Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2019] 2nd Mini-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 27, 2018 07:19PM) (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
The results are in!

Top 2:
- A book off of the 1001 books to read before you die list
- A speculative fiction (ie fantasy, scifi, horror, dystopia)

Bottom 2:
- A book about a dog
- A book written by an author that has the same birthday (not including year) as you.

Close Calls:
- A book by an author from an island

Polarizing:
- A book related to your zodiac sign

Results are calculated by subtracting the number of voters who put a prompt in their bottom 4 from those who put a prompt in their top 4 (top 4 - bottom 4). The totals are then compared to find the top result(s).

Important Message:
- It came to my attention in this poll that some members voted multiple times. Yes, I can tell when there are multiple votes by a single person. It is time consuming to go through and identify these duplicates so please, pretty please, only vote one time per poll. I know I pride myself, as do many members, that our list is generated entirely by our members. If one person votes multiple times (*cough* or 20) then it jeopardizes that process.

The second round of suggestions will open tomorrow, June 28, at 9:00am EST.

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 27, 2018 07:26PM) (new)

Total number of (unique) votes: 116

As I looked more closely at the results this week, I found it exciting how many locations our votes are coming from. I thought some may also be interested in the list:
- Norway
- Unites States
- Australia
- Netherlands
- Spain
- United Kingdom
- Canada
- China
- France
- Denmark
- Ireland
- Russia
- Lithuania
- Chile
- Hungary
- Germany
- Poland
- Switzerland

message 3: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Yikes, sorry you had to deal with that. Hopefully, everyone will play by the rules and make things easier for you going forward.

I'm confused though since I thought 4 topics were selected from each poll, is it only 2?

message 4: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2023 comments Wow, I hope that you don't have to deal with people voting multiple times again.

I'm also kinda confused about there being only a top 2 with there only being one topic that is a close call. Wouldn't that make it a top three?

message 5: by Nicole (last edited Jun 27, 2018 07:47PM) (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Wow, I can’t believe people voted more than once (or 20 times!). That equates to trying to cheat, at least in my opinion, and that makes so much extra work for you. I’m so sorry you had to deal with that, but hopefully the person(s) know now that you can tell they’ve done that and that you will not count their multiple votes, so they won’t do it again.

As to the poll results, I was way off from the main group this time. The close call (a book by an author from an island) was in my top 4, but other than that, none of my top or bottom choices are anywhere in the results. Interesting... I think I will easily be able to find books to fill the two winning prompts, though, so I’m good.

message 6: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 27, 2018 07:57PM) (new)

I strongly considered including the island topic in the top but there was a larger gap between #2 and #3 than I typically like to see. The island prompt had 31 votes so only about a quarter of the voters. Then there was a larger gap between that and #4 so I just kept it at the top 2.

I personally think it's better to conduct more polls than to be strict about including 4, if they don't have a large support in the votes. But if people do like the island prompt then it definitely would be a good one to resubmit, in my opinion.

message 7: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2023 comments That makes sense Laura.

message 8: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Thanks much for the clarification!

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2820 comments I think it may be worthwhile to post (if it hasn't been done already) a refresher thread about how the voting process works. We've seen several mistakes so far, which mostly seem to be newer members who don't know the rules yet (ie. suggesting or seconding, multiple voting, etc.). I know the rules have been clearly laid out before, but considering this kind of confusion keeps happening, I think another refresher couldn't hurt.

As for the results themselves -- I'm fine with them, but only the speculative fiction was in my top 4 (and the island prompt would have been 5th for me). The 1001 books list was actually a bottom vote for me since after looking through the list extensively, I was surprised to find very few options that I was actually both interested in and realistically motivated to read.

message 10: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Each voting poll has this posted:

The Process:
The topics for the 2019 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll, which will then add up to the 52 topics (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15-20 suggestions are received+seconded. Then a poll will be opened for voting for one week so you can select your 4 favorite suggestions. This timeframe allows for a completed list in October-November.

