The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Monthly Genre Challenge 2018 > July - Young Adult/Middle Grade

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (last edited Jun 27, 2018 05:37PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 4045 comments Mod
This month we will be reading books aimed at readers from the ages 11 to 18. This includes many great books that can be enjoyed at any age. You can select any genre-mystery, fantasy, historical fiction, etc. as long as they were written for these age groups.
I hope everyone enjoys this month's genre, because there are so many terrific books to choose from.

message 2: by Glennis (last edited Jul 12, 2018 05:40PM) (new)

Glennis | 138 comments Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry is on my list.... I have a 2nd if time permits. On day 3 of an 8 day stretch. But then....I'm off the rest of the summer!

Finished on 7/11... Loved it for what it is...a bridge back to an un-pretty past.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

That sounds great, Glennis.
That book is on my to-read list as well.

message 4: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
I'm looking forward to some lighter reads this month in this genre. Not sure what I'll end up choosing yet, but there are plenty of options!

message 5: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments I started reading Emily of New Moon today. Until I joined Goodreads I hadn’t heard of the Emily books - but it’s very sweet so far & I’m pleased people here told me about them.

message 6: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone | 140 comments I am starting Grip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon Mull today. This is the third book in Mull's Fablehaven series and has been on my TBR pile for a while now.

message 7: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (last edited Jul 05, 2018 05:38AM) (new)

This is one of my favourite genres for summer reading.
I am glad you like Emily of New Moon, Trisha.
That sounds like an exciting series, Badlydone.

message 8: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Book 1: A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story by Linda Sue Park.

This book was inspired by a young man who helped found an organization to provide wells in South Sudan and tells of his experiences as a refugee until his safe arrival in Rochester.
I really enjoyed it.

message 9: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone | 140 comments I enjoyed A Long Walk to Water too. My son had to read it in elementary school as part of the Battle of the Books challenge. He did not enjoy it as much as he was into fantasy then, but I loved it!

message 10: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
I read First Test by Tamora Pierce, part of the beloved Tortall world.

message 11: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4728 comments Mod
I’m rereading Percy Jackson and the Olympians. It’s such a fun series!

message 12: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Those are a lot of fun, Renee. I like the second five books too.

message 13: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Agreed!! Even more than the first five, I think. Although, by the time the reader gets there so much is invested and we know the characters so well. Still, I think maybe there’s more character development.

message 14: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I felt the same way, Renee. I enjoyed the contrast between the Greek and Roman camps, too.

message 15: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Book 2: Stella by Starlight by Sharon M. Draper

Another good one. Historical fiction set in early 1930s North Carolina.

message 16: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Book 3: The Railway Children by E. Nesbit

I love this book!

message 17: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Jul 18, 2018 03:49AM) (new)

I’ve been wanting to read thay book since I was a kid. I really need to get to it. Especially with your good opinion.

message 18: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments I have been distracted from the monthly challenge by a present from my Mum, Vindolanda. It's a very exciting story. Tomorrow I am going to start The Prince of Mist, it sounds a bit scary to me. (I don't normally go for scary books)

message 19: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Sonia, that book is scary, but not too scary.

message 20: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Sonia, that book is scary, but not too scary."

Sometimes it seems like you have read everything Rosemarie!

message 21: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I have been reading for over 50 years! I started high school in 1966, so you can guess my age.

message 22: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments The Prince of Mist is a bit creepy. I'm glad it's my commute book and not my just-before-sleep book.

message 23: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I’m almost finished listening to the first 5 Percy Jackson books. They were great entertainment while I did chores chores around the house. :)

message 24: by Kay (new)

Kay Smeal | 99 comments Finished Magnus Chase Ship of the dead!! Love love love Rick Riordan! This book was a great book through and through probably the best of the series!

message 25: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone | 140 comments I finished Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon Mull. This is the third of five in Mull's Fablehaven series, and was a good read, even better than the first two. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

message 26: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I will not start another series, I will not start another series, I will not.....

But you are really tempting me, Kiersten and Badlydone!

message 27: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 946 comments Finished Hatchet for this month's genre - I really liked this story (survival tale in the Canadian wilderness)

message 28: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I liked Hatchet too, when I read it a few years ago. My daughter liked the sequels too, but I haven't read them yet.

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura | 48 comments I read Looking for Alaska this month - recommended by my niece

message 30: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

What did you think of Looking For Alaska?

message 31: by Candy (new)

Candy Tiley | 93 comments I read Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews. They had it on the Great American Read list and I had never read it. I thought it was very compelling and convincingly written from the perspective of a young girl.