The Great American Read discussion

Nominations and Suggestions 2018 > Nominations - Aug -Oct - "Big Book" - Lonesome Dove

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 01, 2018 10:28PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Edit - July 1. The winner is Lonesome Dove. Because some members are already reading it, I moved up the start date to July 15, and I'm opening a discussion thread today. Let me know if you'd like to facilitate, or suggest a way to divide the chapters for the read.

----------------------------------------------------------------
The Big Book nominations will remain open until Sunday July 1
--------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you said you want to read War and Peace or another long classic, but you haven't gotten around to it yet. Social support is a very powerful tool to help give us that little push to get moving on a goal, so let's get started!

Which book do you really want to read this summer (and going into fall). We'll allow 2 or 3 months for the group read and discussion. We will have another long read in the winter.

Copy and paste the ones you would be interested in reading. Make your first choice clear. I will assign 2 points to your first choice, and 1 point to any others. If we get a sufficient number of nomination votes, and there is a clear winner, we'll have an answer quickly. If not, I'll set up a poll. We could open it up as early as July 15. This will allow time to finish it before the voting ends in October (Mid-October I think).

Here are the longest books on the list:

Title , Number of pages, average rating

* War and Peace 1392 4.11
*The Count of Monte Cristo 1276 4.23
Atlas Shrugged 1168 3.68
The Stand 1153 4.34
Gone with the Wind 1037 4.28
The Pillars of the Earth 973 4.3
Swan Song 956 4.28
Lonesome Dove 945 4.48
*Don Quixote 940 3.86
* International (others might be too)- Russia, France, Spain

Please don't vote unless there is a pretty good chance you'll participate.

message 2: by Ella (last edited Jun 27, 2018 09:06PM) (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments I will participate if one of the following gets chosen. I know that sounds really rude, but I don't want to read 1000 pages of something I don't want to read (make sense?)

And here are my choices in order (any of these are fine.)

Lonesome Dove
War and Peace
The Count of Monte Cristo
Don Quixote
Gone with the Wind

Thanks for putting all of this together, Nancy.

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) My first and only choice is Lonesome Dove. I started watching the mini-series today and I’m all in! Sorry I can’t be more flexible.

message 4: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2018 12:39AM) (new)

No need to apologize! We're only going to read a book together if enough people WANT to read the same book. This isn't school, right? (And since you all mentioned Lonesome Dove earlier, I've been thinking I might rent it or Grapes of Wrath next week in case it rains when my brother comes to visit. )

I haven't decided yet if I'll read a big book this summer. I really want to read War and Peace, but for some reason when I picture myself reading it, there is a fireplace next to me and the dog at my feet.

message 5: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela | 5 comments Does the book have to be on the GAR list?

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane I have Pillars of the Earth on my To Read list - so I vote for that one. Lonesome Dove (which is the highest rated on Goodreads) also sounds interesting as my second choice.

Thanks for organizing this!

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I will add a 2nd choice: Pillars of the Earth.
I was planning on reading it this year for a challenge in another group.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Sandoval | 1 comments New member here! Just jumped into the book club yesterday and am looking forward to getting started with a big book. My top two choices:

1. Don Quixote - I’ve read excerpts in school but have never read the whole book.
2. Lonesome Dove - This looks like a really great book!

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin (erin814) | 20 comments I will likely participate no matter what title is chosen. I'm most looking forward to reading Lonesome Dove, The Stand, and Gone with the Wind.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to read the whole series https://www.goodreads.com/series/49395
so I vote for Lonesome Dove

message 11: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2018 01:29PM) (new)

Gabriela wrote: "Does the book have to be on the GAR list?"

Yes, right now we're only reading books on the GAR list. As time goes on, we may expand outward (starting with a few of the author's most notable books).

message 12: by Linda (last edited Jun 28, 2018 01:34PM) (new)

Linda  | 915 comments I've read many of the long ones, and wouldn't prioritize re-reading them over reading a new one.
So my first choice: Count of Monte Cristo
Second choice: War and Peace (like Nancy, I see it as a winter read, but also know that when winter comes, I'll get busy. I think I may have even bombed a chance to read this with a different group due to work.)
Third choice: Don Q. Like Amanda, I've read bits and pieces, but never sat down and read the whole thing in one shot, in order.

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee Freeman (reneefreeman) | 12 comments Pillars of the earth has been on my tbr list for awhile

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I vote for Gone With The Wind. But I'm flexible.

message 15: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
I'll read whatever the consensus is!

message 16: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Amanda wrote: "New member here! Just jumped into the book club yesterday and am looking forward to getting started with a big book. My top two choices:

1. Don Quixote - I’ve read excerpts in school but have neve..."

Welcome Amanda!
In the meantime, we're reading and discussing two great books now. Join us!

message 17: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 01, 2018 02:09PM) (new)

Summary as of 7/1 5:10 pm

* War and Peace == Ella, Linda, Nancy
*The Count of Monte Cristo == Linda *, Ella, Nancy
Atlas Shrugged ==
The Stand == Erin, Lynn
Gone with the Wind == Kirsten* Ella, Erin,
The Pillars of the Earth == Diane*, Renee*,Lynn*, Pam
Swan Song ==
Lonesome Dove == Ella,* Pam*, Karen*, Erin* Diane, Amanda, Jacinta, Nancy
*Don Quixote == Amanda*, Ella, Linda, Nancy

Open - Erin, Kirsten, J,

* first choice

Lonesome Dove is in the lead, so you might want to check library availability.

