Stephen King Fans discussion

Short Stories & Collections > Best and worst short stories/short story collections?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Self explanatory, just wanting to know what you all consider the best and worst of King's short stories and collections!

message 2: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Wilkins I would say that Full Dark, No Stars, Skeleton Crew, and Different Seasons are his best collections.

I would say that his best stories in those collections are probably The Mist, 1922, A Good Marriage, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, and The Body (although nearly every story in those collections are very good).

Although it still has some entertaining stories in it, Just After Sunset wasn't as great of a collection as the others I've mentioned.

I have never read Everything's Eventual or Night Shift.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) | 83 comments Best Short Story (more of a novella really though) - The Long Walk

Worst - Either "Battleground" or "Trucks" They just kind of bored me.

I think his best collection of stories is either "Skeleton Crew" or "Night Shift" While his worst is probably "Just After Sunset"

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom | 78 comments What was it called? The Boogeyman in Night Shift was some scary stuff back in the day

message 5: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 15 comments Tom wrote: "What was it called? The Boogeyman in Night Shift was some scary stuff back in the day"

I agree! To this day, I hate to see a closet door left cracked open o.O

message 6: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 15 comments I loved Night Shift. Its probably my favorite King book overall, although I do think The Shining is his best novel. So many cool movies and shows came out of Night Shift. It just seemed like he was really at his best back then when he was writing those stories.

As far as his worst goes, I just couldn't get into Full Dark, No Stars. I didn't hate it, but it seemed like he was going out of his way to make the stories dark (which is sort of implied by the title.) My point being, he seemed to be more worried about the stories being dark than being good.

message 7: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 15 comments Jacob wrote: "I would say that Full Dark, No Stars, Skeleton Crew, and Different Seasons are his best collections.

I would say that his best stories in those collections are probably The Mist, 1922, A Good Mar..."

If you haven't read Night Shift, you really should! Similar to Skeleton Crew but I really thought it was better.

message 8: by Kierstin (new)

Kierstin Martin (Paperdaisy) | 7 comments Hello!
I just purchased Needful Things and Desperation by Stephen King. I'm really really confused on what is a novel series and what isn't from the two. If someone could tell me the order of any of the Stephen King series, I'd love you forever.
Thank you!
Kier

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) | 83 comments Kierstin wrote: "Hello!
I just purchased Needful Things and Desperation by Stephen King. I'm really really confused on what is a novel series and what isn't from the two. If someone could tell me the order of any o..."

Hi Kierstin!

Most of Stephen King's novels are stand alone. You can read them in any order. Lots of characters from different novels show up in other novels he wrote, but that has no bearing on being able to understand or follow the plot. Like with Needful Things, the sheriff in that book was also in an earlier book of his called "The Dark Half" but the two are not related and can be read seperately. Here's a list of his books with sequels and the order to read them in for you. Hope this helps :)

The Shining
Doctor Sleep is the sequel to The Shining

The Dark Tower Saga and the order to read them in:
The Gunslinger
The Drawing of the Three
The Waste Lands
Wizard and Glass
Wolves of the Calla
Song of Susannah
The Dark Tower
The Wind Through the Keyhole

The Talisman
Black House (the sequel to The Talisman)

Desperation and The Regulators have the same cast of characters, but they are set in different time periods and can be read seperately.

message 10: by Kierstin (new)

Kierstin Martin (Paperdaisy) | 7 comments Thank you SO much, Chris!! That was all written down and I'll be sure to look at the order all the time. Thank you!
-Kier

message 11: by Trevor (last edited Nov 20, 2014 07:09AM) (new)

Trevor Johnson (trevorjohnson) Haven't read them all but Night Shift is definitely the best of those that I have (unless we're counting Different Seasons but I guess those are novellas). I remember being v excited at buying Skeleton Crew when I was about 15 and getting on the train home and starting to feel a sense of disappointment that never lifted! Just bought Full Dark, No Stars and have high hopes. Oh hang on, that's novella, too. Oh well. NIGHT SHIFT!

message 12: by Glen (new)

Glen | 215 comments http://whatculture.com/books/13-best-...

I admittedly have not read all of these and perhaps haven't heard of a few. There should have been some listed from Full Dark No Stars in my mind.

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) | 83 comments Glen wrote: "http://whatculture.com/books/13-best-...

I admittedly have not read all of these and perhaps haven't heard of a few. There should have been some listed from ..."

Those are more along the lines of novellas than short stories, which is probably why they weren't included. I do agree though that collection was wonderful. Probably the bleakest thing King has written since Pet Sematary.

message 14: by José (new)

José (lectorconstante19) My all time favourite short story collection is Night Shift,it has many memorable stories such as Quitters,Inc.,Children of the Corn and the Boogeyman that really scared me when I read them.

The "worst" short stories collection to me is Just after sunset,not because it was bad but for the lack of remakable stories,the only stories that I really liked from that collection was "N" and "The cat from Hell".

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 13 comments Skeleton Crew and Night Shift were my favorites!

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Leoni | 180 comments Full Dark No Stars it'a been an amazing surprise, given that Just After Sunset was probably the worst one he's ever done

message 17: by Luis (new)

Luis | 5 comments From the ones I have read, I can say that Skeleton Crew and Everything's Eventual were my favorites! Night Shift was not bad but if I had to choose my least favorite, that would be it.

I'm sure that books like Full Dark, No Stars and Different Seasons, are more like Novella collections, but Different Seasons was still amazing.

message 18: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Night Shift has my vote as well. Graveyard Shift is my favourite short story.

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris Leeper | 7 comments How about Gingerbread Girl? thoughts anyone?

message 20: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (klpurcell) I forget which one it is, but the collection with N. (Just After Sunset????) still gets me. Granted, the only one I vividly remember is N., but that story will STICK WITH YOU. I think I read it two years ago and I'm still scared of clearings with rocks.

message 21: by Greg (last edited Jan 24, 2018 10:23AM) (new)

Greg (popzeus) Bazaar of a Bad Dreams by far the worst, for me. Have loved all his other collections, with Night Shift shading it as the best, and maybe my hopes were too high for it. Will have to reread with lowered expectations.

message 22: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Chris wrote: "How about Gingerbread Girl? thoughts anyone?"

I thought Gingerbread Girl was great. It's available as a single audiobook, perfect for short trips somewhere... well read.

message 23: by ElleEm (new)

ElleEm | 260 comments I enjoyed Gingerbread Girl very much as well.

I also thought Bazaar of Bad Dreams was great as well.

message 24: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments ElleEm wrote: "I enjoyed Gingerbread Girl very much as well.

I also thought Bazaar of Bad Dreams was great as well."

I loved Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

message 25: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Nick wrote: "Chris wrote: "How about Gingerbread Girl? thoughts anyone?"

I thought Gingerbread Girl was great. It's available as a single audiobook, perfect for short trips somewhere... well read."

Here's my review of Bazaar...

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...