The Rules:
- Vote for your TOP 4 and BOTTOM 4 - You are allowed to vote for less than 4
- Voting ends (date)
- One vote per poll per user

Is there something missing from this that you think would be included in a refresher?

message 11: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1554 comments Mod
The zodiac sign made my top, but otherwise none of my tops or bottoms made an appearance. I think this round we just had a lot of great ideas so votes were more spread. Guess that means we'll be seeing some of these again later on, which I won't mind at all ;)

Sorry you had to deal with that. I'm sure every once in while somebody will have a glitch where they hit submit twice and both manage to go through, but 20 times goes beyond a weird fluke.

message 12: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2023 comments My tops did not make the list but I like the winners, I hope. I just glanced at the books on the 1001 list and figured I'd look more closely if it won.

I did not even notice this one was on the list 'A book about a dog.' I was wondering why several people where discussing not caring for books about dogs/animals. I thought maybe they were just giving a heads up for future suggestions.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2820 comments Laura wrote: "Each voting poll has this posted:

The Process:
The topics for the 2019 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll, ..."

Honestly, I think that makes it pretty clear, so I'm not sure why there has been so much confusion. Maybe put "one vote per poll per user" in bold or something to make it a little more obvious?

Out of curiosity, how can you tell when multiple votes are from the same person and not just several people who happen to have the exact same tastes?

message 14: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1554 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "Laura wrote: "Each voting poll has this posted:

The Process:
The topics for the 2019 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in ea..."

Just a guess, but you can probably see IP addresses. So 20 people with the exact same tastes would all have to be using the same computer to enter in their votes.

message 15: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Yes, you can see IP address so I used excel to identify duplicates.

message 16: by Marie (new)

Marie | 823 comments How do you know the locations of the voters? It's definitely interesting to see where we're all voting from, but I'm curious since I'm in Bermuda and that's not on the list.

message 17: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 743 comments Does anyone have a spreadsheet of the 1001 books list they would be willing to share? I’d love to do various sortings to compare it to my TBR list. Thanks in advance.

message 18: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2978 comments I hope you won't have to deal with other multiple votes Laura, you have enough work to do with the polls/votes, sorting the results when a same person voted 20times is an horror movie! I suppose there are poll websites where people have to log before voting, but it'd be a chore for everybody.

So far, the list is nice, maybe a little broad overall (I started to look at what I could use), but we'll have some narrow categories later. I expected another top list because the 1001 is very big and there were other suggested that were good, but I'll check what it's in it and in my TBR.

message 19: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I will fess up on the first round to probably voting twice. I hit the back arrow to get back to goodreads but it just looked like I hadn't voted. I knew not to do that this time. Doing that 20 times would take some trying!

message 20: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I recommend if you are looking at the 1001 list and you like newer books to start at the end of the list. I tend to use the listchallenge.com version. The goodreads list has over 1300 books on their 1001 list.

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie I like the winning choices.

Speculative fiction was one of my top choices. It's one of my favorite genres, so it'll be easy for me to find something on my TBR list. A good excuse to read Stephen King, perhaps.

I don't remember if I voted for the 1001 list or not, but it was definitely one I was interested in.

message 22: by Elise (new)

Elise (theblackhorizon) Here's a spreadsheet for the 1001 books. I didn't make it, and I can't remember where I found it in order to give credit, but it probably came from the 1001 group here on GR.

There are 1300+ books on it because some were deleted and more were added during the list's revisions.

message 23: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 808 comments Laura I did the same thing as Tammy so sorry about that, won't happen again!

I voted for 1001 books since most of them I have not read. I put rhe speculative fiction prompt in my bottom because i assumed it meant really hard core sci fi but im thinking i didnt research it enough so im okay with it making the list.

message 24: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments I don't remember my bottom 4, but in my top four were the speculative fiction, the 1001 list and the author from an island, so I am really happy with the results! 😊

message 25: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Only two? I thought we were getting four results?