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Pillars of the Earth-1st choice
The Stand- 2nd choice

message 19: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

I'm very surprised that I can't find large print editions of some of the older books, even on Amazon. Large print books have been around for a long time, so what gives? At the library today, I saw a (paperback size) 440 page edition of the Count of Monte Cristo. The print was so small, I don't think I could have read it with a magnifying glass.

Somehow, sitting by the fireplace with my 17" laptop on my lap, wasn't how I pictured myself reading War and Peace or Count of Monte Cristo. Fortunately the kindles are very cheap, and the library has a lot of Ebooks.

message 20: by Jacinta (new)

Jacinta | 70 comments Lonesome Dove...I never heard of it before now, but it's so well rated and so many people are interested, I'd like to give it a try.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Nancy, I have vision problems. If my library doesn't have it in LP and I don't want to buy the ebook ... I don't read the book.

message 22: by Paula (last edited Jun 30, 2018 06:45PM) (new)

Paula I hoped to chime in sooner than this and I see it's not too late. I've read most of the books on this list and would recommend all those which I have read. Most likely I will not be participating in this particular group read since I have other books that must be read for research and because of my writing responsibilities.

I encourage you all in your Big Book read and if you pick Lonesome Dove, I don't think you'll be disappointed. The story, the settings, the characters, and the pace all make for an enjoyable ride. And if you've read the synopsis, you know it's literally a Ride. The first true 'cowboy' story I ever read, it pleasantly surprised me. I might never have picked it up had I not been working my way through the Pulitzer winners.

I will stop by the Big Book thread and see what you decide on and what you are all saying about whatever book is being discussed. Happy Reading!

message 23: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. The Count of Monte Cristo - 1st choice
Lonesome Dove
The Pillars of the Earth

message 24: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Karen wrote: "I want to read the whole series https://www.goodreads.com/series/49395
so I vote for Lonesome Dove"

The nice thing about the older books is that you can get the ebooks for next to nothing, and you'll have many choices. I think librovox (not sure if I spelled that right) also has them.

message 25: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

My choices,

Count of Monte Cristo
Lonesome Dove
Don Quixote
War and Peace

I loved the Pillars of the Earth, and I might re-read it along with the sequel(s?) some day.

message 26: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

And the winner is >>>>>> Lonesome Dove

Some are already reading it, so I'll open the first (pre-read) discussion thread now.

Who already has the book? Are there any logical sections or chapter divisions? I'd like to break the discussion into 3 or 4 threads, or whatever makes the most sense. What do you think?

Who would like to facilitate the discussion - for the first thread at least?

message 27: by Parker (new)

Parker | 204 comments I read this after watching the mini series. Best I remember, it's pretty straightforward. No real logical breaks. By the way, the whole series is fantastic!

message 28: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

OK great. Do you know how many chapters it has?

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I decided to buy the ebook

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Nancy, I would be interested in leading the discussion

message 31: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Karen, Nancy and I would LOVE it if you'd do that. Thank you so much. I'll get together w/ Nancy and we'll either set up a folder for you or discussion threads or whatever you need. Please tell us if you have preferences - both of us get messages pretty quickly. Thanks!

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:02PM) (new)

Well, if you could set up the folder then I can add/create threads as I need them.

August 1 thru Sept 30 -- right?

Do you want me to break the reading schedule into weekly threads? Monthly? Chef's Choice? Lol

message 33: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) It has 3 parts w a total of 102 chapters.

message 34: by Paula (last edited Jul 01, 2018 08:37PM) (new)

Paula Pam wrote: "It has 3 parts w a total of 102 chapters."

Idea: it might be nice if, along with going according to chapter breaks, you count pages so each week has approximately the same number of pages in it. (is that explained clearly enough? sometimes writing something isn't as clear as it should be.)

I like to be able to do it this way. Page counts, I mean, while being able to finish X number of chapters.

message 35: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

NancyJ wrote: "And the winner is >>>>>> Lonesome Dove

Some are already reading it, so I'll open the first (pre-read) discussion thread now.

Who already has the book? Are there any logical sections or chapter ..."

I have the book! Will probably start it once I finish Outlander.

message 36: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 01, 2018 10:30PM) (new)

Karen wrote: "Well, if you could set up the folder then I can add/create threads as I need them.

Do you want me to break the reading schedule into weekly threads? Monthly? Chef..."

