What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > YA Modern Hero themed book. Spoilers ahead. (The Quantum Prophecy Series)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mattie (last edited Jun 27, 2018 04:50PM) (new)

Mattie | 15 comments Maybe back in 2012, a little later, I read a book that I never got to finish but am really interested in now.

The protagonist is a teenage boy whose father and/or mother are well known superheroes. He has a best friend who has powers like his parents, which is to crystallize (?) herself. I don't know much about the plot other than the fact that the protagonist for some reason didn't seem to have powers like his father and/or mother. This really disappointed his father.

[SPOILERS]

If I remember correctly, the book starts with the protag and his friend (the girl with the hardening/crystallization powers) in a burning building trying to save people or trying to escape. She uses her power to avoid burning, and he ends up having to carry her out. After this whole incident, he and the girl are brought home and are crowded with paparazzi? His father takes him to a school or institute in the mountains to try and help the protag figure out his powers. A main scene I remember most is his father pushing the protag out of a helicopter to see if he could fly like him, thinking the situation would activate flight. It doesn't and the father ends up having to rescue him, again, disappointed.

That's where I stopped reading years ago and I haven't been able to find it again. If it helps, the book had a black cover with the silhouette of a boy in blue.

Please help me find this! It's driving me crazy, haha.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36640 comments Mod
Mattie, what kind of powers do his parents possess? What are their regular jobs? Does he have siblings?

Where do they live - country, region, big city/small town, fantasy world, etc.?

message 3: by Incog (new)

Incog Nito | 100 comments The Rise of Renegade X (Renegade X, #1) by Chelsea M Campbell

message 4: by Martin (new)

Martin | 30 comments Its the quantum prophecy series by Michael Carroll. The UK version is called the New Heroes. You're describing things that happened in more than one book, but I'm pretty confident that this is the series.

message 5: by Mattie (last edited Jul 15, 2018 09:28PM) (new)

Mattie | 15 comments Kris wrote: "Mattie, what kind of powers do his parents possess? What are their regular jobs? Does he have siblings?

Where do they live - country, region, big city/small town, fantasy world, etc.?"

Apologize for late response! I believe the father could fly, but it's possible it might be the mother. I think it takes place in Europe, and I'm unsure of any other details you asked of because I never got the chance to finish reading it when I was younger.

message 6: by Mattie (new)

Mattie | 15 comments Martin wrote: "Its the quantum prophecy series by Michael Carroll. The UK version is called the New Heroes. You're describing things that happened in more than one book, but I'm pretty confident that this is the ..."

Hi! I just looked it up and there are so many books in this series... But I think this might be it judging from the summary of "The Gathering"! I'm still a little unsure because all the covers I've seen online aren't at all what I remember it looking like, and I can't seem to find the part where the protagonist doesn't have a power (?), but I'll check it out!! Thank you very much!

message 7: by Kris (last edited Jul 16, 2018 07:12AM) (new)

Kris | 36640 comments Mod
Here's the link for The New Heroes / Quantum Prophery series by Michael Carroll - Martin's suggestion.

Here's the Amazon "Look Inside" preview of:
- The Awakening (Book 1): https://www.amazon.com/Awakening-1-Qu...
- The Gathering (Book 2): https://www.amazon.com/Gathering-Book...
There are different cover images.

message 8: by Martin (last edited Jul 19, 2018 09:59AM) (new)

Martin | 30 comments I think I remember that the protagonist (Collin), doesnt have powers right in the beginning but he develops them early on in the book. Also, his father was superstrong and could fly and his mother had energy powers. Also, that link from Kris for the Gathering shows a boy's silhouette in blue

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Awakening (other topics)
The Gathering (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael Carroll (other topics)