What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Angel Cake
This topic is about Angel Cake
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Childrens (8-12). Immigrant family to UK, from Poland? Older sister, younger brother. Stolen shoes at Christmas. Purple cover? [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cally (new) - added it

Cally | 29 comments - book read about 10-12 years ago.
- older sister (12-13) younger brother (8-10)
- new to UK (London?) possibly from Poland (though maybe elsehwhere)
- struggle fitting in at school
- main focus on older sister (possibly from her perspective/narration).
- they leave their shoes out before christmas to get presents as it is a custom in their ‘old’ country, but they get stolen. Too scared to tell parents (poor- not enough money for new shoes), so go to school in slippers and get teased.
- boy at school finds out and buys them new shoes
- parents don’t notice the new shoes

Many thanks if found :)

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36610 comments Mod
Cally, what's the time period of the story?

Can you describe the struggles the kids face at school?

message 3: by Cally (new) - added it

Cally | 29 comments Not too sure about time period. It seemed fairly modern when I read it. Also school struggles were basically bullying and dislike because they were polish. All the details I remember really :)

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments How certain are you that it was brother and not sister? Angel Cake appears to have that shoes scene: 8th question of the quiz here: http://cathycassidydreamcatcher.blogs... and the review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 5: by Cally (new) - added it

Cally | 29 comments OMG thank you!!! I had remembered it as brother and sister but was obvs wrong. This is the book. Thank you so much! Funny thing is I think I might still own it in storage.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Angel Cake (other topics)