At least 50% of my reading is speculative fiction so that's gonna be a super easy prompt to fill. In fact, I didn't even vote for it because it's such a hugely open category for me.

message 26: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2978 comments Dalex > As already explained by Laura, there are 4 results when the votes are clear. It sometimes happens that we have #3 and #4 with good top votes but lots of bottom votes too, so it doesn't seem right to include them in the final list.
To give an example, we can have the winning prompts with 40 tops and 10 bottoms (so it's a final 30) and then a middle ground with something like 25 tops and 15 bottoms (so it's a 10). The "winning" bottoms usually have a negative number at the end (like -20).
Depending the suggestions, the number of winners can vary, we aim at 4 but it can be 2 or 5 and then we adjust the number of polls :)

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth | 417 comments I'm ok with the results overall. Speculative fiction isn't really up my alley but it's fairly broad so I should be able to find something for that. The author from an island was in my top so hoping that one gets resubmitted!

message 28: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 814 comments Elise wrote: "Here's a spreadsheet for the 1001 books. I didn't make it, and I can't remember where I found it in order to give credit, but it probably came from the 1001 group here on GR.

There are 1300+ books..."

Great results! I am glad the 1001 list made it, as I am already reading from it, lots off books to choose from :-)

Thanks for the excel, Elise! :) Very handy.
There is also an app that can be downloaded, it's great it you are reading from the list to mark your progress and get statistics. (Even though mine is telling there is no way I can manage to read all the books on the list before I die, haha. But that's not my goal anyhow;)

message 29: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments This is unprecedented! My votes exactly align with the winners & losers!

The PBS Great American Read voting system allows for multiple votes - I think they even encourage daily voting, so it's possible that one or more of our members were confused by that and thought this group voted the same way? Or, someone was just cheating.

message 30: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 28, 2018 04:04AM) (new)

Tammy and Veronica, those mistakes were pretty clear since they were either back to back or only a partial answer. Mistakes happen!

I just want to be clear that people can't vote every day or multiple times like the PBS system, as Nadine pointed out.

message 31: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3280 comments Voting wise one of my top 4 won (1001 books), one was a close call and one was polarizing. The polarizing topic was one I suggested so I was a bit disappointed about that but if people don't like it then I am fine with it not being chosen.

As for the multiple votes..... That is very disappointing. Since there is no way at this point to tell if it were intentional or a mistake I will assume it was a mistake. Hopefully that person reads the boards, realizes their error and won't do it again. Thank you Laura for catching the error and fixing it. That must have been stressful for you. Hopefully for everyone's sake the voting process will go much smoother from here on out.

message 32: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3280 comments Also for the 1001 books prompt here is the list that includes all the works from the 3 editions of the list that have been so far published

https://1001bookreviews.com/the-1001-...

message 33: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 28, 2018 04:35AM) (new)

Marie, the survey platform gives a location for each response. I'm assuming it's determined by IP address in some way but it appears to be very broad. Maybe Bermuda shows up as United Kingdom?

message 34: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8324 comments Mod
Wow, I'm surprised by these results. I guess we always end up having a choice from a "best of" list, but I'm surprised it showed up this early in the process. I guess I'll be doing some research on speculative fiction... not my normal read, but I didn't downvote it.

It's interesting that the bottom were the two we were discussing in depth in the previous thread. I wonder if those votes were a byproduct of our discussion.

message 35: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Amy, thank you for that link! I'm going to add that link to our community spreadsheet on the planning tab for anyone who is participating.

message 36: by Marie (new)

Marie | 823 comments Laura wrote: "Marie, the survey platform gives a location for each response. I'm assuming it's determined by IP address in some way but it appears to be very broad. Maybe Bermuda shows up as United Kingdom?"

Might be the Triangle, confusing things :) I wish it'd do the same with Netflix, I'd much rather they thought I was in the UK, or even better the US.

None of my top choices made it :( But I'm happy with the top two - I only didn't vote for them because I had so many books that fit them, especially speculative fiction.

message 37: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments I don’t think the 2 on the bottom were a product of the discussion. Every year there is discussion about some topics and they don’t always line up with the way the votes turn out. People tend to like options that give them more freedom to read different genres or that are more open to interpretation. Those two options were pretty restrictive.

message 38: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments Tammy wrote: "I recommend if you are looking at the 1001 list and you like newer books to start at the end of the list. I tend to use the listchallenge.com version. The goodreads list has over 1300 books on thei..."

