think she could have been of a different race. I mean, her hair is brown - that's basically one of the only things we know about her appearance. She could be Indian, Latina, Native American, whatever. It would have made her more relatable for some people out there

message 7: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Anyone picture a paler Gale?!?!

message 8: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Jordyn | 2757 comments Mod
Meeee!!

message 9: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!

Same thing for Tobias actually!

message 10: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 77 comments lol I watched the movie first... I know I know, but the movie got me wanting to read the book, which is awesome. anyways so I just imagined the people in the movie while I read. but I def didn't imagine finick at all like.the movie, but he ended up.being great

message 11: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Haha that always changes the experience a lot.
And yeah Finnick wasn't like that in my mind. Then again I was never obsessed with Finnick??? I think it's cause I read the first two books when I was 11 (aka pre-huge character crushes for me), so I never really got the whole Finnick is amazing thing!

message 12: by Juliet (new)

Juliet | 245 comments In my mind, Finnick was hotter. xD And I agree Riya, half the time I forget about him.

message 13: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

I pictured Tobias stronger looking and with darker hair for some reason
I pictured Peter as someone cute

I pictured Cinna as more of a stronger stern guy

I pictured Ethan taller
I pictured Ridley more badass and way prettier

message 14: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Haha I'm glad you agree Juliet!

And I totally pictured a darker haired, stronger Tobias. Definitely not a cute Peter though!!!

message 15: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Riya wrote: "Haha I'm glad you agree Juliet!

And I totally pictured a darker haired, stronger Tobias. Definitely not a cute Peter though!!!"

Haha!

message 16: by Bella (new)

Bella Privitere (bella_hemmings) | 11 comments I hate to be picky about movie castings; obviously, they can't perfectly recreate the author's image, but I think Tobias could have been paler and Tris could have been smaller, or less pretty. I also think Al should have been larger, and softer looking.

message 17: by America (new)

America | 29 comments Yeah I don't think the Al in the movie really portrayed the Al in the book

message 18: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Bella wrote: "I hate to be picky about movie castings; obviously, they can't perfectly recreate the author's image, but I think Tobias could have been paler and Tris could have been smaller, or less pretty. I al..."

Exactly!!!!

message 19: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Bella wrote: "I hate to be picky about movie castings; obviously, they can't perfectly recreate the author's image, but I think Tobias could have been paler and Tris could have been smaller, or less pretty. I al..."

I actually agree with the Tris thing. How are we supposed to believe the female main characters of novels are "unattractive" or "ordinary looking" when they cast flawless-looking actresses to play their roles? I wish Hollywood would sometimes try casting people who looked more... real idk and aren't pampered and made to look perfect every day.

message 20: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Amee wrote: "Bella wrote: "I hate to be picky about movie castings; obviously, they can't perfectly recreate the author's image, but I think Tobias could have been paler and Tris could have been smaller, or les..."

EXACTLY! Like if the book says unattractive we want to see unattractive! Hollywood sucks sometimes. Also when the book says attractive they aren't always attractive... its confusing

message 21: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Jordyn wrote: "Amee wrote: "Bella wrote: "I hate to be picky about movie castings; obviously, they can't perfectly recreate the author's image, but I think Tobias could have been paler and Tris could have been sm..."

ikr! plus, whenever authors make their heroines "unattractive", they actually describe them as having generally attractive features, like a full head of lovely colored hair, blue/green/grey eyes, normal faces, skinny/curvy body... what's so unattractive and horrible about that?

message 22: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Amee wrote: "Jordyn wrote: "Amee wrote: "Bella wrote: "I hate to be picky about movie castings; obviously, they can't perfectly recreate the author's image, but I think Tobias could have been paler and Tris cou..."

Haha actually the authors make the heroines think they're unattractive when in reality they are moderately or extremely attractive...And even if they're average (ex. Tris), she still wasn't described terribly and her movie casting wasn't unattractive...

message 23: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Amee wrote: "Jordyn wrote: "Amee wrote: "Bella wrote: "I hate to be picky about movie castings; obviously, they can't perfectly recreate the author's image, but I think Tobias could have been paler and Tris cou..."

Exactly!!! I don't get why they do that. It makes insecure people who read that probably feel less of themselves because the authors view of unattractive as someone who actually is.. If that makes sense

message 24: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Riya wrote: "Amee wrote: "Jordyn wrote: "Amee wrote: "Bella wrote: "I hate to be picky about movie castings; obviously, they can't perfectly recreate the author's image, but I think Tobias could have been paler..."