Awesome. Karen, thanks! Let's talk about the specifics in the next day or so. I'll set up the folder and a pre-read thread soon.

Thanks Pam for the info - how many pages in each section?

Paula, how many pages per week is a reasonable amount (allowing an extra 1-2 weeks at the end for catch-up and to discuss spoilers)? (It's not too late to adjust the end date.)

I was going to start August 1, but since some people are already reading it, I thought I'd bump it up a little. I'll open a folder soon. I set up the dates of the read (on the group's shelf) as July 15- October 1, but we can extend the end date. (The last PBS show will be in October, so some might want to finish by then.)

[Initial thoughts: I was anticipating about 4 threads, based on other reads I've seen. Weekly threads is too frequent imo, especially since it's hard for people to stay on the same schedule. (I find it difficult to write comments when I have to stay within a narrow page range, especially if few people are on the thread.) Regardless of how many threads we set up, we can give a weekly guideline re page numbers, with the full understanding that it's OK to be ahead or behind.]

Thanks everyone!

Feel free to continue to make suggestions or requests.

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 02, 2018 06:25AM) (new)

Well, set up the folder and I'll create the threads. 4 threads over 14 weeks is about once a month. About 70 pgs and 8 chapters per week.

Once the folder is created I'll post the reading schedule.

message 38: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Part 1 is 228 Pages. Part 2 is 355 Pages. Part 3 is 269 pages. Chapters are between 6-12 pages.

message 39: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 02, 2018 07:28AM) (new)

If we went from July 15 to Oct 1, we'd have 11 weeks rather than 14. Would it be too much to schedule about 90 pages per week for 10 weeks, plus 1 extra week (or more) for discussion?

If people started reading July 15 (I think many would start sooner), we could give a rough guideline to read Part 1 from July 15-Aug 4), Part 2 in August, Part 3 Sept 1-22, and allow the rest of the time for a final discussion. We might want 5 or 6 discussion threads - e.g. Preread (including first 50 or so pages), finish part1, part 2a, part 2 b, part 3 a, part 3 b spoilers.

What does everyone think? Do you need more than 10-11 weeks?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good Nancy

message 41: by Paula (new)

Paula NancyJ wrote: "Karen wrote: "Well, if you could set up the folder then I can add/create threads as I need them.

Do you want me to break the reading schedule into weekly threads? ..."

I really have no concrete advice on how many pages to read per week. I agree with your remark, "we can give a weekly guideline re page numbers, with the full understanding that it's OK to be ahead or behind." We all read at different speeds. I always use the threads as a guideline, not a rule. I see the threads as helpful, but, like you, have a hard time keeping up with a large number of them. Lately, I've seen so many threads on the GAR I get overwhelmed. That does not, however, keep me from reading the books I want to read. :>)

message 42: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I suggest breaking it up by chapters, rather than pages. Part 1 has 25 chapters. Part II is 26-74. Part III is 75-102. I think the allotted time is fine. I plan on finishing it in Aug, so I can count it for a quarterly challenge, but I don’t want to rush anyone. If we have threads that correspond to chapters then we shouldn’t have spoiler problems. I think if you are posting ahead of the designated reading period, then mark your comment with spoiler tags.

message 43: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments I don't want to have too many threads - that could be confusing and actually be more difficult to participate in. What if we divided it into this thread (pre-read) and one thread each for the three parts, then just after we've finished as a group, continue on in the final thread w/ overall thoughts? I'm just throwing this out, not having read it before. (Also page numbers in various editions could be different, and for those who decide on audio or eBook, it could be tough too.)

One of the groups I belong to uses just one thread for every book and whoever is running the discussion starts with "we're talking about chapters w-x" then later they add "we're now moving to everything through chapter y" then at the end, now we're opening up for the entire book" or things like that. It tends to make a very long thread, but it is easy to find and you always know where the group is. (OTOH, sometimes people don't follow the spoiler rules.)

Just throwing out thoughts here - you do what you want. I'm just excited to finally be about to read this book!

message 44: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

NancyJ wrote: "If we went from July 15 to Oct 1, we'd have 11 weeks rather than 14. Would it be too much to schedule about 90 pages per week for 10 weeks, plus 1 extra week (or more) for discussion?

If people st..."

10-11 weeks seems reasonable

message 45: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 02, 2018 08:05PM) (new)

Thanks everyone!

The Pre-read thread is in the Lonesome Dove Folder, just below the Current Reads folder. Karen will facilitate the discussion. She will set up the discussion threads, and they'll all be together in one folder, so they'll be easy to find.

The official read dates are July 15- October 1, but you can start early and post after October 1.

Preliminary reading guidelines:
Read Part 1 by August 1
Read Part 2 by Sept 1
Read Part 3 by Sept 22

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds great, Nancy

message 47: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 21 comments I'm looking forward to reading this. I have a paper copy and also the Audible version. I have a coupe other books to read/listen to first, though.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group read Tom! I started reading last night and I think it's going to be a fantastic read.