Thanks, Tammy! Your tip meant I went to the end to start looking. But I only saw 1000 books, not 1001 (not that 1000 isn't enough to choose from!).

message 39: by Tammy (last edited Jun 28, 2018 07:30AM) (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Yep, I seem to recall it does stop at 1000, Cheri. I like the listchallenge version because you can check off the books you've read as you go and it tracks your percentage of books read and where you rank against other people tracking. It says I've read 15% and am ranked 532 out of 10,000+ users. It is fun and nerdy.

message 40: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1048 comments Laura wrote: "The results are in!

Top 2:
- A book off of the 1001 books to read before you die list
- A speculative fiction (ie fantasy, scifi, horror, dystopia)

Bottom 2:
- A book about a dog
- A book wri..."

Laura, I am so sorry but I think I may have voted twice. I knew I had voted but directly afterwards had trouble with my computer, when it was straightened out I went to see the poll and thought if I clicked on the survey link it would stop me voting if I had already done so. As it didn't stop me I assumed that my vote hadn't registered so I went through it again. I had no idea that this was the case. Pleases accept my apologizes for causing extra work for you.

message 41: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments I just wanted to point out (especially for those who have said they are not a fan of speculative fiction) that this does not have to be "space ships and dragons."

One definition describes it as "a broad literary genre encompassing any fiction with supernatural, fantastical, or futuristic elements."

So something with just the teeniest bit of that would count. One example I can think of is The Unseen World by Liz Moore. It is basically just literary fiction but artificial intelligence is central to the plot and there's a wee bit of futurism at the end. (And it's a fantastic book, imo.)

message 42: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

dalex wrote: "I just wanted to point out (especially for those who have said they are not a fan of speculative fiction) that this does not have to be "space ships and dragons."

One definition describes it as "..."

I was concerned at first, but as I did more research, I realized how broad it is. I really like magical realism, and that falls under speculative fiction, as well as all fantasy and dystopian books. I think there's something for everyone in this (unless you just love only nonfiction, I guess).

message 43: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Jun 28, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

Apparently (according to Amy's link), the 1001 list has been revised twice, which is why Goodreads has 1300 books on the list. In 2008 and again in 2010, they removed some books and added new ones. I'm compiling all of the lists into my spreadsheet, if anyone wants to take a look (or steal it for your own spreadsheeting purposes). It's the second to last tab at the bottom and will be divided by list edit and by year published, like Amy's list does.

(It's still a work in progress, but should be complete in a few hours)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna | 975 comments Laura wrote: "Each voting poll has this posted:

The Process:
The topics for the 2019 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll, ..."

One thing that's missing is that a person gets to suggest a topic OR second a topic.

Laura My daughter and I both take part in the AtY challenge, from the same IP address (but we didn't vote for the exact same topics!) :)

message 46: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments I almost voted twice because when the link was posted in the announcements I just clicked through and about halfway realized I’d done it before. I have two young children and I don’t sleep much so for me such things are more likely than most! I do think I caught it and it shouldn’t have submitted.

message 47: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments I’m super happy about the winning two prompts. Both excite me.

message 48: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments I don’t think I voted for the island one, but I do actually think it’s pretty cool.

message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2484 comments I didn't vote for the top two but speculative fiction was 5th or 6th for me. I didn't pick the 1001 Books prompt but I already read off that list so it should be easy.

I voted for the zodiac prompt. Thought it'd be fun to search for books.

message 50: by Kathy (last edited Jun 28, 2018 09:32AM) (new)

Kathy | 2484 comments Nadine wrote: "Popular Speculative Fiction that's not too sci-fi:
Station Eleven
The Wolves of Winter
The Snow Child
The Bear and the Nightingale
[..."

I've owned The Round House for a long time. Maybe I'll read it for this prompt.

« previous 1