Well sometimes if its the point of view of the character they could feel unattractive but its not always like that.

message 25: by Juliet (new)

Juliet | 245 comments I know! xD Tris is supposed to have blonde hair, and she has a really tiny and underdelveloped body. When I saw the casting I was like umm...no. Shailene did well enough though in terms of acting. :P

message 26: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Juliet wrote: "I know! xD Tris is supposed to have blonde hair, and she has a really tiny and underdelveloped body. When I saw the casting I was like umm...no. Shailene did well enough though in terms of acting. :P"

Yeah she didn't look EXACTLY how Tris was suppose to but acting was great!!! So I approve of Shai!

message 27: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Riya wrote: "Amee wrote: "Jordyn wrote: "Amee wrote: "Bella wrote: "I hate to be picky about movie castings; obviously, they can't perfectly recreate the author's image, but I think Tobias could have been paler..."

True, but that's still a little annoying because the only readers who can relate to those characters are the ones who look like them, and those types of people are always told they look beautiful and don't really need to be assured that they look nice. There are a lot of different races and ethnicities and body types and face shapes and bone structures not represented as much and that's very bad because girls who aren't white and skinny with heart shaped faces and button noses need assurance that they're beautiful much much more than the types of girls already represented. This is what bothers me the most about all this casting and character describing biz. Because, quite frankly, I have never EVER read about a female character who even remotely may resemble me because all of them are said to have "beautiful milky white skin" and "deep blue eyes" and "tiny body frame" and "vibrant red/blond hair". And that affects me more negatively than it sounds.

message 28: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

I didn't want that to sound negative towards you, Riya, I was just being negative to all the authors who have never dared to make their female main character look a bit different from all others.

message 29: by Juliet (new)

Juliet | 245 comments Amee wrote: "I didn't want that to sound negative towards you, Riya, I was just being negative to all the authors who have never dared to make their female main character look a bit different from all others."

Amee that's part of the reason why I love Eleanor & Park so much. There's different people from the usual super skinny, perfect hair, pretty clothes etc. Eleanor doesn't have any of those things, she has messy, very red hair and on the heavier side. I can relate so much more to her than America, Celaena, June, even Katniss.

message 30: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Juliet wrote: "Amee wrote: "I didn't want that to sound negative towards you, Riya, I was just being negative to all the authors who have never dared to make their female main character look a bit different from ..."

Red hair is pretty rare so I don't appreciate it that much on characters, but Eleanor does sound like one of those female characters done right. At least when it comes to general attractiveness and body shape. But the book's set in the 80's, so I'll cut it some slack. I'll have to read E&P, though, since it's getting a film adaption anyways... I hope they do cast someone who isn't completely perfect! I'll even be happy if they don't have vibrant red hair. As long as they have her body shape or messy hair or just look like normal people I'm fine.

message 31: by Juliet (last edited Aug 08, 2014 02:30PM) (new)

Juliet | 245 comments It seems like everybody in books has red hair! >_< (Clary, Eleanor, Scarlet, and America) I only know two people in my grade who have red hair. The only other person I know with it is my cousin. 1-2% of people in the world have red hair, in books it's like 25%
Eleanor & Park will be a great movie only if they do it right.

message 32: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

As long as Eleanor is NOT played by Bella Thorne or anyone similar looking, I will be fine with it. Maybe. Gosh, it would be so gross if Bella Thorne was Eleanor... I'm just thinking about it now... like... no

message 33: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (last edited Aug 08, 2014 02:37PM) (new)

Also, please no more Shailene Woodley. She's a good actress, but she plays literally everyone.

message 34: by Juliet (new)

Juliet | 245 comments :P like you said before, body image. What does that say about girls if everyone is played by skinny people? You can't get anywhere in life unless you're skinny? Horrible.
I like Shai but you're right xD kind of sick of her right now.

message 35: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Like, Shai and Ansel literally starred in the same movies together... like seriously... you can't find anyone else?

message 36: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

And not only that. It also makes it as if fat people don't exist. They never get mentioned or represented or anything

message 37: by Juliet (last edited Aug 08, 2014 02:51PM) (new)

Juliet | 245 comments It's the hate people get because for their body that really makes me upset. I've seen nasty comments on Jennifer Lawrence's body. "Oh she's fat." SHE IS NOT FAT! People nowadays don't even know what that word means anymore. She is perfectly healthy!

message 38: by Juliet (new)

Juliet | 245 comments Amee wrote: "And not only that. It also makes it as if fat people don't exist. They never get mentioned or represented or anything"

I wouldn't say that. People like Melissa Marcarthy and Jonah Hill have been successful. But they are part of the minority. :P

message 39: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Juliet wrote: "Amee wrote: "And not only that. It also makes it as if fat people don't exist. They never get mentioned or represented or anything"

I wouldn't say that. People like Melissa Marcarthy and Jonah Hil..."

