SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Group Trilogy Discussions > 4th qtr 2014, Science Fiction Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 10, 2014 12:36PM) (new)

The first round of nominations for a fantasy read went well and resulted in two fantasy group reads - so hurray us! Now it's time to start discussing the nominations for the Science fiction group read to be done over the 4th quarter of this year - Oct, Nov & Dec.

Nominations are now open as you peruse your libraries for things you'd like to read and discuss, then we will vote on who is the most coolest geek in the school what we want to read next.

Here are my guidelines as they stand:

1. One Series a quarter; 3-books selected. If there are more than three books in the series, the three are selected before voting begins (So, maybe the first 3 of the Ender Quintet, let's say).
2. The series can include a book previously selected as a monthly selection (because, why not read the entire series?)
3. The Nominator is also the leader; unless other arrangements are made (always give an opening for extenuating circumstances)
4. Science Fiction & available as ebooks, of course.
5. No seconding is necessary, I think. If one is willing to moderate, then that would be sufficient ... :)
6. the discussion moderation can be as formal or informal as the moderator chooses; although a few topical questions are suggested.

So, make your series nominations and we'll see if this works out ... :)

Nominated Trilogies
1. Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space books 1-3 - Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap - Geoffrey
2. Philip K. Dick - The Valis Trilogy - VALIS, The Divine Invasion and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer - Greg
3. David Brin - The Uplift Saga - Sundiver, Startide Rising, and The Uplift War - Maggie
4. Isaac Asimov - Foundation Trilogy - Foundation, Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation - Clare
5. Octavia Butler - Xenogenesis Trilogy - Dawn, Adulthood Rites and Imago - Athena
6. Simon Morden - The Petrovitch Trilogy - Equations of Life, Theories of Flight and Degrees of Freedom - Micah

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 02, 2014 10:42AM) (new)

Since we're reading Dune in Oct anyways, I thought about nominating The Great Dune Trilogy. But I also kinda liked the idea of Jack McDevitt's Academy books 1-3 since I haven't read them in forever ....

However, I've decided to go with a series I've never read read and always meant to. I'm nominating Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space books 1-3 - Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Ooh... Seconded. I remember reading the first few Revelation Space books years ago and loving them.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

message 5: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 75 comments I'm wondering if I'll have time to read a whole trilogy, and today many series seem to be in four parts. I'll think about it.
Stormwarden / Keeper of the Keys / Shadowfane is a good early trilogy by Janny Wurts, not too long, if anyone's similarly time-poor. Lots of magic and varieties of demons.
Shadowfane
Shadowfane (The Cycle of Fire, #3) by Janny Wurts

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Clare, I haven't read that series, and it looks interesting, but this time around we're nominating science fiction series .....

message 7: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K I would like to nominate the Uplift Trilogy...Sundiver, Startide Rising, and The Uplift War

message 8: by Andreea (new)

Andreea Pausan | 19 comments Hi, I would like to second the Brin trilogy.

message 9: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 23 comments I read the Uplift series many moons ago and would love to read it again.

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Suzanne (andrewsuzanne) | 9 comments I'd like to nominate the Tears of Artamon trilogy, which starts with Lord of Snow and Shadows .

I'm incredibly picky when it comes to picking up new books/authors and usually require an overwhelming amount of recommendations to start one. I picked this one out at random at a library just to spite myself and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I got sucked in.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah, that's Fantasy and this is a Science Fiction round ... :(

Athena Shardbearer | 12 comments I nominate Dawn Xenogenesis Trilogy Octavia E. Butler

message 14: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 89 comments I tried to read the Uplift series. I read the first book and had to give up in the middle of the second. The dolphins were just so annoying. Please give it a miss and don't vote for it. The other three are just so much better.

message 15: by JSWolf (last edited Aug 09, 2014 10:11AM) (new)

JSWolf | 89 comments Clare wrote: "I'm wondering if I'll have time to read a whole trilogy, and today many series seem to be in four parts. I'll think about it.
Stormwarden / Keeper of the Keys / Shadowfane is a good early trilogy ..."

I'll second "Stormwarden / Keeper of the Keys / Shadowfane by Janny Wurts".

message 16: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 233 comments I nominate Simon Morden's The Petrovitch Trilogy, which conveniently is available in one ebook edition.

message 17: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 42 comments Athena (Shardbearer) wrote: "I nominate Dawn Xenogenesis Trilogy Octavia E. Butler"

Second this. Brilliant scifi

Athena Shardbearer | 12 comments Bev wrote: "Athena (Shardbearer) wrote: "I nominate Dawn Xenogenesis Trilogy Octavia E. Butler"

Second this. Brilliant scifi"

I've had it on my TBR pile for some time now.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael This is a really great list - I'd be happy reading any of these.

message 20: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 89 comments I might be able to do this as long as Davie Brin loses.

message 21: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K JSWolf wrote: "I might be able to do this as long as Davie Brin loses."

lol JS-I was thinking anything but Butler-----

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Both Brin and Butler are actually fairly good by a large magnitude when compared with a lot of the stuff nowadays. Alas, I've read both, and not up for a reread of either at this time.

Asimov is kicking ass in the poll; I never read the third in the trilogy, so at least there is that.

message 23: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 89 comments I could not get past Sundiver. The dolphins were just really really annoying.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read the 2nd & 3rd in the Brin trilogy, all of the Butler and enjoyed both.

In this set of six, I've haven't read the Dick, Reynolds or Morden series.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought for sure this fantastic list would require a run-off but Clare will be leading the discussion on Isaac Asimov's - Foundation Trilogy starting in October.