I mean like, in books. Fat people rarely get mentioned in books

message 40: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (last edited Aug 08, 2014 03:39PM) (new)

Juliet wrote: "It's the hate people get because for their body that really makes me upset. I've seen nasty comments on Jennifer Lawrence's body. "Oh she's fat." SHE IS NOT FAT! People nowadays don't even know wha..."

yes, celebrities with perfectly normal bodies, like Jennifer Lawrence, Kesha, and others. Kesha got so much hate because of a picture of her in a bikini, she developed an eating disorder! And she's a pretty controlled person who's got her stuff together and doesn't usually care what people think! It really shows how society can really mess with a person's mind.
Also, Jennifer Lawrence works out for movies all the time I believe and has always been cared for because she started her career pretty early, and she was a model, so... I don't really see how anyone can consider her out of shape? I wouldn't even say she's chubby. She just has curves. Since when do curves=fat???

message 41: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Amee wrote: "And not only that. It also makes it as if fat people don't exist. They never get mentioned or represented or anything"

EXACTLYYY. I hate that!

message 42: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Amee wrote: "Juliet wrote: "It's the hate people get because for their body that really makes me upset. I've seen nasty comments on Jennifer Lawrence's body. "Oh she's fat." SHE IS NOT FAT! People nowadays don'..."

Yeah Kesha is a perfect example of what calling someone fat (who is most definitely not!) does! Im glad such big celebs as Jen and Kesha have average bodies because they aren't the society version of what celebs are suppose to look like.
JEN IS NOT FAT. Shes freakin beautiful and so small. I don't get it.

message 43: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (last edited Aug 08, 2014 07:24PM) (new)

Jordyn wrote: "Amee wrote: "Juliet wrote: "It's the hate people get because for their body that really makes me upset. I've seen nasty comments on Jennifer Lawrence's body. "Oh she's fat." SHE IS NOT FAT! People ..."

I know! It also sometimes annoys me when she plays along with the idea of being "fat" and emphasizes how she isn't thin, when she shouldn't really be doing that... I mean, if Jen is fat, then what the heck are we supposed to call people who are actually fat?

message 44: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Well I'm kind of glad Jen jokes about herself and not saying how skinny she is. But your right! Exactly I have no clue!

message 45: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

I'm not saying it's bad that she does it, but she should not completely overdo it, because, yeah.

message 46: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Yeah true

message 47: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Amee wrote: "Riya wrote: "Amee wrote: "Jordyn wrote: "Amee wrote: "Bella wrote: "I hate to be picky about movie castings; obviously, they can't perfectly recreate the author's image, but I think Tobias could ha..."

That's actually such a good point. There's definitely a huge portion of ethnic diversity that is missing from YA literature. I think that was another refreshing part about Legend- they were Asian, and this wasn't forced in your face but it came up often enough that you knew it.

message 48: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Riya wrote: "Amee wrote: "Riya wrote: "Amee wrote: "Jordyn wrote: "Amee wrote: "Bella wrote: "I hate to be picky about movie castings; obviously, they can't perfectly recreate the author's image, but I think To..."

It's a shame a lot of people dismiss it as "another" YA dystopia, when it sounds like it deserves all the hype it can get :/ I really wish promising books or series like it weren't often dismissed like that. We need to give books with diverse casts more hype!

message 49: by Juliet (new)

Juliet | 245 comments Amee wrote: "Riya wrote: "Amee wrote: "Riya wrote: "Amee wrote: "Jordyn wrote: "Amee wrote: "Bella wrote: "I hate to be picky about movie castings; obviously, they can't perfectly recreate the author's image, b..."

I loved Legend so much! It deserves as much hype as Divergent, THG, and TMI. I couldn't stop reading it, I spent five days just reading, and reading, and reading the Legend series.

message 50: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Amee wrote: "Riya wrote: "Amee wrote: "Riya wrote: "Amee wrote: "Jordyn wrote: "Amee wrote: "Bella wrote: "I hate to be picky about movie castings; obviously, they can't perfectly recreate the author's image, b..."

Exactly! I don't get why Legend isn't as popular as other YA books, because it's definitely one of the BEST ones I've ever read. It's completely better than THG and Divergent- whole different league even.